1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JB-Crusher

Discussion in 'Jailbreak Maps and Add-Ons' started by RevBillyG, Feb 14, 2005.

1. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Taking over the world.

Some of you may remember that I remade JB-Crusher for 2k4. It was totally different from the original and, well, it was crap :)

So, I've decided to remake the whole thing again but this time a lot more faithful to the original.

Just some screenshots for now as I've still got a fair bit to do. Although it is fully playable at the moment.

No, I didn't steal the stained glass windows from Zed. He just got there before me :)

Excuse the blurriness of the shots but that's what happens when you resize from 1600x1200 to 640x480 :eek:

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      46.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      53.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      52.5 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      51.3 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      73.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  2. RevBillyG

One more.

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      52.8 KB
      Views:
  3. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

That looks great!

Are you releasing a public beta? Let me know when you do, I'll post news for it.

Even if the 2k4 Crusher is crap... *cough* Nali City!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  4. CoolDude

CoolDude New Member

Yeah, another spammy map. :rockon:
    Lol, my thoughts exactly. :D
    When you call it Crusher, it should smell, feel and play like Crusher.
    I'm glad you decided to redo the whole thing.

5. gunhero

gunhero Banned

please let me and other test it out, i've been a mod tester for shattered oasis but i left it because they wouldnt fix the bugs because they were too lazy, although i've gained a reputation for sniffing out all the normal gameplay bugs :2thumb: :2thumb:

6. RevBillyG

There will be a public beta hopefully within the next week or so. I just want to make things as perfect as I can so I don't have to work too hard to fix it :)

7. ZedMaestro

ZedMaestro Useless

From the screenshots:
    • Make a frame for the windows or paintings (not sure what they are) in the background. Frames and rims create a nice effect and contrast for pretty much everything you put them around, like the windows, statues, and also for edge trimming.
    • Are those grates near the switch lit properly?
    • The lifts look really bad imo. They're really small, and the backwall is plain black BSP. Make them deeper and have a curved edge.
    • From the top view, the crusher is held to the chain by a remarkably thin section of metal ;)
    • While the light box and surrounding light of the windows looks nice, the interior lighting from the numerous candles does appear a bit unrealistic. The best example comes from the third pic; Just how is the underside of the walkway lit? ;)
    • Vary the textures a bit more by subtracting or adding BSP to existing surfaces. This would be particularly good around the release switch and the main floor. Other areas, like the surrounding walkway, could just do with varying the textures rather than having it used all the way round.
    • Please be sane when you place the ammo and weapon pickups. Dont overdo it just because of the map's reputation for its "style of play". I'm particularly referring to the 4 bio rifle pickups next to the release switch, and I assume that there are yet another 4 on the other side... a few metres away.
    Looking foward to playing around with the beta :)
    I'm sure I'll find a few things for you ;)

8. Trueblood

Trueblood Silly Brit

I hope its not as small as the original :eek:
    and not as big as the "other" one :p

9. RevBillyG

Blimey, he's off already ;)

• The paintings are static meshes. Therefore they do have frames. :)
    • The grates are lit ok.
    • The lifts are sexy and you know it :p The back wall needs lighting properly though and maybe some extra detail (if I can get away with it)
    • Strange and magical forces created the crusher. Good point though. :)
    • There are a lot of candles that you can't see in that picture. Every light has a corresponding source.
    • There's a fair bit of texture 'banding' on the walls to break the textures up a bit. Good idea around the switches though. I like the constant use of the same texture on the walkways and they have a fair amount of trim.
    • The ammo placement is temporary. I kinda just plopped them down for the moment:))

Cheers Zed. Any chance you could get Xfire so I can bother you occasionally? :)

10. RevBillyG

It's about 25% larger than the original. Still kinda tight but a lot more room to move.

11. CoolDude

CoolDude New Member

DON'T listen to him !!!! :D

12. ZedMaestro

ZedMaestro Useless

DON'T listen to him either on that one !!!! ;)

13. Sexmachine

Sexmachine - retired -

Yay! Great decision to redo this kick ass map (and to skip Crusher2k4) - Cheers Rev! You're my man! :)

14. Trueblood

Trueblood Silly Brit

All you would need to do is use the speed adrenalin, side-step double jump and you cover half of the map :eek:
    Listen to the Brits \o/ :lol: (appart from Tarquins link ;) )

15. RevBillyG

Ok, beta1 is here. I played with Boost the other day, seems to be jolly good fun :) Flak lovers will jump with joy :rolleyes: You can also ride the crusher (if you're careful!)

Known issues:
    Some of the lifts are overly bright. Dunno how to fix it :/
    No loading screen as of yet.

I've purposefully not included any adrenaline as with the amount of spammage it's very easy to get 100.

JB-Crusher2k4_beta1.zip (9.12mb)

16. Hellsangie

Hellsangie Anja

Yeehaw, I just love it!!!! :flak: Thank you for the remake Rev! :clap:

17. Mychaeel

Mychaeel New Member

"Woooooohooooo! I'm the king of the wooooorld!" :D

Very nice. I definitely like the execution sequence.

Two nitpicks though:
    • Those textures (see attached screenshot) look a bit out of place. If you say that's on purpose, I'll just shut up.

• On both sides, the sun (or whatever) shines into the windows and creates a projection on the wall. Very pretty :) -- but unless this is happening on a planet with two suns, it's physically impossible. ;) No need to change it, though, especially since it's impossible to note unless you explicitly look for it. It just struck me as strange.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  18. RevBillyG

Those textures are there just to help the players tell which end of the map to aim for :) Could anyone suggest a better texture or effect?

heh you know what? I never really thought of that :lol: Still, that's why I map for JB and not some real life mod like Red Orchestra. ;)

19. Mychaeel

Mychaeel New Member

Ain't there red and blue flags/banners you could hang there? I think that might look pretty.

20. A Jailbreak fan

A Jailbreak fan Banned

I agree is Mike

put those mesh flags those ones look crappy.

Also that 100 health keg goes right through the crusher and it looks really wierd.