Making INF more newbie-friendly...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
Tutorial like in soldier of fortune and other games would be a good idea IMO. Something that gives u weapons and lets u shoot them, as well as some obstacle course to get used to movement, and more detailed information about weapons in the armory, such as velocity, rate of fire, recoil, effective ranges etc.
Making this game more newbie-friendly is something we really need IMO.
Oh and a shooting range with moving targets would be cool too.

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
I thought I would be possibly done with an EAS conversion of shooting range, with objective actors on tagets and things like that... EAS is so damn customisable that I doupt it would be to difficult.

For the voice, don't we have any RL instructors left in the community? I know we had at least one or two, if they didn't ran away like many old-timer did.

Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
fist_mlrs said:
it can be easily done with eas and maybe a few extra actors, but unless there are some voice messages it would be rather boring

Is context sensitive screen text easy to do? Forcing the player to create a custom loadout during 'bootcamp' might be a good idea as well, if possible.

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
Nukeproof said:
Is context sensitive screen text easy to do? Forcing the player to create a custom loadout during 'bootcamp' might be a good idea as well, if possible.
not for me at least. it might be possible with lots of coding though.
Ill be more than happy to help in any way I can. Just tell me what to record.
well, lets see... i think its best to go with a new shooting range to have all we need close together. stations we'd need are:
1. basic controlls like sprint, duck, pronecrawl. a little obstacle course would do this just fine.
2. grab a rifle and shot a few targets. we'd need to decide what rifle to choose, it better be someting good looking, so my favorite would be the g3 once it is released.. till then we could just use the sig or famas
3. sniper rifles. same thing as before, i would suggest m16 + acoc.
3. grenades, smoke grenades, signal flares, stationary mg
4. claymores

so we'd need a basic layout for these. for all but 1) it should be easy:
-grab the *** over there
-(telling some stuff about the weapon)
-swich to single fire mode
-swich to auto fire mode
-aim
-controll breath
-fire
-different stances and why to use them

since it is ment to be a tutorial it might be nice to include advicen on how to do it, so we don't need to spam the display with text messages:
-press your use key when next to the weapon to pick it up
-press your right mouse button to aim your weapon
-press and hold aim to controll your breath
-press your swich weapon fire mode key, default is ***, to swich your firing mode

other then that we'll need
-explain how to use an grenade (fire one, fire two, strength of the throw)
-use of the smoke grenades and signal flares
-use of the stationary machine gun
-use of a claymore

the obstacle course could be simmular to ofp, but i'll have to do a layout for it first, so i can't tell what we need right now...

Last edited:

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
a few options for obstacles:
1. strafing, pronecrawling
2. duck - prone - duck - jump- duck - prone
3. run along the board

i think these should be all we need, the only question would be the order in which they are executed

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 31
Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
I had another idea:

How about providing some more tips and something of the INF atmosphere at the end of the obstacle course?

The drillsergeants speech could go like this:

"Congratulations soldier, you just passed bootcamp and learned the very basic maneuvers! But keep in mind: you are NOT John Rambo* and this ain't no John Woo movie!
I advise you to visit the armory and get familiar with all the beautiful killing tools we have at hand. Frequent the shooting range and do some training with your AI comrades.

Before you move into war against real man be warned: The battles out there are dominated by well trained veterans, better prepare for some major ass-kick! But it's not about gaining mastership in a day, its about keeping up your moral, standup and keep fighting back!

And don't make yourself look like an idiot by calling yourself 'INF_Player' or asking questions abour the disappearing of the crosshair! Real man don't need no stinking crosshair! And be warned: silly tactics like circlestrafing and bunnyhopping will lead to nothing but inglorious death! So rather keep you head low and aim for a good shot.

Once you are on a real mission its all about you team, tactics and communication. Work together with you comrades watch each others back and concentrate on the mission goal.

If you encounter any problem don't hesitate to consult the forums in the internet.

That's all for now, step away and welcome to INFILTRATION!"

You native guys will figure how to put this into proper english with military slang ;)

What do you think?

* unlike you NTKB ;)

Last edited:

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
Hehehe im actually having a hard time going about it the right way. It sounds right but the wording doesnt feel right. If someone could throw together an introduction that would be nice.