making big buildings and such

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NiftyBoy

Dandified
Mar 29, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
when you guys want to make something like a big facility with an outside area or an open map with something like a house in the middle, how do you plan out how big to make the compassing brush to subtract around everything?

sorry if ya didnt understand that :p

afkik

Dec 23, 2000
Munich
Visit site
so in other words you just want a map with a building or something in the middle?

I just make a large outdoor area, and add to it the building easy as that, if thats what you are looking for :)

Techno JF

He Who Has Powerful Words
It can sometimes be a case of trial and error. You start by subtracting an area that you think will work. After you do a little building in it, you can then decide if it's too large or too small, and then to deal with this problem, you can subtract another area over the whole thing that you expect to be the right size. Then delete the original subtracted area, set the new area's brush order to be first, and rebuild.

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
Just make a huge asz area and build your building floating in the air, then if you want people to be able to run around outside etc, make a new block!

I suggest making a bsp based block and making it about 128 tall, then pulling sections down etc and making nice terain!

Worked great for me!

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
Originally posted by MediocreTangerine
*is a heretic 2 mapper* so could i also just start adding brushes and then subtract a big area around it, or would that in a sense delete the brushes i made?
Bad idea. In uedthe void space you build in is actually solid. So you're subtracting stuff out. You could do what you mentioned but then you could not see your brushes, or texture them till you subtract the big area. What I do is make something larger than what I need and then later vertex edit it to size. The above methods also work as well but you need to remember to order your subtractionto first.

purice

coon dog
Dec 19, 1999
Visit site
terraedit.
i imported one of the liquid textures in liquid.utx to terraedit, smoothed it down a bit, exported it as a t3d and then imported it to unreal.

purice

coon dog
Dec 19, 1999
Visit site
Originally posted by The ultimate novice
How did you pull off that sky?!

you can't tell in the image, but i used a terraedit brush as the skybox. if you place the skyzoneinfo low enough in a valley you don't have to worry about the horizon. in this particular map you can see the horizon in a few spots.

Machismo

Up The Irons
Jul 21, 2001
MaidenHead
cloud.prohosting.com
Originally posted by Voodoo_180
Wow that terrain looks very nice :tup: wish i could do it like that... my attempts either have massive BSP holes streaking across them or look pretty sh1te :(

www.qeradiant.com - q3rmanual has an explanation bu PaulJ on how id used bitmaps to gen terrain in q3r. nice techniques that i found pretty helpful to apply to terrain.

www.planetunreal.com/fordy/terra.htm - link to a tute.

@ purice good job with the terrain. looking SystemShock like quality.