Make Something Unreal Live 2013 Winners

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
*The particular course is run by a for profit higher education company who doesn't hand out a recogniseable certificate at the end of it.

I knew there was something that put me off following MSUC just couldn't remember what it was.

As for the winner of this: maybe they'll get hired by Epic to bring BR back in UT4 (if that ever happens).

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Yeah, the situation with that one was a bit shitty - (http://www.train2game.com/).

What's more depressing is how exploitative it is. I don't know how much the courses cost now, but they cost £5000 back in 2009 - which was actually more than the cost of degree tuition at that time (£3900). It feels like a scheme to get people who couldn't get into a university course.

The newest one was open to European students, which was a bit better. I think what made the MSUC though was the extended run-up, even spread of prizes, and the complete lack of barrier to entry for anyone.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Didn't even know about this.
I remember when the MSUC was a really big deal with modders - certainly from all the (then) major Unreal related sites - you'd get a massive amount of interest and submissions from all over the globe and Epic Games were hugely respected for their input and backing of the entire project.
Winning it was very prestigious and if you weren't known before the competition, you pretty much became famous over night after winning and the entire network was buzzing around it.
Jesus Christ, what a decline for this once awesome thing.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Didn't even know about this.
I remember when the MSUC was a really big deal with modders - certainly from all the (then) major Unreal related sites - you'd get a massive amount of interest and submissions from all over the globe and Epic Games were hugely respected for their input and backing of the entire project.
Winning it was very prestigious and if you weren't known before the competition, you pretty much became famous over night after winning and the entire network was buzzing around it.
Jesus Christ, what a decline for this once awesome thing.

This is worded pretty well, a different way to put my disagreement with Epic's UDK pimping and major file cooking/encrypting for no more mod support on every flippin' UE3 titles.

If you want recognition you have to do it mostly from scratch in UDK - No one will ever get to really play it nor know how it plays like in an actual game.
You can always use a 6 years old game and have 10 people downloading your map. Best bet! - Not exactly next gen in a portfolio.

Not to mention modding new games is like Xmas for modders.

Last edited:

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Ya, there's a difference between tweaking what's available and building from near-scratch
I did some stuff for 2k4, the xhair pack, some map tweakings, some weapons
I wouldn't know where to start with UDK

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
It's not just about getting started, it's also motivation: IE. Why would you do it?
With mods it's easy answer: Because I like the game.