Major UT3 Update Details

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
C

cistar

Yay! now I can reinstall UT3 :D

"Removed download speed limitations, when hosting LAN servers" lol yey.. Thats been annoying for.. ever...? Always transferring files before we plan on a lan xP

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Yeah, the return of UMOD installer would be greatly appreciated I'm sure. I'm still not entirely sure why we need the ability to install maps on a per user basis. Or are there maps Daddy doesn't want little Johnny to see?

Lethargy

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Feb 24, 2006
holy crap, that's every gripe I've had with the game. Hope it goes well, this just might bring me back.

Apathy.

Jan 24, 2008
Do you think they'll also improve mod installation? I'm still latched onto the Maps, System, Textures, etc. setup. I still have no idea how to Install skins and I had to do extensive searching to figure out that the .ut3, .ini, and .upk components of a map all go into the same folder.

Don't know about that. There was this file called "readme.txt", in one of the first maps I downloaded. It said to put all the files in the zip/rar file into:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps

I didn't see a reason for this readme file to push me in the wrong direction, so I did what it said and it worked.. Pretty amazing! :p
Yes, I'm aware that people had a bit of a problem when the game first came out and it was becoming a pain just to install a damn map. I just wanted to give you **** :p

Yes, I highly miss the old way. I don't really understand why they had to change it so much, but oh well I guess.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
No it's not.
What makes you say that?
Don't know about that. There was this file called "readme.txt", in one of the first maps I downloaded. It said to put all the files in the zip/rar file into:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps

I didn't see a reason for this readme file to push me in the wrong direction, so I did what it said and it worked.. Pretty amazing! :p
Yes, I'm aware that people had a bit of a problem when the game first came out and it was becoming a pain just to install a damn map. I just wanted to give you **** :p

Yes, I highly miss the old way. I don't really understand why they had to change it so much, but oh well I guess.

True, the old way is much better. Splitting everything into two places - for what? And all this confusedness. The only downside of the old way was that the System folder quickly gets crowded with .INT, .UCL, .INI, .U and such files, they all should have their folders, and that the main folder gets quickly crowded with mods (they should be installed into \Mods or something) and codes (\Source maybe?).

TheSpoonDog

CBP3! Yarrr!
Jun 1, 2001
NZ
spoondog.beyondunreal.com
I'm quite surprised that so many seem to have trouble aiming in UT3 and found it better in 2k4... personally I found I couldn't hit jack with hitscan in 2k4, but in UT3 i can headshot everywhere... I'd always just assumed they'd made the "head" collision bigger because headshots were so fun in UT1, and they wanted to bring that back. Placebo effect? :p

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
My suspicion is that the custom data was split into two locations as part of compliance with the Games for Windows initiative. I've noticed a handful of games these days stash data in My Documents although usually it's save game data, not custom map content. I'm not sure if this is something that's easy to address with the patch, but I've been able to toss all my custom content into the CookedPC folder in my main UT3 install folder without trouble.

EDIT: I've noticed the head hitbox is larger in UT3 than it was in UT2 as well. Couldn't headshot for crap in UT2, now I can pop bots with no zooming in UT3 :D

Last edited:

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
I'm quite surprised that so many seem to have trouble aiming in UT3 and found it better in 2k4... personally I found I couldn't hit jack with hitscan in 2k4, but in UT3 i can headshot everywhere... I'd always just assumed they'd made the "head" collision bigger because headshots were so fun in UT1, and they wanted to bring that back. Placebo effect? :p

Well in regards to the sniper rifle this is true, they have gone back to "Almost" classic hitboxes. So headshots are much easier than in 2k4. But it is still impossible to hit anything unless you are sniping on hydro or face. :p

Aiming WAS better in 2k4. In fact you can argue that it was too good. It did nothing to alleviate hitscan dominance.

H3D_Sniper

Jan 15, 2009
www.hedsteem.com

Maps are really easy to install as long as there isn't any external packages (which is usually an issue when running them on a server.) Custom mods, weapons, vehicles and characters can be a little to a whole lot harder. It just depends how they are coded and how the folder structure is when they are creating them.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
My suspicion is that the custom data was split into two locations as part of compliance with the Games for Windows initiative. I've noticed a handful of games these days stash data in My Documents although usually it's save game data, not custom map content. I'm not sure if this is something that's easy to address with the patch, but I've been able to toss all my custom content into the CookedPC folder in my main UT3 install folder without trouble.

EDIT: I've noticed the head hitbox is larger in UT3 than it was in UT2 as well. Couldn't headshot for crap in UT2, now I can pop bots with no zooming in UT3 :D

Eww. That's why they didn't release the Linux installer. Logical - there's no such thing as "my documents" in Linux, instead it's called /home/user/documents, and all programs go not into some Program Files, but into /home/user/.appname... Splitting into two would give absolutely nothing good... Windows FTL :tdown:

Headshots are easy in UT2004 as well, as long as enemies don't crouch. And when they do, all the hell breaks loose, because their head collision is not where their head is, but rather where their heart is... WTF? Though I have to say I'm too used to UT2004 controls to headshot anyone in UT3 (and I attempt it a lot less often - there were 2 snipers in UT2004). And I can headshot without zoom in UT2004 too (zooming in makes it even harder to aim because your mouse has to travel longer distances and it feels "pixelated").
Talking about Lightning Guns, I always felt better with LG than the classic sniper. And strangely, I am more accurate with the slow UT2003 LG than the faster (and the same damage dealing) UT2004 counterpart. Probably because longer recharge rates make you think more before shooting, thus the increase in aim (just like the hellbender's rear turret in UT2004 - you won't fire unless you're almost sure you'll hit). I never liked the classic Rifles, they're too spammy to be called Snipers... Slightly more than 1 and a half a second is just perfect for thinking about where to shoot. Feels like a real sniper, when you wait for a perfect moment to fire...

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
Eww. That's why they didn't release the Linux installer. Logical - there's no such thing as "my documents" in Linux, instead it's called /home/user/documents, and all programs go not into some Program Files, but into /home/user/.appname... Splitting into two would give absolutely nothing good... Windows FTL :tdown:
The Linux version of UT2004 already worked like that, separating user content (settings and downloaded maps) from the base game. It has nothing to do with why the Linux version hasn't been released yet.

It's silly to say there is no reason for the separate directories. There is a very obvious reason. Games shouldn't be special; they should be treated like every other program. And that means having them install to Program Files or similar, and have any other content placed in the user directories. While the file layout inside My Games/Unreal Tournament 3 is rather convoluted, it is placed there for good reason.

Additionally, pretty much all custom content can be placed in the main UT3 directory if you want.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006

Headshots are easy in UT2004 as well, as long as enemies don't crouch. And when they do, all the hell breaks loose, because their head collision is not where their head is, but rather where their heart is... WTF? Though I have to say I'm too used to UT2004 controls to headshot anyone in UT3 (and I attempt it a lot less often - there were 2 snipers in UT2004). And I can headshot without zoom in UT2004 too (zooming in makes it even harder to aim because your mouse has to travel longer distances and it feels "pixelated").
Talking about Lightning Guns, I always felt better with LG than the classic sniper. And strangely, I am more accurate with the slow UT2003 LG than the faster (and the same damage dealing) UT2004 counterpart. Probably because longer recharge rates make you think more before shooting, thus the increase in aim (just like the hellbender's rear turret in UT2004 - you won't fire unless you're almost sure you'll hit). I never liked the classic Rifles, they're too spammy to be called Snipers... Slightly more than 1 and a half a second is just perfect for thinking about where to shoot. Feels like a real sniper, when you wait for a perfect moment to fire...

Not true, Vista and XP have not my documents, XP has, but Vista has users/ etc and it is stil being installed there. Besides UT3 gives opportunity for multi user treatment, which is betetr than old games and the filesystem is better evolution in fact, it only takes time to get used to, but separate configs and all those things, it's step further in fact...