1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JB-Divergence (formerly JB- ...noname)

Discussion in 'Jailbreak Maps and Add-Ons' started by Hazel.H, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Hazel.H

Hazel.H Member

This is about a week's worth of mapping, still can't think of a name for it. The layout is done and I'm working on the lighting and visuals at the moment. The theme is odd - it's a structure in space that kind of looks like a mixture of ancient and futuristic styles, with lots of plants. Hopefully I'll release the alpha version within the next week :) Does anyone have ideas for a good name?

alpha_scr1.jpg alpha_scr2.jpg alpha_scr3.jpg alpha_scr5.jpg alpha_scr6.jpg

2. Birelli

Birelli meh...

Mmm...looks tasty :)

Some of the geometry is a little low-poly compared to some new maps, but I like that look, it has a nice "clean" feeling to it. Anyway the lighting more than makes up for that, looks to me like you've done an excellent job getting nice contrasts and shadowing. Oh, and from that one screenshot :tup: :tup: for the skybox.

I'm horrible with naming so I won't go there, looking forward to trying this one though :)

3. G.Lecter

G.Lecter Registered Tester

Looks preety good, nice work! :)
    But I'm horrible with naming too... :p

4. CycLon.NL

CycLon.NL New Member

crap...

that looks awesome, someone throw me a decent gfx card and a copy of ut2k4 here :D

5. Jrubzjeknf

Jrubzjeknf Registered Coder

looks great! JB-Great! Hmm, that aint it :p

BioStruct? Overgrowth? Just throwing in ideas..

6. Hans Oberlander

Hans Oberlander Member

what about, GothicaArboria?

7. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

You have some serious skills in mapping. Looks really simple but still awesome. Probably a treat on fps for people with lower spec systems.

JB-Organic? <- If so please use the music Organic from UT99, was the best song in the game.
    Can't think of any other names worth mentioning yet.... I shall return....

8. Jrubzjeknf

Jrubzjeknf Registered Coder

Organic: name does not show up at nalicity

9. Hazel.H

Hazel.H Member

Sounds like a good idea :D There's one map called DM-Organic for UT99, and nothing comes up on ut2004 stats search. I'm not sure the name fits the map but I like the music :)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  10. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

I'm just thinking of an excuse to use that song lol.
    You could make it some sort of take on the word Organic perhaps

11. Birelli

Birelli meh...

...there's always the random made-up word that kind of sounds cool method. If you want to go that route and come up blank there's random name generators around online you could try out.

12. Vatcilli zeitchef

Vatcilli zeitchef Dead and back

Why not it's a nice song, well I tried to convert it to ogg once but then my impulse tracker went down:( and now it does not work anymore.

13. Hazel.H

Hazel.H Member

JB-Divergence Alpha 1

Here's the first alpha version, I decided to call it "Divergence" :)
    JB-Divergence-Alpha1.zip (7.3MB)

The map is nowhere near finished but it would be nice to get some feedback on the layout and weapon placement ;) There are a few things I'm not sure about like the lift outside the jail and the middle area.

Known Bugs:
    * Lighting and decorations aren't finished
    * Some parts of the map still need blocking volumes to stop you climbing/translocating there
    * Bots fight with the assault rifle in the arena even when they have other weapons
    * I haven't done anything to help the frame rates yet so they're a bit low
    * Plant box meshes at either end of the map appear black on the edges
    * The jump pads at the middle are temporary until I make some custom ones
    * The basic botpathing is complete but I haven't added any defence points or assault paths

I have another problem: when the time limit runs out and there's no overtime the game is meant to stop, but no scoreboard appears and you can keep on playing :lol: If you win the match by getting the score limit it works fine. It works ok in all other maps. I've copied and pasted the map into a new file but it didn't help. Does anyone know how to fix it?

14. Spudsy

Spudsy Unreal Tournament Junkie

Alpha? So there is no bot support at all eh?

15. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

The bots played pretty well... :)

A few points:
    - the water in jails goes CRAZY! HUGE waves!
    - the lift out of jail isn't brilliant. Whoever gets to the lift first leaves other players waiting below.
    - I like the view onto the arena from jail, but because that's a sort of portcullis I wasn't sure if that might be the way out.
    - the map in general seems a bit dark.

Great map overall. Good fun to defend with combo shots! :D

PS. Want me to change the thread title now you've chosen a name for the map?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  16. Hazel.H

Hazel.H Member

Do you think a jump pad would be better than a lift outside the jail? I like the lift because you can lift jump onto the upper platform or just walk off it to the link gun, but it's annoying when you have to wait. :)

Please ;) Thanks INI btw, I might have ended up calling it snifam2 or something :D

17. Vatcilli zeitchef

Nice layout you got there.
    Can you please tell me how you managed
    to change the .sm3 file to OGG the one I'm
    using can only convert wav and mp3.

Bots played well. And the name you chose was fine too.
    Thanks for adding the Organic music!

18. G.Lecter

Very nice work! I think it sould have been called ‘beta’ because it’s fully playable... :rolleyes:
    - I like a lot the central area of the map, but I’m sure everyone will stay in the bases. The map is too easy to defend, switch-defenders always can see who’s going to attack (picture 1), attackers don’t have any chance to surprise the opposite defender-team... :( If the paths in the switch area were more spread people wouldn’t feel so safe there and they would go to hunt to the middle which is much more fun... :D
    - I don’t like some textures at all. Half of the textures (especially those used on the floors and that 'AlleriaArchitecture wall' one) look too industrial-ish, I think they don’t fit with the theme... There are some textures from DM-1on1-Desolation you haven’t used yet and they would look way better than those ones IMO...
    - Some walls still look too plain and the doorways need a trim mesh IMO...
    - The lifts go too slow, make them faster... :con:
    - Why don’t you add something more creative than monsters for the execution? :rolleyes: The water in the jails can make you get ‘stuck’ and not to get out of the jail at time. I think it would be better removed...
    - The GrenadeLauncher is not a very attractive weapon for the arena in such a risky place, I would replace it by a ShockRifle or a RocketLauncher...
    - How can the escape be done if the Teleporters are out of the escape room?
    - If you are patient, add translocator bot support (just force more pathnodes to jumpspots, if the bots can't do these jumps they will use the translocator if it's available...)
    - Picture 2: I agree, a Jumpad would be better...
    - Picture 3: It would be great liftjumping from the shock room to the middle... and that skybox is awesome, but it really doesn’t fit with the map. :(
    - Picture 4: Ehm... :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

19. Vatcilli zeitchef

@Lector: the part of the jumppads was spoken of already.:rolleyes:
    But at most things I agree,
    you don't really like lifts much do you?
    @Hazel: Real nice all those things you did her but I agre with Lector
    But since it is an Alpha I won't judge you on those things.

20. G.Lecter

I love lifts, but sometimes they don't work wery well. And I am one of those that think lifts always should come with at least 1 possible liftjump... :D

I used once a program called DBPowerAMP to convert a music track from the old UT (.umx) to .ogg. You need the program and a couple of plugins, but I don't remember the links, sorry. Try with Google... ;)