M16A2 weapon model "mod" (question)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Snakeye once modded the original AKMSU model to have an AK74U magazine.

I'd like to try myself in doing a similar thing with the M16A2 model. I want to keep the animations and texture, but improve the original model a bit. Is it a possibility? Can I use a free program like Blender for it?

If possible, how do I start and what do I need to know?

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
You'd need the source to do what you are wanting. You could try extracting source using UModel but it's always a crapshoot. I've gotten a couple of things fully extracted without errors but most things ended up with errors. Is there a way of getting the maker's files?

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
To put things into perspective I only messed with the 3rd person model (which uses no animations) NOT with any 1st person model or animations. If your goal would be to change 1st person model and [the model in] the animations the original INF weapons will probably give you a headache since the animations are done in a strange way IIRC.

From what I remember Blender didn't turn out satisfactory for me back then; think I used some 30day trial version of a commercial tool.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
@Snakeye:

Hi, nice you're still lurking. I thought that it wouldn't work and I wasn't sure about the 1st person model. So, nevermind it then.

I might eventually just try to make one from scratch in Blender, just for fun and trial.

STELLAR 7

Why the urge to improve yourself?
Nov 17, 2005
Cheeses man, you're still at this!? Even I've moved on.
Well, the best way to make any sort of model changes would be to replace the whole thing, especially for the old original INF weapons that use a deprecated method of snapshot animations. And by 'replace the whole thing,' I mean write your own mutator that swaps the weapon with your own class complete with custom model, animations, the works.

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
You guys should stop working on this dead mod, AND PROCEED TO MAKE A NEW ONE! Arma 3 would be a great place for it! You already have the world and the weapons, you just need to make some interesting buidings / cities / landscapes / etc!