Legend of Vandora Mod for UT2004

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Unreal Tournament 2004 isn't out yet, but one team proactively made plans for an upcoming UT2004 mod. Legend of Vandora (named after the Nali goddess of lightning from Unreal 1) will be a single player and Coop game based on the Unreal 1 experience. The goal of this mod is to recreate the amazing experience of the golden days of Unreal 1, but with new elements; such as vehicles, classes and a non-linear story.

Unlike some mods, the team wants the entire community to participate. They started a contest for the best concept story. The winner will become part of the mod team.

Browse on over to Legend of Vandora for more details about the contest and additional information about the project. While you are there, check out their UT2003 map, CTF-Avali.

NozzeM

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Exactly, we already got our own story in mind but we want to give the community a chance to come up with a good story of their own. There's alot of fan-fiction writers out there and maybe one of them would like their story worked out in a mod. As for concept art, we're working on that right now. Brainstorming and drawing things up. Unreality already made a few music examples and i made that test map CTF-Avali as concept 'art' for the mod.

Jacob Korn

Crimson Strife Mapper
Apr 16, 2001
New Zealand
Visit site
CTF-Avali is bloody aswem, perfect homage to U1. I’ve just tried it and its everything I’ve ever wanted from unreal 1 and more. Can’t wait to see the wonderful atmosphere put into singleplayer. I’m gonna definitely be waiting for this mod. If I wasn't already in a mod team I’d probably try and join this one :) good luck with the mod, I hope it is successful.

NozzeM

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Heh, i like the texture but it needs to be more detailed and a higher res. Unfortunally i'm no texture artist and i wanted to keep the original texture in. For our mod we'll try to create a much more detailed and higher res version of it. That way it doesn't tile that much as well.

DavidM

Designer
Oct 28, 1999
www.muenni.ch
its an anti texture, there is more than resolution to a texture
the whole color composition doesn't work, way too heavy etc...

NozzeM

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Exactly, it's totally not suitable for a earth like environment but for a alien world it's something unique. It just needs to be higher res and more detailed and then it works fine imo.

Ofcourse, we all have different opinions on these kind of things.

NozzeM

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
You are right about that, it does receive lightning rather bad if you use a high saturation. It only receives lightning quite well with a low saturation and high brightness (it doesn't receive lightning that well in the outdoor parts but it receives lightning quite well above the lava pit). We'll have to adjust these so they do receive high saturated light as well. Anyway, thanks for the information.

DavidM

Designer
Oct 28, 1999
www.muenni.ch
with a light texture you can create a dark athmosphere too, it all depends on your lighting
you can do anything with light colored textures

NozzeM

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Yes that's true, i do also think that dark textures can be used for the cliffs but now the contrast between the grass/dirt is to large compared to the cliffs. If i were to make a lava map with this dark texture then it would be fine (like the sunspire) but with alot of nature in it it needs something different.

Finding a suitable texture will be pretty hard though.

Last edited:

DavidM

Designer
Oct 28, 1999
www.muenni.ch
in operation na pali we used totally different textures, and new lighting etc, and i dont think we killed the unreal feeling, we rather improved it. i mean the lighting and textures in unreal are just that ugly because they couldnt do better at that time, they were level design n00bs, you know ;)

NozzeM

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
I can see what you mean with different textures by looking at the mountain textures in onp. They are nice and light and really are an improvement when we talk about lightning. However, it doesn't have the dark and raw atmosphere that unreal 1 had (i haven't played onp because i don't own ut1 so what i say is only based on the screenshots). The shots look great though. Some of the architecture is very well done, especially for the old engine.