Make People Like UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
You know the battles are up to 100 v 100, right? And there is a separate server for every battle ground. It would be very hard to run all those servers off a free to play game.

Well, I don't know that much about it, it sounded cool, but I was sort of avoiding reading up and getting too excited because I figured it would probably be subscription-based.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
People like Gears of War, so lets use it's resources and make some maps for UT3.

Our best bet at this point might be to keep UT 2004 alive and to sell people on UT 2004 Onslaught and Invasion-RPG. I'd say that we should try to sell people on playing UT99 too but it's almost impossible to find populated (public) regular weapons CTF servers now.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'd rather not try to get people to play UT if we have to try to sell them on UT2004. We've already tried that for 3 years.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
I'd rather not try to get people to play UT if we have to try to sell them on UT2004. We've already tried that for 3 years.

Which resulted in nice UT2k4 tourneys for official and unofficial gametypes that are still being held (October 2008) even in private communities (i.e: not Clanbase or alike). Unfortunately I had to work for so much time recently that I missed that nice tourney and all teams are filled already and even a lot others are waiting to be substitutes. :(

Well, I guess it will be the same for UT3 in 3.5 years... :lol:

Riz

Sep 12, 2002
Visit site
Sys Req are too high for UT3 to a be a popular game, maybe in 1-2 years, but by then ull have a newer, better games.
Yes it can look pretty but framerate drops in the most important moments are unbearable. so i end up playing at 800x600 - it looks ugly. at the same time i can fire up UT2004 utterly maxed out at 1200x1000 and it looks damn pretty, and it plays well.
to enjoy UT3 not only grafix card needs to be quick, CPU matters even more. mine AMD X2 4800+ can not cope well above 800x600 :(

UT3 bench CTF-Coret:
640x480 avg 98fps
800x600 avg 75fps
1024x768 avg 53fps

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Well, what else is there to sell them on? UT3's relatively empty server browser with few populated servers?
I'd rather sell them on UT or some other series altogether :)

Also, UT3's server browser wouldn't be empty if people were playing it :p

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
OK, here we go again...

UT3 needs to be reborn as a crazy, no holds barred TC. Nudity, extreme gore, weird taunts, crazy maps, chars, weapons & gametypes... and all very moddable and user friendly, like UT once was. Then people might actually play it, because you've created something UNIQUE, something that could NEVER be made for a console. Something that makes all the other games look boring and politically correct.

UT3 is probably the last major (reasonably) moddable FPS, use it or lose it.

TigerStyle

Sep 30, 2005
I'm hopeful for quakelive for fast paced FPS action. So far I have no problems finding games in the beta, it runs on old hardware (even my laptop = 256mb ram, 16mb video) and the skill matchmaking system seems to be decent, and will probably only improve as more users/data is gained.

I really wish I could have played UT3, but it never ran even somewhat decent on my pc. Too bad there wasn't some sort of video options to make it playable on a wider range of pc's. 2k4 I had no problems at all, even on high resolutions.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
I'm hopeful for quakelive for fast paced FPS action. So far I have no problems finding games in the beta, it runs on old hardware (even my laptop = 256mb ram, 16mb video) and the skill matchmaking system seems to be decent, and will probably only improve as more users/data is gained.

I really wish I could have played UT3, but it never ran even somewhat decent on my pc. Too bad there wasn't some sort of video options to make it playable on a wider range of pc's. 2k4 I had no problems at all, even on high resolutions.

Well it was optimized for the PS3 hardware, so there you go.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
only thing they can do to "FIX" anything is realase an ALL NEW UT3 the way it was supposed to be... Finished & Polished.

yes i want UT3 fixed, i want the still major flaws patched, i want more content and bonus packs. im having alot of fun playing the game... But,

answer is - there is no "fixing" UT3. we need UT4 ;)

cause UT3 was released very broken, cause the demo SUCKED. and cause it was not dealt with very well at all by the publisher... despite the fact that the game rocks. the game is on life support.

Last edited:

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
Sys Req are too high for UT3 to a be a popular game,

i am so tired of this BS whining... my machine is not even close to top of the line and it handles ut3 fine. buying a brand new UT3 running machine is not even expensive. if you dont have a job, you shouldnt be playing computer games anyway and if youre a kid with no job the stfu and get one... a gfx card to run ut3 and other new stuff is barely over 100 bux now...

imho this genre is slowly drifting into niche existence. these games don't address the casual gamer as much as they'd need to in order to be as successful as they used to be a couple of years ago :\

that is quite possible. but im thinking this is more of a cycle than a trend and that fps's will come back in vogue as soon as another fps hits big...

Last edited:

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
imho this genre is slowly drifting into niche existence. these games don't address the casual gamer as much as they'd need to in order to be as successful as they used to be a couple of years ago :\

Yeah, you hear that alot, but strictly speaking it doesn't make any sense... I mean, shouldn't a fast-paced, zero-time-to-spectacle game be absolutely perfect for the zero attention span generation? No endless skulking around or leveling up or any of that BS, just start up & jump into the carnage. That's what I love about this game, it's so pure, so to the point. Perfect way to unwind after a hard day's (or week's) work.

IMO UT3 is, at its core, a fine game, and by no means inferior to supposedly more 'sophisticated'/'advanced'/whatever shooters like CoD or GoW. And if stuff like Mortal Kombat -a genre that's older than the frickin dinosaurs- can still be 'hot', why not an FP arena shooter? It's timeless fun for everyone, and just needs a really good game/mod to be lifted up where it belongs, where the eagles fly, on a mountain high.

patriotic.jpg