[lolitics kind of]Al Franken on big business and net neutrality

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Way to be a corporate stooge Larkin. :tup: I'm sure more than a couple of those billionaire media magnates laugh themselves to sleep at night knowing there's Americans out there advocating for their right to have a monopoly just because their party tells them to.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Monopolies are horrible.

Monopolies will be a huge problem on the INTERNET without a more controlling force.

Big business is the devil.

All true. :lol:

You guys are so absurd.

Last edited:

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Monopolies are horrible.

Monopolies will be a huge problem on the INTERNET without a more controlling force.

Big business is the devil.

All true. :lol:

You guys are so absurd.

I understand your argument for not wanting to have large, disconnected entities a.k.a. the govmint making decisions for you. But this problem applies to corporations just as equally when they have too much power. Power is a vacuum; inevitably, somebody will take it. The internet is very powerful and very controllable due to the programmable nature of the technology involved. I think the video demonstrates pretty well how corporate monopolies controlling the media is a big deal.

Given the choice, I would rather the power over our information infrastructure be in the hands of elected public servants. Somebody has to do it.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
And that is why you are misguided.

Edit:

I watched the video and all I saw was a bunch of misinformation, fear mongering, and reasoning to control industry. Sorry, I just don't buy any of it.

Last edited:

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
How to make a bomb out of stuff you would find in a Arab's car trunk and, use it on the Chinese Government.

wb
taa
wr a
gr
34j
st
sj 3'
jsj' gf''
sjgj'sjgsj
sg
j3
s3g
s
dh
g
j
g'j
'gf3j'

Hello FBI-CIA :)

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
Corporate controlled internet:

Net_neutrality.png

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
You guys are really gullible.

Yes indeed, we can never trust elected officials whom we can hold accountable, but organizations who's only goal is to line their pockets with our money are sure to have our best interests at heart! You can bet on that! Because rich people are allways better people, Ayn Rand told us so, and it must be true.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Yes indeed, we can never trust elected officials whom we can hold accountable, but organizations who's only goal is to line their pockets with our money are sure to have our best interests at heart! You can bet on that! Because rich people are allways better people, Ayn Rand told us so, and it must be true.

Oh because..

1. you can hold them accountable
2. They aren't rich
3. You have some sort of control of the government
4. They don't have interests to control you

I must remember the brainwash helmet is the one I want. Not the 12th century sucked for a reason hat.

Last edited:

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
I stopped listening to Franken after his initial remarks where he clearly demonstrates his lack of understanding for the 1st amendment. Not exactly the kind of guy I would trust to controlling the internet

Yes indeed, we can never trust elected officials whom we can hold accountable, but organizations who's only goal is to line their pockets with our money are sure to have our best interests at heart!
hey, at least when you buy a corporation's product you do it voluntarily, purchase to purchase. Politicians take your money whether you like what they're "selling" or not, whether you personally elected them or not.

Last edited:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
hey, at least when you buy a corporation's product you do it voluntarily, purchase to purchase. Politicians take your money whether you like what they're "selling" or not, whether you personally elected them or not.

There's not much choice involved when there's only one game in town, now is there?

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
There's not much choice involved when there's only one game in town, now is there?
That's why we have antitrust laws.

and back to your first post
Yes indeed, we can never trust elected officials whom we can hold accountable
since when have our officials been held accountable for their Ponzi schemes? Our congress makes Bernie Madoff look like a piker

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm all for regulation of the internet, the kind of regulations that enforce things like "no bandwidth limitations" and "no cutting off competing network just because you feel like it" which happens all the time right now. Most internet services are tied to other services and consumers have no "rights" because they are not technically public services. I'm fine with the government actually protecting consumer rights.

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
I'm all for regulation of the internet, the kind of regulations that enforce things like "no bandwidth limitations" and "no cutting off competing network just because you feel like it" which happens all the time right now. Most internet services are tied to other services and consumers have no "rights" because they are not technically public services. I'm fine with the government actually protecting consumer rights.

You're a communist, right?