JB-Crusher

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
I've found some time to check the map out and look for new ideas. I like the way you have made the arena, very curious... :D Great visual changes around the map, too!
- The framerates are quite low in my comp... :(
- I'd recommend scaling the map up a bit (about +5-10%). Those new brick meshes are sticking out of the walls and reducing considerably the playable space...
- All those new machinery Movers would be better if they were ClientMovers. Normal movers are syncronized during online play (which means more lag), whereas ClientMovers aren't. Lifts and everything triggered must be normal movers of course, but all the moving stuff that is not game relevant should be replaced by ClientMovers... ;) Sorry, I should have advised that when I saw the old pics...
I downloaded once a little tool that might help you to re-key all the movers faster. [Attached bellow]
- You can get stuck at any wall. :( All the brick meshes should be inside the BlockingVolumes, unlike now that most of the bricks go out of the Volumes... :p
- The jumps are not pathed in the arena, so the shield is always yours. Place the JumpSpots on the boxes, set them to JumpSpot->bForceAllowDoubleJump=True, and force PathNodes to them.
- Too many BioAmmo in the arena, I think one AmmoPack bside the Bio and another one on each box is enough. Consider placing a few vials on the edges so you have a better chance to kick players out. Maybe the Shield would be better changed by a small shield or the Amp... :rolleyes:
- I am using a RandomTrigger actor (made by SuperApe ;)) in my map to give a random characeter to the executions. You could use it here to make the pistons move in different orders during each execution. In addition, more pistons could be added on the bottom/sides of the jails to add different kinds of death sequences... :D [Actor attached bellow]
- Why don't you convert the bricks from the jails to movers to move them out of the camera view when the execution starts? Adding lots of great improvements the map but leaving the camera as it's now... uhmm... :hmm:
- The grate texture looks too ugly, isn't there a better one?
- Lighting could use more contrast, like more light coming from the windows, and bigger torches bringing more light around them.
- Make the lifts a bit faster and lower their StayOpenTime as much as possible. ;)
- Took some screens and drew a few lines on them... :D
crusher5np.jpg

The reasons for the health placement moves are:
· Pic2: Healths on the back paths to encourage taking them, they are the longest and more dangerous of the paths IMO.
· Pic5: There is a shield in the base already. Moving those healths to the middle might make people go out a bit more...

Keep it up! :)

Attachments

• MoverReKeyerBETA3.zip
    19 KB · Views: 1
  • RandomTrigger.zip
    14 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

RevBillyG

Taking over the world.
Nov 10, 1999
Damn, I was dreading your visit ;)

Actually, that's nothing too bad to do. I'll get to work. Thanks :)

RevBillyG

Taking over the world.
Nov 10, 1999
I'm still working on stuff. Implimenting Lecters suggestions while waiting to goto work in the morning.

I've scaled the map up by 10% too. Need to redo some brick meshes and sort out the blocking volumes.

Oh, and can anyone suggest a decent grate texture?

Last edited:

Trueblood

Silly Brit
Jan 19, 2003
Brighton, UK
www.yourass.com
from what i've learnt from 35mins of mapping..being a perfectionist gets you no where ;)
The fact that there isnt blue light going through the blue window doesnt really bug me..infact i like abit of bright colour in that gloomy map :)
Im guessing the purpose of having health at the lock is to encourage defence? not like its in a handy place or the attackers though..which is good n_n
I agree with the extra walking space :) but trimming the wall means spam :(

Last edited:
May 12, 2005
Hey rev, I wish you the best of luck when you are finishing this map. post a final beta so we can confirm any bugs for you.

cheers bud!

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Is there an ETA on the new version of this?
(And what is it called, BTW? Crusher2b? Crusher2-Gold?)

I presume you want the new version to go in the map pack, not the one already released?

RevBillyG

Taking over the world.
Nov 10, 1999
Name isn't finalised yet, any suggestions?
I don't have an ETA I'm afraid. I don't get much time to work on it atm.

"When it's done" ;)

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
I think we need a mini-FAQ for the readme, just to explain ALL the different crusher maps.

Do you want a hand with this, Rev? Or should we leave it out of the pack?

RevBillyG

Taking over the world.
Nov 10, 1999
LOL are you saying I made too many? :p

Sorry, haven't read the map pack thread yet. When's the due date?

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
RevBillyG said:
LOL are you saying I made too many? :p

Sorry, haven't read the map pack thread yet. When's the due date?

No, but that I'm confused by them all! I had to reread most of this thread just to figure out the ccurrent situation!

The due date is... when the candidate maps are ready :)

RevBillyG

Taking over the world.
Nov 10, 1999
I'm just working on widening the pathways a touch. Basically, I'm cutting out the walls and moving those brick meshes back into the holes. It means that those close passageways will be the same, if not wider, than in the original map.

RevBillyG

Taking over the world.
Nov 10, 1999
JB-Crusher was for JB3.
JB-Crusher2k4 was abandoned.
JB-Crusher2 was remade for UT2k4
JB-Crusher3 is the last one :)