Intel's Conroe: AMD gets a whoopin'

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SlipStreams_65

User Titles are Useless.
Dec 29, 2005
Kingdom of boredom
At least for UT2007 theres no point in immediately declaring intel as the best processor. I doubt any of those games were coded to take advantage of 64 bit and dual core, so theres no way of knowing the true power of either processor. UT2007 will be optimized for 64 bit etc etc so a processor which is superior on current gen games may very well struggle on next gen.

SlipStreams_65

User Titles are Useless.
Dec 29, 2005
Kingdom of boredom
This is going the same way as graphics cards. No game today can really get the most out of even one graphics card and for some reason nvidia invents Sli and then Quad Sli. Point is, this technology may be incredibly powerful but so what? Ut2007 is being coded for dual core, how long is it actually going to take for mainstream games to be coded for quad core? by that time 8 core will be along and the cycle will be repeated.

Enfyrneaux

Apr 4, 2002
Later this afternoon
Visit site
SlipStreams_65 said:
Point is, this technology may be incredibly powerful but so what? Ut2007 is being coded for dual core, how long is it actually going to take for mainstream games to be coded for quad core? by that time 8 core will be along and the cycle will be repeated.
Enter n-core software design?

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Thats because no single program really uses a quad core to its limits, however it will kick ass when it comes to multitasking atm.
By the time they are commonplace there will be software that uses them, just like with 64bit.

This is Intel on 65nm remember, AMD is still on 90nm.
Remember the boost AMD got from transfering to 90nm first, this time it is the other way around, but I doubt AMD don't have anything to come back at this with, atleast to close down the performance gap.

I'd like to see some completely independant benchmarks though.

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
I was looking at going SLI a year ago. I'm glad I didn't do it at the time. It's nice for the epeen, but there's nothing out there that will put it to good use. By the time something comes out, it'll be cheaper too :)

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I thought their dual-core implementation was less than impressive? How can quad-core be better?

AMD has been trumping them since the whole 32-64bit transition. I don't see how making a quad-core chip is going to do the same. Especially when AMD is gonna fire back with their offering soon.

It's like MS and the 360. They thought they were gonna corner the market by getting out the door first. And we all know how well that's turning out.

pwnghetti & leetballs said:
I'm sure AMD will close the performance gap with their next processors. Not to mention being uber cheap compared to Intel. Still though. Quad core? That's impressive.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
With the initial AM2 chips, AMD are not going to be significantly quicker than they are at the moment.
TomsHardware said:
The Socket AM2 generation is certainly not going to outperform comparable Socket 939 (DDR400) processors at DDR2-667 memory speeds-see our benchmarks. This is why AMD decided to wait for DDR2-800 and launch in June.
And even fasterDD42-800 isn't going to change that processer from one that (according to Anandtech) is going to be slower than Intels new offering.

The only disadvantage I can think of with these chips is that afaik they are still using a front bus and an offboard memory controller, (correct me if I am incorrect)

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
The_Head said:
The only disadvantage I can think of with these chips is that afaik they are still using a front bus and an offboard memory controller, (correct me if I am incorrect)

They threw enough cache at it so that it doesn't matter... until they go quad core.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
Cache doesnt change the fact that it can't transfer data as quick as Hypertransport can.
The cache is only in the processer.

It will help, but as prooved by AMD's current gen, even the top of the range chips don't need more than 1mb per core.