Legend of Vandora Mod for UT2004

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DavidM

Designer
Oct 28, 1999
www.muenni.ch
dont let nostalgic feelings fool you.
when i played unreal back in 98 i found it scary too, it was just something new and did actually look good at that time. when i play it now its not scary at all, just butt ugly :)
but you might have scary nostalgic feelings from the early days

people who play it now for the first time wont have this feeling anymore

Last edited:

NozzeM

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Heh, depends on the level ofcourse. In some maps the textures fit alot better than in others. I do wish to keep the nostalgic feeling to it but without sacrifing lightning. Have to find some way :).

NozzeM

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
True, that's why i'll search for a better texture :), the current one looks a bit flat. I do have another idea though. Cliffs can also be created with terrain maps, if done well ofcourse. That way you can create very interesting cliffs (height differences, plateaus, etc, etc) with alot of texture blending (example: look at what i did to the lava pit, i blended a texture onto the main texture just above the lava surface). The other option is static meshes for cliffs with texture blending done in 3dsmax but that's alot more time consuming and unfortunaly i don't know 3dsmax or maya yet.

Anyway, thx for the info again. I won't change the textures in ctf-avali because the map is already pretty much done (going to do some minor changes and upload a new version later, mainly bug fixes). I read your excellent lightning tutorial by the way, i knew most of the stuff that was in their but some things were; although obvious, new to me.

DavidM

Designer
Oct 28, 1999
www.muenni.ch
NEVER EVER use the "terrain" toll for cliffs and mountains etc! :)
SO fake

the lighting tutorial is a bit crap, very old stuff, i know it much better today, but I can't be arsed to write it all down /o\

NozzeM

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Heh, you don't know how i can use the terrain tool for those kind of things :). I've never seen anyone use the terrain tool right for cliffs and mountains so i guess you don't know what i mean. Well, i'm going to sleep now.

P.S. The basic stuff is in the lightning tutorial but i didn't know about the greening effect with multiple high brightness lights. Something new for me :).

DavidM

Designer
Oct 28, 1999
www.muenni.ch
all games have greenings, but for some reason all level designers and players are blind and dont notice em -_-

just dont use heightmaps for cliffs and stuff, you cannot do overhanging stuff, you have overstretched textures and so on...

NozzeM

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Overstretched textures? Hah, i got my work around for that so they don't overstretch :D. That's what i mean with nobody using the terrain tool right. Overhanging stuff can be done with inverted terrain maps and with static meshes. Most won't overhang though so i don't expect any problems.

Check the spikes sticking out of the lava in my map. It's terrain and not overstretched :).

Jacob Korn

Crimson Strife Mapper
Apr 16, 2001
New Zealand
Visit site
i dont really see how ure gonna do good looking overhangs with an upside down terrain. as davidM said thats only good for cave cealings. either make overhangs out of static meshes comming out of the terrain or best of all make the whole cliff static mesh, but then again sm's have gh3y lighting.

NozzeM

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Overhangs are something which will be used sparingly so a static mesh is fine for that. We got the modellers for that. If needed it's still possible with terrain but it won't look anywhere as good as a static mesh. I'm just pointing out that it's possible :).

Cliffs can be done very well with terrain however, then again, if done right and i never see anyone do it right :/.

Jacob Korn

Crimson Strife Mapper
Apr 16, 2001
New Zealand
Visit site
i prefer to call terrain cliffs very steep hills. imo SM's are the way to go. Depending on the map tho u could have terrain hills, it all depends on what feeling you want to communicate with the player