Is there a scientific explanation for what gives us our identity?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
If I didn't come from nothing, then where was I before I was conceived?
you weren't anywhere.
because you weren't.

understand?
before you were conceived, you were not.

there's no "you" outside of your body and mind.
the baby and its brain begin to develop, and eventually it will develop its sense of self. Completely independent of the other billions of "selves" out there...
that's basically all there is to it.
Do you believe then that once you die that's it? You will never exist again?
that's what I believe, yes.
Who's to say that after I die, I won't become the "mind" of some baby that's yet to come into existence in the year 2100?
because then it wouldn't be you.

get it?

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I award you best reply. :)
w00t.

actually, it's something I've thought about pretty intensely in my spare time.
ever since I was like 10 years old I've been playing with the same kinds of questions.

it makes for great happy hour conversation if you know some people who are into philosophical/existential debate.
and it's generally fascinating, I think. as humans, how can you not be entertained by trying to answer such a question?

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
thoughts

Who you are now will never exist again. As time passes, we slowly become different people; we are amorphous, always changing. This is why you know so much more and think so much differently than even a couple years ago, and as you get older your worldview, your body, your way of life will again and again change. Life has many different phases.

Do you believe then that once you die that's it? You will never exist again? Who's to say that after I die, I won't become the "mind" of some baby that's yet to come into existence in the year 2100?
I believe that, once you die, there is nothing - sleep without dreams. This void is only broken by conscious life - birds, dolphins, humans, and all the other life forms spread across the universe. You broke this void not the moment you were conceived, possibly not even in your first few years of life - but once you became conscious enough to recognize that you were, in fact, alive. For me, I would consider that only in the past few years have I really become "conscious." As for the basis of this, it has to do with the patterns formed by trillions of synaptic connections among cells in our brain. Once you die, the universe will find a place for "you" (there is no better substitute in human language) again, and you will again wake up - whatever life form it may be.

edit - TL'DR - the universe is unconscious. you will only be able to experience the universe if you ARE a conscious part of it - a human, a dolphin, a sentient alien life form. it's a selection bias when you ask how "you" got here, because you would never be able to ask that if all the pieces hadn't landed just right, resulting in your consciousness.

Last edited:

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
People will just keep repeating the same thing other peopleos have already said in this thread,
I believe that, once you die, there is nothing - sleep without dreams. This void is only broken by conscious life - birds, dolphins, humans, and all the other life forms spread across the universe. You broke this void not the moment you were conceived, possibly not even in your first few years of life - but once you became conscious enough to recognize that you were, in fact, alive. For me, I would consider that only in the past few years have I really become "conscious." As for the basis of this, it has to do with the patterns formed by trillions of synaptic connections among cells in our brain. Once you die, the universe will find a place for "you" (there is no better substitute in human language) again, and you will again wake up - whatever life form it may be.
Like that song, Hypnic Jerk by JT Buce.

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
People will just keep repeating the same thing other peopleos have already said in this thread,

Like that song, Hypnic Jerk by JT Buce.
Ah but check my TLDR:

the universe is unconscious. you will only be able to experience the universe if you ARE a conscious part of it - a human, a dolphin, a sentient alien life form. it's a selection bias when you ask how "you" got here, because you would never be able to ask that if all the pieces hadn't landed just right, resulting in your consciousness.

No one had said that yet, so there

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
I didn't mean that when I said that. Just what you are saying is like in the song.

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
So, was this supposed to be a metaphysical philosophy thread, or do you want hard science as to the product and development of your identity?

Seriously, I see some people trying a scientific approach, and I see others proclaiming beliefs that are bizare atheistic religious beliefs, but... what exactly do you want to gain out of the thread?

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
We will never know the answer. Same thing with God. We never will truly know the answer, just think how long the God tradition has persevered.

In unanswerable (or very close to unanswerable) situations like this: ignorance is bliss.

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
I didn't mean that when I said that. Just what you are saying is like in the song.
http://www.last.fm/music/JT+Bruce/_/Hypnic+Jerk

Feel like I should have been on hallucinogens or at least high to listen to that! It was cool though... unpredictable.. what I liked most was the line at the end, "reality is no more than a passing dream" I think that has a good bit of truth to it... I mean the past 10 years of my life, now that all they amount to is memories, may as well have been part of dream, it certainly feels like it, and other than putting me where I am now in life they ultimately had no meaning, like a dream... and of course once we're gone from this planet, it won't matter... nothing really does... I have faith in the universe itself, since the universe brought us here, the universe made everything around us, every piece of technology, every cell phone and video game, every car... not to mention every tree and every animal... every planet and every star... all made by the universe... f*cking amazing... thoughts like that make me not really worry about anything, because really, what is there to worry about? the universe has it under control, and it's ****ing amazing.

Last edited: