Is there a God?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What do you believe?

• I believe there is no God

Votes: 63 37.1%
  • I believe one can never tell if there's a God

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • I believe there is a God

Votes: 72 42.4%
  • I haven't thought about this yet

Votes: 5 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

_Zd_Phoenix_

Queen of BuFdom
May 1, 2001
Over the street. With binoculars.
Visit site
DEMACORE

originally posted by Demacore
God creates Universe for Man(as an expression of His love and desire to share the best of everything with us)

God is meant to be perfect, but he created the human being, who without sociaty to support it, is cruel and agressive. Man in society tends to be greedy and evil. Man is naturally this way, and seeing as God made us, he must have been the one to engender these traits into us. Free choice does not automatically mean those characteristics. How can a perfect beings creations not be perfect? That isn't logical.

Also, the devil is meant to have corrupted man. Why would God let this happen? If he's all powerful he COULD stop it. A test? Surely it is foolish to allow the devil to have so much influence with so little responce.

Its like a leaky tap. The tap drips (sin) onto the tiles below (man). You can wipe the water away (jesus) but the tap remains dripping. So the engineer (God) leaves a set of intructions on how to stop the leak (Bible) and then leaves to watch what happens. But then another engineer who wants the job trys to confuse people (Satan) and leaves other instuctions and ridicules the originals. The original engineer (i hate the word plumber) doesn't do anything to stop this.

Who is at fault. I wouldn't blame the people for there confusion with so many conflicting views. I would say the main blame is on the second engineer, with some fault falling at the feet of the first one. A perfect being is not meant to be at fault.

I think that analogy is logically correct, but please feel free to correct me...(me waits for TLD to appear.)

AGENT ORANGE

originally posted by AO
2) With the point about the bible, I dont believe it mainly because of the reason that if I put any preconceptions onto God then in some way I am limiting my belief in his power and flexibility. For instance if I believe that God was male with a beard then it could also lead to the belief that God has a male perception, that is why I dont define what God is. Also it is mainly my feeling of faith
for the reason that I believe what I believe.

But the Bible is meant to be divinely inspired, plus it is the way God's word has survived. It does seem a little odd (to me) to discount any of it, unless you take the view that the writers of it SAID it was inspired by God directly, but were lying. Which then brings the validity of the entire document into suspicion.

CICED

by Ciced
Why would God create Dinosaurs before man?

Why indeed? It seems a pointless act. The dinosaurs were wiped out by a meteor- if it were a natural occurence and God didn't mean it to happen, why did he create the meteor? Or if he sent it, why create something only to destroy it again in no time at all? And things without sentience as well.

I want to see (again) what TLD has to say on that.

agent-orange

I am a number, not a man
Aug 9, 2001
England
Visit site
This is going to annoy ALOT of people

Originally posted by _Zd_Phoenix_
DEMACORE
But the Bible is meant to be divinely inspired, plus it is the way God's word has survived. It does seem a little odd (to me) to discount any of it, unless you take the view that the writers of it SAID it was inspired by God directly, but were lying. Which then brings the validity of the entire document into suspicion.[

The bible might mean to of been divinely inspired but it is (allegedly) the word of god, but has been tranlated by man, which to me alters the perception of it. Also there is different versions of the bible which do have different meanings, so I do question the validity of it. I am not saying that there isnt alot of good stuff in there because there is, but with the very foundation of the book being questioned it does destabalise the content and then leads to the questions about what people truly believe.

Limbo

Ma Monkeys been [BuF]'ed!!!!
Apr 25, 2001
I'm too high to see...?!?
Visit site
Been away for a wee bit guyz, talking about guns in America with the INF forum. Finished now and thankfully Phoenix and TLD are putting in their 2 cents worth over there, so I won't have to. :D

You know this would be a good place to organise and send crack teams of POTATOE heathens and CHRISTIANS into other forums, seeing as how it is civilised in this thread. ;)

Talk about Guns... You get flame wars.
Talk about God... You get peaceful conversation.

I will direct my attention towards the promised response TLD just as soon as I can.

Blessings upon you all from the mighty POTATOE. :D :goshen: :D

agent-orange

I am a number, not a man
Aug 9, 2001
England
Visit site
Originally posted by _Zd_Phoenix_
but if the only true word of God that exists is suspect then that challenges Christianity as a whole doesn't it?

And there is some highly suspect editing going on in that quote...:)

exactly! It challenges christianity without denying the existence of god.

Note: unedited quote! lol

Demacore

Self Proclaimed Forum Lord
May 25, 2000
Visit site
As I said before.....

4. Man is given the chance to decide to keep living in God's best or "go for what's behind curtain number three".
5. Man chooses curtain #3 and looses everything.
6. God, knowing that this was always a possible outcome, built in a fail safe switch(a sort of reset button, if you will) called redemption that could be used in just such an emergency.
7.Basically everything that happened after the fall of Man is the setting up and implementation of that plan.
8. Jesus is the completion of the plan that allows a willing member of the human race to return to his former (God intended) glory.
9. The new testament is basically an instruction manual explaining how to get the most out of your restored status as the born again of God. So from that point it's really up to Man what he does to himself or others with the understanding that God either backs up the action or condems it.

And

There is also a little known fact about the legal side of this whole thing. To put it simply, When God "gave" the Earth to Man, legal athority was litterally granted to him. When Man chose to obey the enemy(satan) that was the same as Man giving almost all legal rights to this Earth and everything in it to Satan. That's the reason that the laws that govern nature are so harsh (Kill or be killed, Dog eat dog, Survival of the fittest.....). God has done all that He is legally able to do until the origional lease runs out.

And it has also been stated that....

the wages of sin(any sin) IS death. God knows this and doesn't want it to ever be our out come so He has made it POSSIBLE to live free of that doomed path in Jesus. Basically,without Him your toast. You are on your own and at the mercy of "fate".

It is also a mistake to ask why didn't God do something or why did God allow it to happen. Truth is, God already did "something" to stop the evil actions that go on today. His name is Jesus and He is the salvation of the world but you have to recieve Him in order to benifit from that deliverance power of God moving in your behalf supernaturally. If people won't bother recieving what He has done for them they have no right to complain about what they "think" He hasn't done for them.

You keep missing the point that God didn't create Man with an evil nature.(That cancels out the question of why God made Man imperfect.)

Man in his fallen state needs to be governed by the laws and rules of society but Man in his original state only needed God to say "don't do that,it will kill you". Man's true nature was not cruel or aggressive. You are refering to Man's sin nature when mention those kind of things, not Man as God created him. Your logic is based on not taking into account all of the info (that Christianity provides) when trying to formulate a legitimate question about Christian belief.

You ask why God didn't stop the devil? Why should God have stopped the devil when it was Man's responsability to do it. Man was given his instructions and athority over all of the Earth. God equiped Man with everything he needed to take care of business including the power to kick that talking serpent out of the garden as soon as it started smooth talking his wife. Let me put it this way: The Government gives you a license to kill and all the fire power you need to take care of any common threat to your family. Some rapest decides to try his luck with your wife and sneeks into your house. Unfortunatily for your wife, you stand there like some turd, watching her get assulted instead of using the power invested in you to bust a cap in his sorry behind. Then afterward you ask "Well why didn't the government do something?" In effect, they did by giving you the power to handle your business.

Now your analogy doesn't track for a few reasons.

"Its like a leaky tap. The tap drips (sin) onto the tiles below (man). "

This doesn't work because the tap was fine until man turned it on full blast.

"You can wipe the water away (jesus) but the tap remains dripping. "

Jesus actually doesn't merely wipe the tile clean but reforges(recasts) the tile and removes it from the source of contamination altogether. And besides, man isn't some helpless tile just sitting there with no choice but any way....

"So the engineer (God) leaves a set of intructions on how to stop the leak (Bible) and then leaves to watch what happens."

Actually it would be more like "God leaves a set of instructions on how to live free of the contaminating drip as well as what the drip does and why it's not a good thing to let it drip on you."

"But then another engineer who wants the job trys to confuse people (Satan) and leaves other instuctions and ridicules the originals."

Satan is more like the guy who had a job but got fired after he contaminated the water in the first place. God says don't turn on that tap because if you do you'll be destroyed. Man instead desides to listen to the fired guy and turns the tap on anyway.

" The original engineer (i hate the word plumber) doesn't do anything to stop this."

Sure He did by first saying "don't turn on the tap because it will kill you" and second making it possible to live free of the drip after the fact.

_Zd_Phoenix_

Queen of BuFdom
May 1, 2001
Over the street. With binoculars.
Visit site
Re: As I said before.....

Originally posted by Demacore
You keep missing the point that God didn't create Man with an evil nature.(That cancels out the question of why God made Man imperfect.)

No, you miss the point that this is a debate, and I don't neccessarily share your views on such points, so you cannot anull my previous question without explaining why you say God didn't create evil (TLD, if you could repost that stuff so I can find it I'd be very grateful :))

Man in his fallen state needs to be governed by the laws and rules of society but Man in his original state only needed God to say "don't do that,it will kill you". Man's true nature was not cruel or aggressive. You are refering to Man's sin nature when mention those kind of things, not Man as God created him. Your logic is based on not taking into account all of the info (that Christianity provides) when trying to formulate a legitimate question about Christian belief.

Oh, you did. But when did man 'fall'? Eden. The devil convinced Eve, who was naive, to eat the apple. When confronted by two influences, the voice of good and the voice of evil, which do you follow? I don't see why it is Adam or Eve's fault that the devil was too strong for them to resist.

You ask why God didn't stop the devil? Why should God have stopped the devil when it was Man's responsability to do it. Man was given his instructions and athority over all of the Earth. God equiped Man with everything he needed to take care of business including the power to kick that talking serpent out of the garden as soon as it started smooth talking his wife. Let me put it this way: The Government gives you a license to kill and all the fire power you need to take care of any common threat to your family. Some rapest decides to try his luck with your wife and sneeks into your house. Unfortunatily for your wife, you stand there like some turd, watching her get assulted instead of using the power invested in you to bust a cap in his sorry behind. Then afterward you ask "Well why didn't the government do something?" In effect, they did by giving you the power to handle your business.

I dont see anywhere in Genesis where it says they had that power in Eden.

And that was an amazingly bad analogy. Firstly, I don't live in the US, and am very opposed to guns, which takes all of this firepower rubbish out of the equation. Secondly, the government IS NOT meant to be all powerful and omnipotent.

If God was all powerful and omnipotent, he would easily be able to stop the devil and destroy him, instead of letting him subvert his children. So what the hell was God doing?

Now your analogy doesn't track for a few reasons.

"Its like a leaky tap. The tap drips (sin) onto the tiles below (man). "

This doesn't work because the tap was fine until man turned it on full blast.

Go could have stopped it.

"You can wipe the water away (jesus) but the tap remains dripping. "

Jesus actually doesn't merely wipe the tile clean but reforges(recasts) the tile and removes it from the source of contamination altogether. And besides, man isn't some helpless tile just sitting there with no choice but any way....

Well i disagree. Man has the devil constantly persuading him to do wrong things. Where is God? Where is his influence? It's all well and good leaving the instuctions, but when the devil creates other instuctions, how are we meant to choose?

"So the engineer (God) leaves a set of intructions on how to stop the leak (Bible) and then leaves to watch what happens."

Actually it would be more like "God leaves a set of instructions on how to live free of the contaminating drip as well as what the drip does and why it's not a good thing to let it drip on you."

ERRRRRRM ok.......

"But then another engineer who wants the job trys to confuse people (Satan) and leaves other instuctions and ridicules the originals."

Satan is more like the guy who had a job but got fired after he contaminated the water in the first place. God says don't turn on that tap because if you do you'll be destroyed. Man instead desides to listen to the fired guy and turns the tap on anyway.

But man doesn't know satan turned the tap on unless they believe the original instructions over the others. And there is no real logical reason to do that without the intervention of the original engineer. Who won't intervien.

" The original engineer (i hate the word plumber) doesn't do anything to stop this."

Sure He did by first saying "don't turn on the tap because it will kill you" and second making it possible to live free of the drip after the fact.

Maybe so, but that was 2000 years ago when no one from this time can be helped. And what has he done to stop the devil's apparent influences? nothing. If you have a warning sign telling people not to go onto a beach, and a man dressed up as a lifeguard who tells you it's ok, some people will believe the man.

Without removing Satan, it is God's fault that he has tainted the human race, which means he is not perfect, which in turn contradicts the Bible, and if the Bible is wrong it casts doubt on the entire Christian faith as it is the only link to God there is.

sic6six

JU$T A|\|0T]-[£R FALL£|\| A|\|G£L
Aug 29, 2001
UK (england)
Visit site
Wow Wot a tpic to think about!

Wow Wot a tpic to think about!
of course there is no god wot kind of question is that.
if he existed then why all the suffering? and dont tell me its the devil cause if it was then it looks like the devil is winning
:sniper:

chundah

Skillet
Mar 21, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by sic6six
of course there is no god wot kind of question is that.

A question that's been argued about for 47 pages :D

Christians believe that the Fall introduced suffering into the world. If that's so it's terribly unfair; men get to complain about weeds in the garden and struggling to grow food, while women have to suffer during childbirth.
How can a few measly weeds be equivalent to days of excruciating pain and possibly death?

Perhaps that's proof that God is male after all :rolleyes:

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
Hmm... here's a good addition to this thread:

The Bloodhound Gang
"Hell Yeah"

Alright now boys and girls we've got another story for you now!
We want to introduce to you another friend of the Bible!

Hell yeah
Hell yeah
Hell yeah
Hell yeah

If I were God there would be no explicit sex on T.V.
Like little Opie eating pie when he made it with Aunt Bea

If I were God thou shall not worship false Billy Idols
And thou shall add the Book Of Flavor Flav to the Bible
Thou shall make fun of Hindus thou shall not make a "Speed 2"
If I were God that's what I'd do Heavens no

Hell yeah
Hell yeah
Hell yeah
Hell yeah

If I were God I'd get a bunch of slaves to do everything
Norwegian lesbians that feed me grapes and know how to sing

If I were God thou shall not wear tube socks with Flip-Flops
Thou shall sit and thou shall spin thou shall even wife swap
Thou shall resist the Olsen Twins thou shall not cut "Footloose"
If I were God that's what I'd do Heavens no

Hell yeah
Hell yeah
Hell yeah
Hell yeah

And when they nail my pimpled ass to the cross
I'll tell them I found Jesus that should throw them off
He goes by the name Jesus and steals hubcaps from cars
Oh Jesus can I borrow your crowbar?
To pry these God damn nails out they're beginning to hurt
Crucified and all I got was this lousy tee shirt
"I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!" I'll sing as I'm flogged
Yeah that's what I would do if I were God
So vote for me for Savior and you'll go to Heaven
Your lame duck Lord is like Kevin Spacey in "Seven"
With creepy threats of H-E-Double-Hockey-Stick
You just can't teach an old God new tricks
But would I be a good Messiah with my low self-esteem?
If I don't believe in myself would that be blasphemy?
Just sport some crummy "holier than thou" facade
Yeah that's what I would do if I were God

BTW: pronounce Jesus as Hey-suess

As screwed up as this is, it's definately funny... just like the rest of their stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.