Is a rating score of 7 bad?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Mister_Prophet said:
I laugh at what some people pass off as flame nowadays.
No matter whether it's a 7 or a zero; if that's your honest opinion, it's your opinion.

What bugs me is when people are obviously posting ratings because they have gotten all precious over their friend's map getting a low rating or get equally offended or defensive because they don't agree with you're rating.

Sooner or later you get an idea of what commentators to read before deciding to download a map and who you should just ignore.

As far as the other topic of this thread goes:

(a) I never play any game with BG music and if I can't rebuild a map and get rid of the BGM I delete it. Personally I don't imagine these fantasy worlds as places where you walk around with your headset belting out metal.

(b) I like NIN a lot but I never listen to them while playing Quake.

milb

****** from Teen Arts
Feb 12, 2004
Germany
www.milb-maps.net
I think you miss the point of mapping!^^ It's not about to make a map wich hardcore players love, you know what kind of maps that are. BTW: I'm talking about hardcore players!;)
And like I said Ithaqua is just a map wich should look good and may for some people who don't play UT 8h a day! It's for normal players who pay more attention to visuals then to gp!
Will send you a mail when I'm done with my 5 brush gp-map!

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
meh, music in mp is such a grey area.
I can't see how it can actually detract from the map itself since rn <top40numetal.ogg> <whateveryouwant.ogg> or turning off music solves the problem. The only thing it can really do is add to the map if it actually fits. The relevance of custom music in mp if very low since it's so rare to find a peice that actually compliments the atmosphere and pace.

Eyuva 'S' NRG

dont mess with the toilet monster
Apr 27, 2000
Toilet
Visit site
zynthetic said:
meh, music in mp is such a grey area.
I can't see how it can actually detract from the map itself since rn <top40numetal.ogg> <whateveryouwant.ogg> or turning off music solves the problem. The only thing it can really do is add to the map if it actually fits. The relevance of custom music in mp if very low since it's so rare to find a peice that actually compliments the atmosphere and pace.

I forgot the song. It was a classic rock song, and it was hilarious to hear it in a map. But the map itself was a total dreck.

I think the song was... I wanna rock and roll all night long... or something, it was a classic rock hit mixed in with other songs, like how techno artists make a mix. LOL

IndySkyz

Don't F with me! Biatch
Nov 21, 2005
This whole thread got alittle off track, I personally like having music playing in the BG and I know it sounds strange but if I could DM for real and have an mp3 player jamming my favorite songs it would rock, so turning off the music doesn't solve the problem for me. But where things got off track is I gave the map a 7 minus 1 because the music didn't do it for me, thats a good 7 especially for a map that was supposedly just made to be looked at, would I call a map that was just average a 9 if it had music I loved, hell no, I think all maps should be designed to be a good playing map, I'm not talkin a 5 brush harcore thing but the maps first and foremost goal should be to make it fun and challanging for all players weather they be 8hr a day guys or 1hr a week players, otherwise all you have done is make an interactive picture.

All in all I thought the map was good but not great, from a mapping and playing point of view, but then I get told I'm not an astute mapper? do you have to be a famous artist to appreciate a good painting, or a pro musician to like music? would you build a cool custom car but not put an engine in it and say it was just to look at? anyway dont make your next map 5 brushes, just start with the idea I WANT TO MAKE A KICK MAP FOR PEOPLE TO PLAY and then take from there. Maps made to impress other mappers are usually forgotten quickly.

Last edited:

milb

****** from Teen Arts
Feb 12, 2004
Germany
www.milb-maps.net
Hm, at least I don't care about you're rating! The only problem was that you tried to start this senseless stupid duscussion about music and players vs. mappers! And that's why your comment was deleted not coz you're rating was too low! Waht Kantham said isn't ok, but there is a sense behind! Maybe you don't see it!
For example: Someone builds this map it has 10 brushs and the players love it! So they rate it with a 9! An other mapper build a huge map wich is looking just ****ing great but players think (for example^^ lol) the elevators are too slow, so we rate it with a 5!
Now the problem is noone will care about this "5" map coz the ugly "9" map is rated so much better! That's why I would never give a rating lower then 7 to an awesome looking map! And I won't give a higher rating then 7 to map that looks like **** even if gp is just 1337!
But that's my opinion not your's! And I don't want it to be your's!

And BTW: I will never build a map with the idea in mind to build a kick ass map for all those players! I'm doing this coz I like to build great looking things! I don't care that much about gp, just coz I don't play shooters often. Ok, I play UT nearly every day but only 10min!^^
If you want send me a floorplan and I'll build the archi around it.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
IndySkyz said:
I dont get the concept of making a map "Not for the players" it makes no sense, UT is a F****** game dude, this aint an art contest here, the idea is to make a map that has a good layout for the type of gameplay you want to achieve and then to make it look cool, if you fail on step one then step two is just a waste of your time and mine, sorry to be so brutal but if you don't map for players than you have lost the whole concept of UT!

GP is important, and gp (certainly in ut1) can be godlike, specially with a great map. And if milb wants to map just for the competition with other mappers he needs GP too, just because thats part of the competition of the making map thing. BUT GP is a very subjective thing, lots of people like different things and there are a billion different GP things out there like racing, RPG, etc..
Having skill in UT GP wont get you far most of the time, being able to make good graphics will however because thats by far more universal.
Making a popular map for servers gets you short time success. Getting hired by a company because you're so skilled with visuals lets you make stuff a million people play.
50 clans vs a million people playing your map.

And theres a big difference between an 8 hour gamer and a 1 hour gamer. They often expect different GP -> Same problem again..

Best bet in UT is to combine as many different things like GP/visuals/etc so you can try and reach a maximum sized audience..