makes your life easier :)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

sir_edmond

In my own world
Aug 12, 2003
Boston
Visit site
would you every consider a tac map for planing and for showing hot points on a map. you know have a key shows a map click on area a beacon signal goes out. and when the button has been pressed again the normal view wold be a small map showing a small area around you and team but not enemy (unless in team sight or something) so could someone make a mod like this or something. And maybe have an option where severs set 30 sec to hae the teams create a battle plan, and creat like a breifing style thing.

NeoLancer

«STS»Cypher
May 26, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
Visit site
sir_edmond said:
would you every consider a tac map for planing and for showing hot points on a map. you know have a key shows a map click on area a beacon signal goes out. and when the button has been pressed again the normal view wold be a small map showing a small area around you and team but not enemy (unless in team sight or something) so could someone make a mod like this or something. And maybe have an option where severs set 30 sec to hae the teams create a battle plan, and creat like a breifing style thing.

What saraP said. But, the last part would be an interesting idea. Perhaps would create some more teamplay on the pubs without wasting the time of players too much. Just some basic ideas such as 'so and so goes left, and so and so goes through this entrance' etc.

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Why are you so mean (i'm sorry, but you really sounded mean to me). Of course real soldiers don't have little maps in their head, but you are not a real soldier in infiltration. Real soldier have many support assets not available in infiltration, like topographic maps, tactical maps, centralized communication and command, air support, artillery support, etc. On part of his idea is to cover a part of this lack in external support.

Some parts of his ideas are interesting and worth studying, eventhough probably a little hard to implement.

Maybe you could elaborate more specifically on your ideas edmond, without, for the moment, getting into specific details like timing, usage. Try to get the general idea strait first.

kungpaosamuraiii

HOVER TANKS
Mar 31, 2002
Cali
SaraP is just that way.

I like it, gives the forums more personality. Jaunty too, it's just more interesting.. if mean at times.

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
geogob said:
... Real soldier have many support assets not available in infiltration, like topographic maps, tactical maps, centralized communication and command, air support, artillery support, etc. ...

At the level INF is representing a Real Soldier would be bloody lucky to have seen a halfway decent map of the ground he will be fighting over and usually will have to make do with your section commanders improvised map/model. Even in these days of cheap small and light-weight radios your average INF trooper won't have a personal radio and even if he did a radio network is a VERY complicated thing. His personal radio won't be tied into your company or battalion net as it would make it too big and too insecure. Battle field comms rely on being able to exchange vital information quickly, efficently and SECURILY. An insecure radio network is more lethal than a loaded rifle.

AT this level the only dedicated support element you might have available would be a light mortar tube, possibly a couple of medium mortar tubes but no more. Artillery and airstrikes, while possibly called in by a section would only be available in support of your company or battlion or as part of a planned attack.

So from all this you might understand when I support SaraP and say that this idea isn't adding anything to the realism of INF. Tools exist already to help you keep track of team members although this only helps if you actually have people on your side who are playing as a team.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
I think a map display would be nifty.

Things like that seem to promote team-play and help newbies get up to speed with maps quickly.

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Tiffy said:
At the level INF is representing a Real Soldier would be bloody lucky to have seen a halfway decent map of the ground he will be fighting over and usually will have to make do with your section commanders improvised map/model. Even in these days of cheap small and light-weight radios your average INF trooper won't have a personal radio and even if he did a radio network is a VERY complicated thing. His personal radio won't be tied into your company or battalion net as it would make it too big and too insecure. Battle field comms rely on being able to exchange vital information quickly, efficently and SECURILY. An insecure radio network is more lethal than a loaded rifle.

AT this level the only dedicated support element you might have available would be a light mortar tube, possibly a couple of medium mortar tubes but no more. Artillery and airstrikes, while possibly called in by a section would only be available in support of your company or battlion or as part of a planned attack.

So from all this you might understand when I support SaraP and say that this idea isn't adding anything to the realism of INF. Tools exist already to help you keep track of team members although this only helps if you actually have people on your side who are playing as a team.

Got your point. But I still think that military operations in Real Life tend to be more organised and have more support assets then available in Infiltration. But that's not really the point. The suggestion of a HUD integrated map is interesting and that is not to show team members but to actually show the map, objectives, waypoints. Planned attack routes could be displayed on the map for Attackers to facilitate coordination in game (alternative to the improvised map drawn in the sand), etc. IMO, if it shows player position, it's too much. Showing player positions during radio communication would be borderline but interesting (like with utcompass).

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
geogob said:
Got your point. But I still think that military operations in Real Life tend to be more organised and have more support assets then available in Infiltration. But that's not really the point. The suggestion of a HUD integrated map is interesting and that is not to show team members but to actually show the map, objectives, waypoints. Planned attack routes could be displayed on the map for Attackers to facilitate coordination in game (alternative to the improvised map drawn in the sand), etc. IMO, if it shows player position, it's too much. Showing player positions during radio communication would be borderline but interesting (like with utcompass).

Disagreeing with Tiffy on any matter regarding real military practices and equipment is a battle you're guaranteed to lose . He's a British Army armorer with a few decades of experience under his belt, which means he knows infinitely more about all things combat than you or I or anyone else here.

Last edited:

sir_edmond

In my own world
Aug 12, 2003
Boston
Visit site
not every thing is made up saraand the little radar map could be like yur knowlage aroung the area I mean IRL you do get a rundown of the land and gives youmaps and stuff, and it gives you a idea where your know what to do and such and we can screw the campass. and what good is plans if the rest of the team cant see em.

p.s. and I too know latin :) (atleast thats what i think it is)

Last edited:

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
sir_edmond said:
not every thing is made up saraand the little radar map could be like yur knowlage aroung the area I mean IRL you do get a rundown of the land and gives youmaps and stuff, and it gives you a idea where your know what to do and such and we can screw the campass. and what good is plans if the rest of the team cant see em.

p.s. and I too know latin :) (atleast thats what i think it is)

Did you even read what Tiffy said?

"At the level INF is representing a Real Soldier would be bloody lucky to have seen a halfway decent map of the ground he will be fighting over and usually will have to make do with your section commanders improvised map/model.

You might get to see a crudely sketched general map of the area during a pre-mission briefing, but soldiers as a rule don't have maps in the field. Not even spec-forces; if they're targetting a specific area, they'll train on life-sized replicas but they still won't carry actual maps. You don't have TIME to refer to a map in the middle of a BATTLE!

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
SaraP said:
Disagreeing with Tiffy on any matter regarding real military practices and equipment is a battle you're guaranteed to lose . He's a British Army armorer with a few decades of experience under his belt, which means he knows infinitely more about all things combat than you or I or anyone else here.

I'm not disagreeing with Tiffy. I would never even thing of teaching other lessons about the military here because I'm not a fool and I'm obviously aware that most of you know more then I will ever know on this topic.

My initial list of support assets was based on some misconceptions I had and Tiffy straitened that up pretty fast. Thx for that. I'd be curious to read more on how military operations at the inf level are carried out. That would be a good read.

Now, back on topic. If you read my last intervention correcly, you'll see that I simpy said that (and I sincerly hope Tiffy agrees... else I got a lot of reading to do ;) ) that in real life, things tend to be more organized then in infiltration. When not playing as a clan, the lack of leadership doesn't help very much. From Edmonds initial suggestion, it is possible to see a solution to help getting teams more organized, especially with NEW players around (which is good for the community) who are unfamiliar with urban warfare and with the map layout.

Just think about it. Your are new inf player playing on Tuscany and another player Asks you for support on the way to gun A. Even if you have check the map layout once before or checked the brefings (which you probably didn't do if you are a new player) you might get lost. And the other will never get their support in time. This is just an exemple on how a feature *similar* to what edmonds originaly suggested _might_ be of interest in game. I don't agree though with the radar idea. Simply a map with attack paths, objectives, and objective status.

Edit: SaraP, I find your last comment (didn't read it before my post) quite interesting. Again I agree with you *but* military personal are trained to work this way. Infiltration players are not. Especially new players.

If you wan't to give all new inf players proper military training as they would in real life, go ahead. But there's a limit on how much real life you can bring in a game. But again, it is true that real soldiers have probably not the time to check a map. What the hell, in game, I don't even have time to check all the team chatters.

Last edited:

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
I agree with geogob. It would be nice to have a map with the objectives on it to look at. Or, if not a map, then have it be like UT Assault where they have pictures of the objectives in the F3 briefing. It would be a huge help to all the newbies.

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
Demosthanese said:
Best thing that I can think of is a mission briefing for every map. When you make a level, make a briefing for it.
Now this idea I like. It would mean that the mapper has to decide what is planned axis of advance is for the attackers map and what the defensive cover is for the defenders map (we have all remembered that these maps should be different haven't we).

I could even go along with something like this being on a function key to display it.

I don't agree with showing where people are on the map, no matter whos side or on showing tempory structers like sandbag implacements. I also don't agree with this map being always visable. If your looking at the map then i would expect it to fill a good part of your screen to prevent you from being fully aware of whats going on (just like in real live). It also means looking at the map is a dangerous think to do unless your position is secure (just like IRL again).

Apr 11, 2002
Dallas, TX
www.google.com
Actually, I had thought of just making a couple of jpegs to go with the .unr, but in game maps would be nice. F3 pops the quick objective list, F4 or something else pops up the map and brings up a cursor for tabbing through the maps if there are multiple maps for your team(like one map for the compound and one for the building).