1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Make Something Unreal Live 2013 Winners

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Apr 13, 2013.

1. nELsOn

nELsOn bSnakeCastShadow = True

I knew there was something that put me off following MSUC just couldn't remember what it was.

As for the winner of this: maybe they'll get hired by Epic to bring BR back in UT4 (if that ever happens).

2. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

Yeah, the situation with that one was a bit shitty - (http://www.train2game.com/).

What's more depressing is how exploitative it is. I don't know how much the courses cost now, but they cost £5000 back in 2009 - which was actually more than the cost of degree tuition at that time (£3900). It feels like a scheme to get people who couldn't get into a university course.

The newest one was open to European students, which was a bit better. I think what made the MSUC though was the extended run-up, even spread of prizes, and the complete lack of barrier to entry for anyone.

3. RoadKillGrill

RoadKillGrill Got Lead?

If they defaulted BR without a trans it might have been better the first time. :lol:

4. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Member

Not surprising really that games don't come with editors anymore. Can't let people make mods when you have DLC to sell.

5. HugoMarques

HugoMarques ☆☆☆☆☆

Most publishers think like this but they're just really stupid. Bethesda endorses custom content. And they still sell DLC.

6. Gambit84

Gambit84 New Member

Am I the only one that thinks that game looks like complete shit?

7. Festering Anus

Festering Anus Cheeto Hans

8. Lruce Bee

Lruce Bee Transcending to another level

Didn't even know about this.
    I remember when the MSUC was a really big deal with modders - certainly from all the (then) major Unreal related sites - you'd get a massive amount of interest and submissions from all over the globe and Epic Games were hugely respected for their input and backing of the entire project.
    Winning it was very prestigious and if you weren't known before the competition, you pretty much became famous over night after winning and the entire network was buzzing around it.
    Jesus Christ, what a decline for this once awesome thing.

9. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

This is worded pretty well, a different way to put my disagreement with Epic's UDK pimping and major file cooking/encrypting for no more mod support on every flippin' UE3 titles.

If you want recognition you have to do it mostly from scratch in UDK - No one will ever get to really play it nor know how it plays like in an actual game.
    You can always use a 6 years old game and have 10 people downloading your map. Best bet! - Not exactly next gen in a portfolio.

Not to mention modding new games is like Xmas for modders.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  10. Kyllian

Kyllian if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;

Ya, there's a difference between tweaking what's available and building from near-scratch
    I did some stuff for 2k4, the xhair pack, some map tweakings, some weapons
    I wouldn't know where to start with UDK

11. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

It's not just about getting started, it's also motivation: IE. Why would you do it?
    With mods it's easy answer: Because I like the game.

12. Eyegore

Eyegore =================

Kantham, I'm agreeing with everything you said. in particular your last post