JB-Divergence (formerly JB- ...noname)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
Vatcilli zeitchef said:
The updated buglist is completely different from the first.
does that mean the origional bugs are all fixed or are the problems
in both lists still there?

I'd better stop mapping. I obviously suck at it and won't get any
comment since there are much better maps out here
(this one for instance).

Those are just bugs that were found since the beta was released.
Don't stop mapping! You're doing good for a first map, and it takes practice. There are much better maps than this one out there but it doesn't put me off. :)

Vatcilli zeitchef

Dead and back
May 16, 2005
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Wish I had the faith and the skills to go on,
But n00b maps just are not being tested and thus
never fixed or finished.:hmm:
R.I.P JB-Monody:eek:

Anyway back to your map.
It looks real good and I haven't seen any real bugs
that are not mentioned yet,
There is one fighter in the skybox that is not black
What did you do different on that one?
Botpathing is well done as well as lighting.
Weapon placement is good though it is
quite difficult for released prisoners to get to their
Base for a decent weapon.
Anyway it looks real good, Add a loadingscreen
and it will be ready to roll.

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
What do you think of the arena, escape route and jail door timings? are they ok? Did anyone have problems with the bots using the translocator point near the lock?
I was also wondering if you think the map would play better if the jails were swapped around.

Vatcilli zeitchef said:
There is one fighter in the skybox that is not black
What did you do different on that one?
The circling ship is a mover and the others are mesh emitters, but I can't get the mesh emitters to go unlit or change the way they're facing.

G.Lecter said:
> Indoors look awesome, however I think the outdoor areas still need more eyecandy (especially around the switch)
The_Head said:
Just add to the eye candy in some places and I can't really think of much else.
More eye candy it is then :D

Last edited:

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Hazel said:
The circling ship is a mover and the others are mesh emitters, but I can't get the mesh emitters to go unlit or change the way they're facing.

I can't get them to change the way they face either.
Might be an idea to ask further afield -- mapping forum on BU, or even (gasp!) the Atari forums.
It could be that the mesh emitter was designed with stuff like snowflakes in mind, where the initial orientation doesn't matter. Which would be a pity :(

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Hazel said:
Here's what I think about the switch layout:
If you stand near the edge you've got a better vantage point but it's higher risk because someone can easily shoot you off the edge with the shock rifle or rocket launcher. The player moving towards the lock may also have an advantage because they have more space to move around, while you're stuck on a little bridge. If you move closer to the ramps you're nearer to the pickups but less likely to see attackers. If you're above the archway you can probably watch both of the upper entrances but not the lower one at the same time. Two players could defend the lower corridor and upper room with the lightning gun but you've still got the same number of routes to cover (and needs some teamwork).
Yeah, you're right, but what I mean is that staying beside the swtch, defenders have a certain chance to fight attackers (even if they are in disadvantage). I think everyone will stay beside the switch when only 1 player of the opposite team is remaining, and that player has not any chance to take a path where it couldn't be seen so easily...
Bleh, there are 'for' and 'against' plots for everything, so leave it as it's now if you think it's OK... :)

What textures do you suggest?
Here they are: :D

Attachments

• DivergenceTexturing1.jpg
    DivergenceTexturing1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 20
  • DivergenceTexturing2.jpg
    DivergenceTexturing2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DivergenceTexturing3.jpg
    DivergenceTexturing3.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DivergenceTexturing4.jpg
    DivergenceTexturing4.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 18
  • DivergenceTexturing5.jpg
    DivergenceTexturing5.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
Thanks :D I like the star pattern on the floor, trims, jail floor and I'll definitely get rid of those arrows ;) Yeah the lock area is something to think about, confusing. Not sure about the hourpitores and desolation textures. The hourpitores texture is similar to the one already used on the walls, and the desolation textures look very washed out and low quality to me. I like the existing floor texture because of the angles, but I can modify some of those textures or make new ones :)

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Hazel said:
...Not sure about the hourpitores and desolation textures. The hourpitores texture is similar to the one already used on the walls, and the desolation textures look very washed out and low quality to me. I like the existing floor texture because of the angles, but I can modify some of those textures or make new ones :)
The wall texture is what I dislike the most lol... :rolleyes:
It's not the drawings/shape of the textures what I don't like. They are the materials/stones what is not fitting with the theme of the map. The tiles of the 'angled' texture remind an old factory, not the futuristic greenhose that Divergence is... :D Same for the other industrial textures; if you think you can tweak their 'materials', don't wait a minute! :) ...but that wall texture looks so... uhm... :hmm:

gl :)

Last edited:

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
I've still got some more stuff to do and I'm away for the weeked so it'll probably be monday or tuesday before I can upload the next beta :(

Edit:
Here's a preview of the loading screen
loadingscreen_preview.jpg

Last edited:

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
JB-Divergence Beta 2

I uploaded beta version 2. The only bug I know of is the small bsp error in the pattern above the red jail door. :) Someone on the atari forums said the spikes don't kill you when you stand next to the window, but I haven't had that problem yet. How are the frame rates for you? Is there anywhere else I can put antiportals?

jb-divergence-beta2.zip (10.5MB)

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
The_Head said:
Framerates are fine. Havent seen it go below 100fps on my comp on maz settings in 1280x1024. Keep it coming with the eye candy!
Don't forget to be using Anti Aliasing when taking the screenshots.

:eek: What have you got? Mine runs between 30 and 60 fps at 1024x768 most of the time.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Good work! :rockon:
- My framerates stay about 20-30, which is a very good number for my system specs. They sometimes drop to 15 (when there are too many bots together, when I get into the release switch emitters...), but it's fine overall.
- I think the star patterns look a bit odd beside the hexagon texture, check how does it look substracting a bit of the floor and adding trim... :rolleyes:
- The area around the switches still looks a bit too brush-shaped... :(
- The spikes in the jail sometimes don't work, especially the first time they appear each execution. It's not something too important though.
- Maybe arena matches shouldn't be so often, with so many players... ;)

Last edited:

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
Thanks, the final version is almost ready. I fixed the bugs, changed the arena match times and tweaked a few other things :)

Edit: waiting for confirmation from nalicity

Last edited:

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
JB-Divergence Final Version

Here's the final version! :)
jb-divergence.zip (11 MB)

I uploaded it on Friday and I'm waiting for the map to appear on NaliCity, but I'll let you know once it's there. You can find more screenshots and stuff here: http://www.hazelwhorley.com/maps.html

div_scr1.jpg

Last edited: