Make People Like UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
I mean, shouldn't a fast-paced, zero-time-to-spectacle game be absolutely perfect for the zero attention span generation? No endless skulking around or leveling up or any of that BS

People want grind these days, they want to spend a week doing the same thing over and over to increase their e-peen level in order to feel special, and to "show off" to people. "Oh ko! You didn't jump up and down across all maps to get 'pogo-stick' achievement!? I am better than you!" Repetitive grind and meaningless achievements are where it's at.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
you really believe they have the ability to do so, even at gun-point? I don't think so anymore. Once you go console, you're gone forever.

I think they have the ability to make a good UT4. I say that because the UT3 game play itself wasn't bad at all--it was just everything around it that was bad--but that's objective (not a chemistry issue) and that can be fixed with effort and desire; they made a good user interface for UT 2004 so they can do it again for UT4.

The issue is whether or not they have the desire to make a good UT4.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I think they have the ability to make a good UT4. I say that because the UT3 game play itself wasn't bad at all--it was just everything around it that was bad--but that's objective (not a chemistry issue) and that can be fixed with effort and desire; they made a good user interface for UT 2004 so they can do it again for UT4.

The issue is whether or not they have the desire to make a good UT4.
Bolded and underlined for ****ing emphasis. Finally, someone else has figured out the "problem" with UT3, if it were.

Doesn't stop me from playing it.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
The stars are states and snow represents purity. United States, where you are free as a bird in the clear skies.

Basically it's a metaphor, telling us that we should love the game.

Love lifts us up where we belong!
Where the eagles fly,
on a mountain high!

This is from the Elephant Love Medley in Moulin Rouge.

After defeating the Necris female in the final battle of the campaign I wished that he would make love to her instead of, you know...

TigerStyle

Sep 30, 2005
The stars are states and snow represents purity. United States, where you are free as a bird in the clear skies.

Basically it's a metaphor, telling us that we should love the game.

Love lifts us up where we belong!
Where the eagles fly,
on a mountain high!

This is from the Elephant Love Medley in Moulin Rouge.

After defeating the Necris female in the final battle of the campaign I wished that he would make love to her instead of, you know...
I want some of what your on. :D

Evill_Bob

Cheese Hopping Rocket Spammer
Dec 19, 2005
In your computer, duh.
OI! I'm saying stuff!

Well, if it helps. The one thing that drew me into the Unreal series is the forsaking of reality of UT2k4. With Counterstrike, Halo, Half-Life, etc going for a more believable environment where everything is getting predictable Unreal to me stood as a bastion on madness. The console version is popular because of this, if they wanted something unrealistic they had to go play a kid's game but that often had no multiplayer worth noting and more often didn't give the rush that you get with an action oriented game. UT3 is like crack to them. Unreal isn't dieing, it's massively successful on the console where they look at us yelling that they are ignorant for liking UT3 which is a decent game and thinking "What the Hell's their problem?" Anyways, Epic needs to embrace unreality in a gritty bloody environment where madness reigns supreme instead of trying to explain the importance of the flag in CTF into boredom. They'll lose most of their old fans that haven't been happy with them since Unreal and UT99 but I think they any hope of making you happy.

Second, Unreal would have never got passed Unreal Tournament if it wasn't for it's mod community. One could say that "oh it's our fault that UT3 failed" or be like me and think "Bitch, we own Unreal. Be nice Epic and we won't take off your balls and replace them with badgers." We need Chaos, Ballistic Weapons, Unreal 4 Ever (actually just dollbombs really), and Santa Hats. If we just abandon UT3 we should at least go to a new community instead of letting those candy ass Call of Duty fans win. I'm pretty sure Valve would just orgasm all over the place with the idea of Chaos: Source.

Back to my original point, many people hate the Juggernauts some loved them. But to those who hated them: Remember how good it felt every time you blew off their head or gibbed their "Attack of the Giant Gnome" ass? Or funny it was when the Gen Mo'kai's mobility fails horribly against a Redeemer :p. What about when you ran over a pack of "those circus freaks" or Nightmares in a Hellbender? (**** shooting them!) It added something for us to hate and take our hate on, cause no matter how hard you try you cannot frag UT3's map selection... well not in a satisfying bloody manner.

We need to get organized and tell Epic what we want instead of that they suck (that's why the XBox 360 is unpopular in Japan, they won't tell Microsoft what they want in an objective manner). And by "Tell them what we want" I don't mean "Tell them to be more like [insert Unreal title]." Insomniac's community works well by telling them what they want, and they are the only reason I still have faith in Sony. But if want to see what happens when a community would rather bitch than talk look at the Battletech community (well, only the video games for now). Wizkids took over (think of a EA only dealing with table top stuff and the games based after them and instead of a "monopolize and then crank out ****" attitude they have more of a "make product based on what community wants, if they don't like it **** them and move on to a new series) and made Mechwarrior 4 for the PC which received the same greeting UT3 did and Mechassault for the XBox which was heralded as the second coming of Christ. Wizkids pumped out two more Mechwarriors under the MW4 series which continued to get the same response and they released Mechassault 2 which was well loved. Unfortunately they pulled an EA at the end and released Mechassault: Phantom War thinking they could release anything for console and handheld and people would love it. They didn't and Wizkids went back to their actionclick system or whatever they call it and released Star Wars and later Halo tabletop games. Mechwarrior was left to die. Gears of War won't become Mechassault because Unreal has been adapted for console and people are loving it. But the PC version may suffer or go away, which would you rather have as your fan base? A group that you can give half assed games and they love it as long as the game is good game it doesn't matter if it could have been better (leave that for the sequel!) or a group that if it isn't so good that even the most deranged nostalgia couldn't over power it it is hated?

I'm not defending Epic, myself I'm calling them pussies and standing behind Bethesda and Valve. In fact I think what Unreal was is too far gone; give up Unreal 1 and UT99 fanatics that age is going the way of turn based RPGs. Of course I will keep a hopeful eye out hoping Epic and it's community can get along with each other so that Epic will know what their fans want and the community can supplement the games by adding more things that Epic cannot do due to time constraints, cannon, or legal reasons. In the mean time I'll be over at Facepunch and Epic Forums (not saying ANYTHING, they get a little ban happy but have a lot of stuff that warrants occasionally warming up UT3) occasionally checking back to see what Hide is doing or for any progress.

And maybe when I'm bored...

And maybe the funny gif thread...:(

(EDIT:
I want some of what your on. :D
What she is on is what this proud nation is founded on...
:cheers:BEER!!!:cheers:

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2006
Back to my original point, many people hate the Juggernauts some loved them. But to those who hated them: Remember how good it felt every time you blew off their head or gibbed their "Attack of the Giant Gnome" ass?

No.

Rest of the 5000 word essay.

I seriously doubt that most people who aren't playing UT3 are failing to play UT3 for the reasons you've identified (e.g. Not retarded enough, etc.). The shortcomings are all well known at this point (netcode, visibility, requirements, UI, etc).

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Cold as ice, but I do love ice cream.

There was this thing about asking for things in a polite way and that won't work because pretty much of it all was decided to simply be cut.

Microsoft and Sony have lured Epic away from the PC to console heavens. If Intel, nVidia or some other big league PC hardware company decided to pull them back with lots of support, free-bees and advertisement, then we PC users might stand a chance. Microsoft won't do that because they want it all and they can with their very own console system.

Perhaps a law firm should draw up a class action law suit against Microsoft claiming that consoles make kids stupid when they could have a real computer instead.

Everybody Can-Can!
Cuz we can, can, can!
Yes, we can, can, can!
Yes, we can, can, can!
Cuz we can, can, can!
Yes, we can, can, can!
Yes, we can, can, can, can, can, can, can, can, can!
Everybody can-can!
Outside it may be rainy
But in here it's entertaining!

Just another lyrics snippet from Moulin Rouge, it's Zidler's Can Can.

Last edited:

Evill_Bob

Dec 19, 2005
In your computer, duh.
I seriously doubt that most people who aren't playing UT3 are failing to play UT3 for the reasons you've identified (e.g. Not retarded enough, etc.). The shortcomings are all well known at this point (netcode, visibility, requirements, UI, etc).

Oh sounds like another one of ya freaks that will use every word that translates into "unreal" to describe Unreal except "unreal". Yeah it's silly, that's because it's unrealistic. Everything about Unreal is silly with an extra coat of grime on it. It's like Tank Girl with less colors. You can't have a rocket launcher that lazily shoots grenades (missiles that behave like a grenade instead of a long cylinder) or instantly healing from a bullet wound by touching a giant glowing keg and claim that it's serious without someone emitting a chuckle.

EDIT:
Cold as ice, but I do love ice cream.

There was this thing about asking for things in a polite way and that won't work because pretty much of it all was decided to simply be cut.

Microsoft and Sony have lured Epic away from the PC to console heavens. If Intel, nVidia or some other big league PC hardware company decided to pull them back with lots of support, free-bees and advertisement, then we PC users might stand a chance. Microsoft won't do that because they want it all and they can with their very own console system.

Perhaps a law firm should draw up a class action law suit against Microsoft claiming that consoles makes kids stupid when they could have a real computer instead.

Everybody Can-Can!
Cuz we can, can, can!
Yes, we can, can, can!
Yes, we can, can, can!
Cuz we can, can, can!
Yes, we can, can, can!
Yes, we can, can, can, can, can, can, can, can, can!
Everybody can-can!
Outside it may be rainy
But in here it's entertaining!

Just another lyrics snippet from Moulin Rouge, it's Zidler's Can Can.

It's not so much the consoles luring them away is that it is Epic is another money making company that likes profits and feels no remorse over dumping a bunch of people who don't like them anyways. Plus they feel safe on consoles with they're crazy piratephobia. (shhh... don't tell them that they're on modified consoles too... let them be happy for a little bit. ;))

And thank you for being a polite and giving me a detailed reason. Though I don't get the point of adding the song :(

Last edited:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Why the song? Because I can-can-can!

If you don't think that money is forcing your hand then you don't know yourself.

X360 ain't safe from piracy either, but what I do know is that you could easily hook up a keyboard and a mouse to it for running a windows based operative system with web browsers, word processors, software development environments and other useful stuff if Microsoft just developed it. Oh no, they just want you to game your life and money away. They have been over tobacco and alcohol companies, guess who's next? First I want to hear the malarkey that goes well with the regular zanyism and then I want to see the ridiculous victory in court. Games are designed to be addictive and they are targeting minors, introducing violence as a maturity badge.

I am that insane kind of person that can both think and live outside the box now and then.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site

It's a little too simplistic to just put all of the blame on the user interface and the server browser and it gives UT3 partisans a big target to swing at. The game has some other problems--inability to bind taunts (I think taunting is fun), inability to bind communication comments ("Cover me", "Enemy Flag Carrier is Here"), can't throw weapons, and the big one for Warfare--the vehicles just don't feel right and you can't have a first person view (big problem in the Raptor). Many people would still prefer to have an unlimited translocator.

My point is that UT3's gameplay, while pretty good and having an excellent feel for the player movement, isn't perfect--that might be one reason why people choose to play UT 2004 Onlsaught over UT3 Warfare. (I have both and prefer UT 2004 Onslaught.)

Evill_Bob

Dec 19, 2005
In your computer, duh.
I preferred third person view usually, probably because after Ultimate Doom I got into TPS games so it never bothered me. But anyways, I have to admit that I liked Onslaught over Warfare even though I love how the vehicles handle now (leave the Warthog effect to Halo). I liked all of the super weapons and knew how to use the effectively (Airstrikes are not for Mantas) but they're now gone, the massive sprawling maps are gone (from all game modes), that damn ball adds fun to some maps and annoyance to others, and the design of UT3's Warfare Maps just isn't good anymore. That much I'll admit but the new vehicles do make up for it a bit, if they would just pair the new and updated vehicles into UT2k4 maps plus the hoverboard (you can always turn it off if ya don't want it) and add more super weapons it would be awesome (as long as they keep the ball out of levels that really don't need it).

EDIT: Oh and Fuzz I do think think money is the leading factor here but I'm not so sure it's all in bribes from companies. I think that companies just don't realize that piracy is just as big on the console as the PC. Else there would be even more annoying little things in a vain attempt to stop piracy. I could be wrong but then again I'm not going to loose sleep over it.

EDIT2: I haven't found the preverbal box yet so my thinking is often abstract bordering on madness and genius depending if it works or not.

Last edited:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
When there are few maps and few options people are more likely to have had enough and get tired of playing.

Perhaps console companies are looking the other way when piracy occur because you still need their precious hardware to play the game anyway. It's kind of a competition, the most pirated console will be naturally be the most bought one. Of course they are making examples out of people that are too liberal in the sharing community, but other than that not much is going down.

According to simple search comparisons on leading tracker sources "Xbox 360" is leading over "PS3" by far. Maybe Microsoft have learned that software popularity and too much propertarian control don't go hand in hand. Sales are good if elite people without moral concerns choose to use the same stuff, but I am not a console user, so I don't know for sure.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
WARfare maps

There are quite a few map remakes and maps in the style of UT2K4. There are also some in the works that many are very excited about.

Here is the link to the Sept T5K We Own Your Core event
http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=621008

Here is the download link for the map pack.
http://www.unrealmediaservices.net/t5k/T5K_WeOwnYourCore_WarfareMapPack200809.zip

This 1.5Gb zip contains these maps,
WAR-Alien_Sands_UGL_V3a -> remake of Crossfire
WAR-Beachfront 1.3 -> large map
WAR-Carnage Canyon Beta2
WAR-ChainsIsle Revisited -> UT2K4 remake
WAR-Dune -> large ONS style map
WAR- Infection Forest V3
WAR-Kokomodo RC1 -> no orb ONS style huge map
WAR-Molten Core Beta1 -> very large map
WAR-Primeval_SE -> UT2K4 remake
WAR-Psycho Tropix -> large map
WAR-RedRoute Remix -> UT2K4 remake
WAR-Rivalen RC4 -> Dria remake
WAR-Sentinels -> Severence remake
WAR-SnakeBite ->Frostbite remake
WAR-SpamBox
WAR-Spires RC1 -> huge map
WAR-Synapse
WAR-TanksForPlaying
WAR-Terra Sirenum Beta4 -> huge map
WAR-Torlan[UT2004] -->> UT2k4 Torlan remake
WAR-Torlan_Winter RC1 -->> BEST Torlan map ever! Best of both worlds
WAR-Valley _> winner Round 1 MSUC
WAR-VapulaV2 -> large map
WAR-WasteLands Beta1 -> very large map
WAR-Zero Impact -> UT2K4 remake

Here is the Halloween Havoc map pack for the WARfare event on 25 Oct
http://www.clan-bge.com/Downloads/T5kBGE_HavocPack.zip

Here is a link to the EVENT thread on the EPIC forums,
http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=626692

This thread was the BGE make war not love custom map party in Aug.
http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=617194

You may want to just download individual maps as some were beta versions, or just the map pack. Here is the map pack,
http://dev3.twitchhosting.com/ut3/mappack/BGEwar_mappack1.7z

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Evil_Bob said:
I'm not defending Epic
Someone feeling the need to make this disclaimer when posting on an Unreal fan forum shows why they don't care about PC players anymore. It's mutual and the PC players were the ones that started it.

Instead of releasing UT2003, they should have called it Unreal Championship for PC" or something ...

Last edited: