Laser...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
www.unrealannihilation.com
ok. heres what im trying to do. i want a sniper laser, like the ont in T2 kinda. basically it should be a long, instant, solid beam that fades away... has a infinate range but wont go through walls.

so, im kinda at a loss of how to do this, how can i make the laser effect? i dont want to spawn dozens of small lasers, as that would create alot of lag. could someone point out how to do this please?:(

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
You could make the pieces bigger by increasing their draw scale and decreasing their fatness.

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
wait, the shock rifle might work after all... depends on alot of side things though. ill toy with it, and if i cant get it working ill try somthing else.
edit> not sure exactly how the projectile works, nevr messed with this kinda weapon before...

Last edited:

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
I didn't actually mean to use one big piece, I meant you could do that to make fewer, larger pieces.

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
fatness is a byte (0<255) and extreme numbers give weird results.
The shockrifle (and pulsegun altfire) use recursivity.Although I don't like recursivity as a part of my philosophy of coding,they both work well in game.

method:spawn a little piece of laser material at the end of the gun.This one will in turn spawn at its end another of the same projectile(a child projectile),which in turn ,etc... until either they meet an actor or a certain distance.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
Does the pulse gun lag? Or the shock rifle? A shock rifle-like laser would probably lag more than a pulse gun laser, since the shock laser is made of particles, which can get laggy at times.

Postal

I apear to have lost my pin.
Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
pritty near everything in the game lags somewhat, try playing online in a map that has no textures, one room, and no weapon, you will have a hirer ping, but no fun. yea the shockrifle lags, but its nto bad, dont complain.

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
Originally posted by Postal
pritty near everything in the game lags somewhat, try playing online in a map that has no textures, one room, and no weapon, you will have a hirer ping, but no fun. yea the shockrifle lags, but its nto bad, dont complain.
umm, yeah, thats all good an well in a DM game with 12 or so people, but in this mod.. 32 player max (engine limit i think) a ingodly number of bots filling in holes, 50 or so structures (as stationary pawns) in that kinda scenerio, lag != good.:rolleyes: