Luger dies in Olympics practice crash

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
Was he even up to being on the track? Really its not the tracks fault he messed up in a dangerous sport. Nothing can make going 90mph on a sled safe no matter how hard you try.

DarkCrow

ლ(╹◡╹ლ)
Jun 13, 2004
Brasil
Track is too fast, says head of luge federation

BY JASON BOTCHFORD, CANWEST NEWS SERVICEFEBRUARY 12, 2010COMMENTS (19)

The design firm commissioned to build the Whistler Sliding Centre vowed to create the "most challenging" course ever made.

It now promises to be the last of its kind.

The International Olympic committee is investigating how the course, originally designed for speeds of 137 km/h, allowed athletes to set world records of more than 153 km/h. Those speeds had athletes and officials questioning course safety leading up to the Games and Friday's death of a Georgian luger.

"The track is too fast," Joseph Fendt, president of the World Luge Federation, told London's Daily Telegraph. "We had planned it to be a maximum of 137 km/h but it is about 20km/h faster.

"We think this is a planning mistake.''

When the course was proposed in 2005, Lorenz Kosichek, project manager for the design firm Stantec, said: "It will be the most challenging track in the world."

Reached Friday, after the death of luge competitor Nodar Kumaritashvili, Kosichek said it was "too soon" to address serious safety concerns which were expressed long before the tragic accident.

"I'm not going to answer any questions on the phone right now," Kosichek said. "It's too soon to have any discussions about this."

German engineer Udo Gurgel designed the track and all of the tracks for the 1998 Nagano, 2002 Salt Lake and 2006 Turin Olympic Games.

Stantec Architecture Ltd.'s Vancouver office was hired to put into practice Guergel's mathematical design.

The course was planned for speeds of 137 km/h. But this week, a racer hit 154 km/h.

The accident occurred near the bottom of the course. It was not the most dangerous area. But it was near the spot where athletes were approaching top speeds. Kumaritashvili was going an estimated 144.3 km/h. Kumaritashvili careened off the course and hit an unpadded support beam.

In a sport that pushes athletes to be faster, and more dangerous, there were more than a few who expressed concern that a tipping point had been reached because of the speed of the Whistler course.

After she nearly lost control Thursday, Australia's Hannah Campbell-Pegg said this to reporters:

"I think they are pushing it a little too much. To what extent are we just little lemmings that they just throw down a track and we're crash-test dummies? I mean, this is our lives.''

Before Kumaritashvili's fatal crash, Italy's Armin Zoeggeler, the defending Olympic champion, lost control in the first run Friday. It didn't appear he was injured. But on Thursday, Violeta Stramaturaru of Romania was knocked unconscious and airlifted to a nearby medical facility because of a crash.

After learning that Kumaritashvili had died, the chair of the International Luge Federation was asked if the men's luge event should be cancelled or postponed because of safety concerns.

"I don't know what we are going to do, this is very heavy," said Josef Benz, a Swiss bobsledder who competed in two Winter Olympics, and won one gold.

The course features several dangerous elements, including an imposing 152-metre drop. The original plan called for that drop to be 149 metres.

It's the longest in the world and equivalent to 48 stories. The 1,450-metre course has 16 turns.

In training this week, Manuel Pfister set a speed record when he hit 154 km/h. That topped the 153.98 km/h record set at the same course last year.

Officials had already told the planners of the 2014 Sochi Games, the speeds at Whistler were unacceptable.

Compounding the speed concerns, the Whistler course has an unusual design where the tighter corners are near the bottom where racers often max out their speeds.

In an interview with NBC, American luger Tony Benshoof said: "When I first got on this track, I thought that somebody was going to kill themselves."

One of the corners is ominously dubbed 50/50 because the first athletes who tested the course thought their chances of making it safely through the corner were about the same as a coin flip.

Also, officials from other countries suggested it was irresponsible for Canadian authorities to limit practice times to 40 training runs. The Canadian athletes had more than 300.

"Please, let there be no accidents there because that could kill the sport," Andy Schmid, the performance director of British Skeleton, told Canwest News Service.

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/Track+fast+says+head+luge+federation/2557831/story.html#ixzz0fSVndTAz

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
TKKZB.gif

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
the issue here is about track design, not a lack of precautions.

The issue is indeed with track design in that it pushes speeds to the limits. But it's been concluded that there is no problem with it and this was just an "unfortunate accident". In other words, **** all is going to be changed and someone else will probably die get themselves killed.

B: you can't put "padding" on the sides of the course, that compromises the very integrity of the sport.

Glorification. That's like saying soldiers shouldn't use weapons and should fight out with machetes. Or driving around without a seat belt because you're brave. The human body doesn't stand a chance against solid metal at those speeds, especially with skin-tight clothing that offers zero protection. It's as simple as that. Plus, the above article DOES mention padding.

Kumaritashvili careened off the course and hit an unpadded support beam.

Plus, it's totally ****ed up to see some 21-year old killed in this way. When you're that age, you're still under the illusion that you're invulnerable. Can you really say that this particular competitor knew what he was signing up for? Yeah, the rare person does get killed but most assume they will walk away injured. Could you say that he would have taken that practise run if he knew that he'd be slammed dead in the blink of an eye?

It's pretty obvious what would have happened anyway. Take a human body of 75-90 kilos, throw it out of that final curve at+140 km/h and, given the momentum, anyone would have hit those steel supports.

Last edited:
It's a sad thing...but Azura, I'd like to think anyone who performs in a sport where you wear spandex and ride a board along a tube at super speeds would be aware of the dangers. And if they don't then they have no business doing it. I mean throwing a ball around is one thing...

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
It's a sad thing...but Azura, I'd like to think anyone who performs in a sport where you wear spandex and ride a board along a tube at super speeds would be aware of the dangers. And if they don't then they have no business doing it. I mean throwing a ball around is one thing...

Ok. I'm just saying that if people are in a sport like this, it's for the good moments and not the bad. I'm not saying you can't appreciate danger at that age because that's not true but maybe this guy got himself into something that wasn't what he signed up for.

It's obvious from the above article that the track was suped up from the original design. It's this divide between what competitors are humanly capable of and what sponsors expect that is problem here. If there was even the slightest defect in the track, I'd be among those people shouting out murder. After all, sports are supposed to bring out what's the best in the human genre, not serve as fodder for some stupid commercial types who are only interested in money.

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
In other words, **** all is going to be changed and someone else will probably die get themselves killed.
normally you'd be right.
but they have actually made some major changes to this course since the accident.

aside from raising the wall around that corner and padding the steel beams, they moved the starting position for both mens and womens track events which has dropped the average top speed on the course by about 10 MPH.

unfortunately, this is more of an emotional fix than anything, to put other competitors minds at ease. it doesn't really address the heart of the problem.
That's like saying soldiers shouldn't use weapons and should fight out with machetes. Or driving around without a seat belt because you're brave.
uhhh, no it's nothing like that at all.
that would just be careless and stupid.

sorry, you've chosen poor analogies.
The human body doesn't stand a chance against solid metal at those speeds, especially with skin-tight clothing that offers zero protection. It's as simple as that. Plus, the above article DOES mention padding.
all competitors understand the risk, you're preaching to the choir man.
no one is under any illusions about the potential danger.

as for the article mentioning padding?
that doesn't make you right.
it only makes the person who wrote it sound as naive as you :p

putting some padding on steel beams outside of the course is not a solution. it's merely a band-aid that completely ignores the underlining issue.
Can you really say that this particular competitor knew what he was signing up for?
yes, I can really say that this particular kid knew exactly what he was signing up for. they all do.
Yeah, the rare person does get killed but most assume they will walk away injured. Could you say that he would have taken that practise run if he knew that he'd be slammed dead in the blink of an eye?
lol, what are you talking about??

these guys understand the risk.
they are well aware of the fact that one little mistake could end it all within a fraction of a second. obviously, that doesn't stop them from doing what they love to do. they take the risk with the potential rewards.
Take a human body of 75-90 kilos, throw it out of that final curve at+140 km/h and, given the momentum, anyone would have hit those steel supports.
so what's your point?

it was a freak accident. you can't account for every possible accident in every possible situation. it's not feasible. and the only alternative would be to outlaw and ban the sport entirely which won't happen.

sh*t happens.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
so what's your point?

it was a freak accident. you can't account for every possible accident in every possible situation. it's not feasible. and the only alternative would be to outlaw and ban the sport entirely which won't happen.

sh*t happens.

Sure it's an accident. But I don't think security should be overlooked and I don't think that it was entirely the luger's fault that he got killed. There was already concern before the event and some atheletes had alredy complained about the track. The fact that it's been modified since indicates that there was a problem, one of them being the wall on this photo.

article-1250643-0843FD7B000005DC-850_468x286.jpg

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35369187/ns/sports-olympic_sports/

Problems at the track date back to World Cup events and international training weeks held last year, when several of the world’s top bobsled drivers were upended trying to make their way down the track with its tricky labyrinth of curves and unprecedented speed.

American pilot Steven Holcomb christened one of the course’s toughest sections — the 13th curve — as “50-50” to reflect the odds of steering a sled through it cleanly.

Earlier in the day, two-time Olympic champion Armin Zoeggeler of Italy crashed, losing control of his sled on Curve 11. Zoeggeler came off his sled and held it with his left arm to keep it from smashing atop his body. He slid on his back down several curves before coming to a stop and walking away.

Training days in Whistler have been crash-filled. A Romanian woman was knocked unconscious and at least four Americans — Chris Mazdzer on Wednesday, Megan Sweeney on Thursday and both Benshoof and Bengt Walden on Friday in the same training session where Zoeggeler wrecked — have had serious trouble just getting down the track.

Crashes happen often in luge — at least 12 sliders have wrecked just this week on the daunting Whistler surface. Still, some who have been around tracks their entire lives couldn’t remember someone actually being thrown over the wall.

“It’s a very rare situation,” three-time Olympic champion and German coach Georg Hackl said.

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
you're still not making a point Azura.

everyone is already well aware that the track has had complaints. we have heard about the bobsled and skeleton guys who also wiped out in practice. Whistler is famous for being the fastest track in the world, this is not news.

the bottom line is that it was a freak accident, and there's only so much you can do to account for such an accident without compromising the sport. it has nothing to do with glorifying death and everything to do with the fundamentals of competition when you have athletes competing at such a high level.

they understand the risk, they accept it willingly. you can't change the basic mechanics of the sport just because there's a one-in-a-million chance something like this could happen again.

it's not necessarily the tracks fault.
it's not necessarily the kids fault.

sh*t happens.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Haven't people been running on this track for 2 years at least now? Should they have known about the potential dangers and made adjustments? Maybe, but it was just a freak accident. Now that they know the problem in that one area, they made some adjustments and the games go on. The sound of his head hitting the steel beam in the video is pretty freaky though.:eek:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
If I was one of the competitors I'd be pissed. This track was a monster, and this event was set to be one of the most intense events of the Olympic games. I can understand raising the wall and so forth, but moving the starting point up totally ruined the course. Watching the event on TV right now it's clear that the course was meant to have much higher speeds at the beginning. I'm sure those that were up for the challenge and thrill are disappointed by this unfortunate turn of events. Maybe the track was a little too fast, and it does appear that the course has turned out to be much faster than it was original intended to be. However, now it's just flat out nerfed.

Last edited:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
If I was one of the competitors I'd be pissed. This track was a monster, and this event was set to be one of the most intense events of the Olympic games. I can understand raising the wall and so forth, but moving the starting point up totally ruined the course. Watching the event on TV right now it's clear that the course was meant to have much higher speeds at the beginning. I'm sure those that were up for the challenge and thrill are disappointed by this unfortunate turn of events. Maybe the track was a little too fast, and it does appear that the course has turned out to be much faster than it was original intended to be. However, now it's just flat out nerfed.

All that is true, but the track was just too fast. During practice runs, over half the field crashed at least once. This wasn't limited to just the newbie lugers either. Even the guy (think from Germany) who is considered the most technical luger had a crash. The last several events, the average speed was 80 mph. This one was over 90. The officials did nerf the track, but it needed it, unfortunately. The track was just way too dangerous.

A sad death.

:mad:

Last edited:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
All that is true, but the track was just too fast. During practice runs, over half the field crashed at least once. This wasn't limited to just the newbie lugers either. Even the guy (think from Germany) who is considered the most technical luger had a crash. The last several events, the average speed was 80 mph. This one was over 90. The officials did nerf the track, but it needed it, unfortunately. The track was just way too dangerous.

I'll be interest to see where they start the skeleton at. The other changes especially the change to turn 50/50 were good ones. I'm just not so sure about the start position.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I can't beleive some of you are joking about this.

it's not even funny

Posting on a forum with proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation shouldn't be made into a joke but you manage to do that on a near-daily basis. You're not typing text messages. You have a full keyboard at your disposal, and I implore you to use it from now on.

And anything can be made into a joke these days.

I totally agree. I don't think that the threads only tag is far off. Worst post of the year, and it's only February...

Does this mean I'll win an award? Cause that would be just awesome!

Too soon? Seriously? You guys must be going soft.

Okay, well look, I feel sorry for the guy that died. Really, I do. But hey, he's the one that signed up for Luge. Luge is a dangerous sport. It's known to be a dangerous sport. There is no way you can sugercoat it to make it not look like a dangerous sport. People die doing crazy **** every day and you never hear anything about them in the news. I guess if you want to die doing an extreme sport you just have to make sure it's going to be televised; then, you'll be a big hero and a worldwide sensation. What better way to go out than with a huge bang?

And I'm sorry, but that .gif is ****ing hilarious and if you can't see it you really need to pull the large stick out of your ass. It's life. **** happens. People die every day by the thousands for no good reason. There's no better or more positive way to deal and come to terms with it than to turn it into a joke. At least then you get some laughter out of it and it's not entirely negative.

EDIT: I was actually thinking about that .gif and I was thinking I might add this to the end of it:

Toyota2_th.jpg

Toyota is a sponsor, after all. It'll be a trifecta of dark humor.

Groan at will.

Last edited: