Low-Budget Amateur Maps?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

How would you like an idea of being able to see, play and review "low-budget" maps?

• Yes, sure. Why not? That's a great Idea!

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Are you crazy? Review crap? What for?

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • WTF is a "low-budget map"? (See below)

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

AlexanderII

Ready to play Duke Nukem?
Dec 20, 2001
www.conk.com
How about starting a new review section on this server exclusively for low-budget home-made amateur maps, for those poor map-makers not yet hired by anybody?

There's now a huge pile of maps. Let's make some kind of sorting. I don't think it is possible to review all of them, but if we divide them into big and small (rather crude division but it makes sence, since if one aims for the small target size of the map, he creates a different kind of map which should have different reviewing parameters). That was basically my point and for we could call small maps "Low budget maps", just until we find a better name.

A "low budget amateur map" must fit there criteria:
1. It must be made by an amateur,
2. It must have a relatively small area and filesize,
3. No more rules so far.

Exactly what point 2 means can be negotiated. Let's say there is a limit of 500K (unpacked size). Those maps smaller than 500K, made by amateurs and having some reasonably small area (to have a lot of action) could make a new class of maps. That's basically my idea.
Regards,

AlexanderII

Last edited:

AlexanderII

Dec 20, 2001
www.conk.com
Correction to the definition:
How about a separate section for nice-and-small fast-action maps for short-and-sweet gaming. Let's for the sake of this poll call this kind of maps "_LOW_BUDGET_ amateur maps". they have to comply with these guidelines:
1. It must be made by an amateur mapper.
2. It must have relatively small area and filesize.
3. No more rules so far.

Deathwing

Raucous Rodentia
Mar 15, 2000
Canada
I hope you don't think the 5000+ maps on this site are actually official. :p The only thing that anybody reviews are user(amateur)-created maps.

AlexanderII

Dec 20, 2001
www.conk.com
Deathwing:
Like I just said, there's now a huge pile of maps. Let's make some kind of sorting. I don't think it is possible to review all of them, but if we divide them into big and small (rather crude division but it makes sence, since if one aims for the small target size of the map, he creates a different kind of map which should have different reviewing parameters). That was basically my point and for we could call small maps "Low budget maps", just until we find a better name.

Regards,

AlexanderII

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Alexander. I think you have no clue about this community. There are thousands of mappers out there. And only a handful of them is hired. Yet those hired guys dont have the time to produce maps for an old game like UT.
What you are asking for is a special section for n00bish maps. And to be true that is the sort of maps that shouldnt waste space on any server. As I said go and look what is out. I recommend you to take a look at DavidM's maps. He is what you call an amateur and a master of small DM maps. You will see a slight difference between the maps you are looking.
Sorry to break it to you but you dont have a clue yet...

AlexanderII

Dec 20, 2001
www.conk.com
Balton.de
What you are asking for is a special section for n00bish maps.
Not at all. Just like in ther arts there is sketch, there is pencil drawing, there is etude, there are large 6-meters long paintings and there are miniatures. These are all different types of art and they all have different evaluation criteria.

Regards,

AlexanderII

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Originally posted by AlexanderII
Balton.de

Not at all. Just like in ther arts there is sketch, there is pencil drawing, there is etude, there are large 6-meters long paintings and there are miniatures. These are all different types of art and they all have different evaluation criteria.

Regards,

AlexanderII

a map is not a piece of art that catches dust! you will play it and will have fun! there are lots of factors that will make a map good. sorry but no one needs those lame maps! get your ass behind the editor and work on your technics. you will in a month laugh about cloudwars!

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
Is this guy for real???? :rolleyes:

WHAT DO YOU THINK NALICITY IS FOR????

It`s were people (Amateurs) post ther maps!!

I think the ratio is very high for not paid mappers then ones that are getting paid crusing the forums here!!
I only know a few that are getting paid....but those maps they make don`t make it to nalicitys dnld anyway....so what`s the problem....we already have what you asked for......now if they would just update the map dnlds sometime soon....or ditch it for the new NC3 site....

Evil_Cope

For the Win, motherfather!
Aug 24, 2001
alex....

a section for the cream of the "noob maps" as some might say, would be kinda out of place.

the plain fact is, that small basic maps, are not that good. reviewers here at nalicity usually give such mappers advice in reviews to improve their skills so they can create bigger and better maps, and the forums here are the best place to go for level editing help 80% of the time.

setting smaller crapper maps as something else would discourage mappers from trying to get better, and create maps that eclipse the mappers of the day...

AlexanderII

Dec 20, 2001
www.conk.com
mister_cope:
setting smaller crapper maps as something else would discourage mappers from trying to get better, and create maps that eclipse the mappers of the day...

Big maps are good for single player and also for games with 60 players or so. A deathmatch with 60 people is a total mess and I find no fun in that sort of stuff. You can say whatever you want, but small deathmatch maps are becoming classics now (as well as duelin maps) and people will come back to them again and again.

Now what you're saying is similar to that saying "with the invention of television there is not going to be need in radio". Now we have satellite tv and we still have radion channels even on satellite tv. Not to mention the use of the radios! It's there! Small portable radios, radios in the shops, stores, supermarkets. Car radio. It's everywhere today! Whether you want it or not!

And just because you bought a car does not mean that all should buy cars and stop using bus, subways e t.c. And that's basically wat you're saying now.

Regards,

AlexanderII