Interest and/or help with a series of training movies?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
spineblaZe said:
Hanover, that does work. In fact, I recommend it. Here is how I boost dodge.

Stand w/ a wall on your left. Start hitting "right" and "jump" together at the same time really fast. (just mash 'em! ;) ) 99% of the time you will boost dodge.

You can also do this while holding forward. That is how you boost dodge to the 50 Shield in Asbestos.

Thanks spine, imo give it a shot tonight.

And for your entertainment:

<Hanover|BuF> but my wife is working on her MBA at night
<Hanover|BuF> and i've got the kids
<DaBeatard|afk> ahh
<Hanover|BuF> sooooo
<DaBeatard|afk> RL is more important
<Hanover|BuF> ya, she's working on an MBA and I'm trying to boost dodge
<Hanover|BuF> gg
<DaBeatard|afk> lol
<DaBeatard|afk> "hey honey, I just boost-dodged!"
<DaBeatard|afk> "aren't you proud?"

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Moving faster. Flying higher.

Renegade Retard said:
TWD - there are thousands of books written on how to lose weight. Just because someone else has done it, does that mean that someone else shouldn't do one as well?

Agreed. One thing I think any training vid should do is cater for everyone, new players and the veterans as well. There are a lot of jumps/dodges in UT2003:

jump
double jump
dodge
dodge jump
shield jump
jump -> wall dodge
double jump -> wall dodge
jump -> wall dodge -> jump
boost dodge
shield boost dodge

Learning all that takes a lot of time, so showing new players how to do them can only be a good thig, as well as giving advice on when and where to use them, and when not to use them.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
<Hanover|BuF> but my wife is working on her MBA at night
<Hanover|BuF> and i've got the kids
<DaBeatard|afk> ahh
<Hanover|BuF> sooooo
<DaBeatard|afk> RL is more important
<Hanover|BuF> ya, she's working on an MBA and I'm trying to boost dodge
<Hanover|BuF> gg
<DaBeatard|afk> lol
<DaBeatard|afk> "hey honey, I just boost-dodged!"
<DaBeatard|afk> "aren't you proud?"

Bawhahahahahaaaa!!!

Last edited:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I'm not saying you shouldn't do it I'm just saying that the idea you have RIGHT NOW isn't enough, and that I personally can't think of much else to add.

I think that if we want this to be really effective we really have to plan out EVERYTHING we want right here in the thread and have predecided format script etc before we start.

I want to edit this one...dabeatard can you help me get all the programs and tutorials I'll need?

I can do fun stuff with sound too.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
More and Faster

Scumgrief said:
Selerox gave us a good list of what could be in this video. I would add a goo jump tutorial to the list, because it's useful in at least 1 place that I know of.

Damn, knew there'd be at least one I'd end up missing :)

As has been said, it's a pretty simple thing. Just go through each jump in order (either of difficulty, or like I listed them above), and then go through a few simple points with each one:

how to perform the jump
what it's useful for
where/when it's useful
examples
where/when not to use it

The key is keeping it simple and clear. There's no need to get over-complicated with it TWD.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
You have to plan it some what. You need to decide before hand what jumps your going to discuss, and what jumps you will show. You have to have a general idea of what your going to say. Maybe not word for word but a basic outline. Otherwise you end up with crappy narration.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I am going to do that with the narration, but you kind of have to have the video laid out before you can do that. I have a 3mb sample video I'd like to show off, but I don't have any hosting.

In this thread we need to compile a FULL LISTof moves, which I will edit into my first post. This isn't limited to jump moves only...things like what I believe Selerox brought up about dodgin and then shield gunning behind your back to increase your distance works too. If you can't provide a clip, then explain precisely how to do it so someone else can make a clip or I can make one. It takes me about an hour to figure out most moves well enough that I can pull them off at will.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That's what I'm planning on. I'm hoping that each "class" will be under 20mb and preferably under 10mb. Depending on the move it should be fine. The super boost dodge clips I have from Geothermal compressed is over 3mb and it shows a few of them. I would like to do movies for the moves and then do a few short movies for the stock maps to help people get a feel for where different moves work.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
HEre we go. This is a few of the moves on Geothermal, the file is about 3.4mb, which I hope is only a little smaller than what the final product will be with narration. THANK YOU SPINEY for hosting this :)

http://gra.midco.net/thenut/sbdgeothermal.zip

Really this is just to give a rough idea of what I'm planning on...not that this is close to finished in any way :) Let me know what you think, it's compressed in DivX 5.05, enjoy!

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
If I may make some suggestions:

- Use client side captures when you show flag runs. Server side demos don't show the flag. DiM's Video shows the flag cause he used client side captures. (I know because I asked him)

- Use the Beatrice model when doing the jumps. She has the best animations of all customs i've seen. I was spectating Scumgrief last night in 3rd person and the Beatrice does Spinning Ninja kicks when dodging and when swapping weapons she twirls them like a gunslinger. It's really neat to watch.

Get the Beatrice here:

http://skincity.beyondunreal.com/sections/show_model.php?id=203

http://skincity.beyondunreal.com/?section=models&action=show_infos&id=203

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I can do those jumps in that vid about 3of5 times right now. Sometimes you mess up because you get stuck on other pipes that weren't placed right or the collision box leaves a tiny hole...

I'll get beatrice...but good gosh can't they put some clothes on her?? :p

I am planning on adding slowmotion to the video once I get a different editing program. Ulead Video Studio just won't cut it, I can tell.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
ok here is the next file...this is going to be Lesson 1 - Jumping Sounds. All that it is missing right now is some pauses for narration and the narration itself. Keep in mind that this won't be the movie that teaches the moves, this is only to help people hear the difference in sounds that are made when you do the different jumps.

Also, me "messing up alot" doing the super boost dodge was on purpose, because you can hear the multitude of different sounds that CAN be made, and the correct sound the last three times.

http://gra.midco.net/thenut/L1Sounds.zip

Kud's to Spiney again for hosting the file!!!!!!! You rock man!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
you guys still interested in this?? can you give me more ideas especially for narration?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
making a series of short videos that show and tell people how to do the different jumps and moves in ut.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
IMHO, demos are a lot better AND easier to make. You could add comments by typing messages.

I'm going to do a few on DM-Campgrounds and upload the files shortly, just demonstrate some of the specific tricks.