Lightwave to UnrealEd assistance? (Hide perhaps?)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CharleyFox

Jan 8, 2006
Greetings,

I’m a Lightwave users, and I’ve created a model of a game vixen which I’d like to bring into UT2K4 through UnrealEd, but I haven’t had much luck determining how this may be done other than as a static mesh.

LW-Krystal.jpg

I’ve gone through the tutorials on the Unreal bonus disk, and I think I’d be fairly comfortable using the ActorX plugin, but the problem is that it’s only for Maya and 3D Max (neither of which I have access to), and the Maya PLE version doesn’t appear to import Lightwave files. I really don’t want to have to create the mesh from scratch in Maya PLE. I’d like to just use the Lightwave mesh I already have with the standard animations (psa) and be ready to rock and roll.

Anyone have any advice for getting character models out of Lightwave and in to UnrealEd? (Maybe point me to a tutorial somewhere? My search has come up null so far.)

I believe Hide uses Lightwave, I’m wondering if perhaps he wouldn’t mind gracing me with some advice? Love the Marygold model Hide, btw.

Hide

or Dr.Jekill
Apr 23, 2004
IZANAGI Co. Tokyo
For regrettable, LightWave can not export "psk" file and "psa" file.
So, I am using "MilkShape" to make "psk" file and "psa" file from "lwo" file.

I explain the method very roughly.

1. Adjust the position of joints to fit the skeleton you want to use.
(I attach a configuration file of "HumanFemaleSkeleton" for LightWave.)

2. Open the model of skeleton you want to use in MilkShape.
(Skeleton models for ut2k4(ut2k3) are included in MilkShape.)

3. Import your "lwo" file.

4. Consolidate the materials to 2 of the parts of the body skin and the face skin.
(There are 3 in screenshot, though.)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 43
  • HumanFemaleCfg.zip
    36.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Hide

or Dr.Jekill
Apr 23, 2004
IZANAGI Co. Tokyo
5. Assign vertexs to the bone.

6. Export the model as "psk" file.

7. Open the "ukx" file which has the animations you want to use, in UnrealEd.
And, copy(Ctrl+c) the package name of animation.
And, select "Copy mesh properties" in menu.

8. Import your "psk" file with your new package name and mesh name.

9. Paste(Ctrl+v) the package name of animation and press "Enter".
Select "Linkup animation and mesh" in menu.
Select "Paste mesh properties" in menu.
Then, assign your skins.
Save it as "ukx" file.
Done.

BTW, your model looks high-poly.
Player model for ut2k4 should be within 2000-4000 polygons.
However, in fact, even in about 10000 polygons, ut2k4 can handle it easy.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

CharleyFox

Jan 8, 2006
Thanks all for the advice. Especially Hide, that's great info, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to prepare it.

Agreed, the model pictured above has too many polys. Here's a reduced poly count version (about 3.5K polys), which I think should do fine, once the UVs are applied.

reduced.jpg

Last edited:

Vailias

Aug 9, 2004
Elsewhere
www.starsiege2845.com
.. ut2k7 will still use low to midpoly models man. the detail is all in the shader tech.
Also there is a lightwave psa/psk export plugin out there, but its horridly quirky, and not 100% functional. :shrug:

Random Elite

Put your feet up and frag.
Jul 9, 2005
Earth
:con: <--Death Dream's response to UglyPants I'll bet. ;)

I'm sorta with UglyPants, I mean, she's got boobs, its worth a look.
This is probably the only Nintendo character that actually has any appeal, without someone making hentai out of it.

Any updates CharleyFox?

Last edited:

CharleyFox

Jan 8, 2006
Thanks. Currently working on the UV maps, which is pretty time consuming. A lot of detail that's poly based in the original is going to be mapped for the low poly version, so I can't recycle the existing UVs.

I have brought it in to Unreal Ed once already, and while the animations assigned properly, the mesh ended up all mangled. Looked like a transporter accident. Heh, gotta try harder.

- CharleyFox

CharleyFox

Jan 8, 2006
Maps complete.

I've pretty much completed the UV maps for the UT version of Krystal. (Needs more shadowing added though.)

Kry-LowPoly.jpg

I ended up adding some geometry back to the model and blew my poly budget by about 800 (up to 4.8 K now). Hopefully it'll be ok. (Well, I have dual PCIe 6800 GTs, so I know it's gonna be ok on my system at least. ;-)

Working on importing it to UT again now.

(Ooops, I just noticed I forgot to draw the straps for the bracers on the arms.)

-CharleyFox

Last edited:

CharleyFox

Jan 8, 2006
Krystal WIP Status

It's been quite a struggle, but I've finally gotten the model into Unreal.

Kry-UT1.jpg

There's still a lot of work to be done before I can release; the LoinCloth doesn't animate well, I figured that was going to be problematic. :rolleyes:

I need to fix some joint problems too in the original model. Maybe try to do something with the tail, as The_rex suggested.

Textures are too bright, and need more detail.

- CharleyFox

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
wth? I missed this thread so far? Shame on me :(

This model looks really nice, good work so far :tup:

and for Hide, this could be a good tutorial, maybe you can post it into our tutorial section? :)