1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Is there a scientific explanation for what gives us our identity?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Twisted Metal, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

You have no science to back it up, therefore it is an assumption. It might have a basis, but that's not scientific proof.

And something isn't always better than nothing.

2. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Well-Known Member

OMG that site blinds my eyes. Anyway I had near death experience too and I don't talk about it at all.

Anyway...I wanted to note some behavior, there is this: Let's hurt it more because it is weak.....or let's get it less votes because already someone voted against it...or or....

I am against such behavior and it was partially a reason why I got into flamewars in some forums. I don't care if they have own opinions, fine I let them, but what pisses me off is that someone hurts something because it is already hurt before forming his own opinion....
    It can be also explained why Daikatana failed partially or why heal and hurt threads generally fail and people will hurt something just because it has low points, not thinking about it deeply at all. No, I am being serious in here, just think about it.

3. M.A.D.X.W

M.A.D.X.W Active Member

If you hold a knife close to your throat it's a near death experience.

Wo you're tlaking about Daikatana again :O

4. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Well-Known Member

That's more like before near death experience....the near death experience begins when you actually cut yourself with it and or about to die or die and then they rescue you or something lol.

5. shadow_dragon

shadow_dragon is ironing his panties!

I'm sorry but i DO know that self awareness can be begotten through mutation as mutation can "beget" intelligence.
    I currently have a loaf of bread in my hand btw... but i guess i'm just assuming that because i don't have any science to tell you that... Out of interest where do i get an internet compatable science-o-meter?*vomit*

I'm not sure you got my point. You said you didn't know the answer, i say i do... then you tell me i'm wrong... despite the fact you don't know the answer... forgive me if I find that a little ludicrous.
    You can only assume i'm assuming after all. I'm a person on the internet, we are essentially all Schrödinger's cat, you can't know what i do and don't know unless you do... which you don't... Which is odd because i told you...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  6. dragonfliet

dragonfliet I write stuffs

The rest of your annoyance was only half coherent, but I did derive some pleasure in thinking of Leo and his contrary everything opinions in a box with an unstable radioactive isotope and some corrosive acid...

~Jason

7. Cowlike

Cowlike New Member

So that's how conjurers bend spoons with their mind, the particles in the spoon are aware of the human looking at them and decide to act differently.

8. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

Yeah I always happen to think about what we - I really am. What exactly is this inner "soul" that would actually control my brain and my brain my body. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced it simply is the brain. And by life's will we simply are committed to that; live to die. Come from nowhere and disappear for ever. I hope to think wrong.

9. M.A.D.X.W

M.A.D.X.W Active Member

No that's it. Just science.
    Sometimes I'm ashamed of my human origins when yous start trying to complicate everything in the search for "meaning" and reasons for stuff.

10. Cowlike

Cowlike New Member

You may find this TED talk interesting: http://blog.ted.com/2008/03/jill_bolte_tayl.php
    Anyways in my experience if you're epileptic and have a micro seizure it's obvious there's no "soul" contolling anything, when that blob is short circuiting.

11. Sir_Brizz

I got your point, I was telling you it is wrong. If you'd like to provide scientific evidence that what your saying is infallible, then fine, however you haven't provided that and so I CAN only assume that you are making an assumption. For now, we could reason that your evidence is as circumstantial as the existence of God.

"sorry but i DO know that self awareness can be begotten through mutation as mutation can "beget" intelligence." Sorry, but HOW do you know that? We hardly have any scientific evidence of this, and even less that has been qualified.

12. shadow_dragon

shadow_dragon is ironing his panties!

It's actually fully coherent, i thought i'd put it quite simply too, but thanks.

And i'm telling you you have no right to tell me whether i'm right or wrong immediately after telling me that you don't know at all.
    Which is the point... which your still not getting btw.

Did Christopher Columbus ever set foot on a boat?
    If yes! Prove it scientifically
    If no! Prove it scientifically

If we can't prove either way "scientifically" does that mean we have to assume he did, didn't or that he never existed?

(Threads all yours now)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  13. Sir_Brizz

I'm getting it just fine, but you're wrong.
    Well, this comes down to trusting empirical sources. Note that I never suggested you had to PROVE what you were saying, I simply requested scientific EVIDENCE. Even a well researched scientific paper would suffice for that.

Aside from that, the fact that we don't know doesn't mean we should go around blindly stating assumptions and belief as fact. You say you know. So tell us HOW you know. If there is evidence supporting your case, surely it should be easy to find and provide.

Hundreds of years ago people knew that the sun revolved around the Earth or that the Earth was flat. They assumed. And they were wrong. Science may start with assumptions but it doesn't end with them.

So, I'm not sure what point you thought you were making. So far the only conclusion I can draw is that you DON'T know anything.

14. Godfrey.Payans

Godfrey.Payans Member

This example is just an argument for believing what you're told, which is what we do for most things, and is the reasonable thing to do most of the time. But it's based on probabilities rather than complete certainty.

However, I thought the original question was if there was a scientific explanation of self-awareness. It's quite reasonable to believe that it arises from mutation, but as far as explaining it goes, that's the same as saying "it is because it is".

15. Plumb_Drumb

Plumb_Drumb yumb

16. kiff

kiff That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash

sure thing Tonto ;)

Ok, well in that case, as the article states, a recent experiment that brings that conclusion also says we must "give up certain intuitive features of realism" OR assume the many worlds theory is correct (Schrödinger's cat is truly more than just a thought experiment). Ether way things get much weirder than accepting a consciousness is required. After all, how can they truly separate from the "observer" electron. And, what IS knowledge? but...

This would also say that our observations, sentient or not, define the universe and our mere observations have a profound effect on it.

Something else I found digging around. I haven't had time to find any criticisms, but this would certainly solve the op's question at some level:

http://dfcord.blogspot.com/
    "Interest in Quantum Consciousness"
    It's basically saying that since the only true randomness in nature is at the quantum level and there's evidence that our brains are wired to pick up on it. Identical twins can truly be unique in their thought processes AND our brains can solve problems that an algorithm cannot.

17. Cowlike

Cowlike New Member

18. kiff

yea, and I don't buy into all of that crap either. And, I'm also quite skeptical about that EGG experiment after looking into it.
    That said, the video just illustrates the basic experimental facts of the double slit experiment. I just posted that since it was a pretty good video for anyone that hasn't been exposed to it.

19. Synastren

Synastren Explodious!

Wait, you posted a video of questionable scientific merit to familiarize me with the double slit experiment? I assume you came to the conclusion that the EGG experiments were... skeptically done, at best, after your post?

Note: This is not meant to be inflammatory, but is rather a somewhat incredulous post.

Also, sorry I haven't responded to your previous post--I've been busy lately, and sick--but I don't know if that is even necessary now. :confused:

20. kiff

No, the double slit video is perfectly valid, but as Cowlike pointed out, the group that made it has some very questionable theories/conclusions.

That said, the conscious/sentient aspects aren't new and have been held by many physicists to some degree or another

I was always skeptical, but even moreso now