Intel's Conroe: AMD gets a whoopin'

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
The_Head said:
Cache doesnt change the fact that it can't transfer data as quick as Hypertransport can.
The cache is only in the processer.

It will help, but as prooved by AMD's current gen, even the top of the range chips don't need more than 1mb per core.

I believe Intel also went with more, shorter staged pipes as well.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
ZenPirate said:
I believe Intel also went with more, shorter staged pipes as well.
Yes, hence the more done per clock.

The Lowdown:

AMD64:
low clockspeed
Short pipelines
comparievely small cache
Hypertransport

Old Intel (ala P4):
high clockspeed
huge long pipelines
large cache
slow bus

New Intel (Pentium M + Conroe)
Low clockspeed
high cache
Short pipelines
faster bus, but still not as good as Hypertransport.

I'm still expecting AMD to seriously ramp up clockspeeds when Conroe comes out and suddenly piss in Intels Coffee (metaphorically speaking)

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
So what ?
There is no software available (for 'normal' users) that is multi-thread aware to the point of it being significantly faster on dual-core cpu's (regardless of it being AMD or Intel).
There's even less that can handle quad-core ...

Note that more cores also means more problems managing multiple processes. It's not exactly 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 4.
It's more like 1 + 1 = 1.5 and 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 2.5 if you're lucky.

Altough there's a small chance that games will support it since UE3 will be able to use that advantage ... it'll be a while before there's enough games out there to make that update worth the money.

And seriously ... when was the last time the average user needed something heavier than MS Word or Outlook ?
Heck ... I'd say the only reason anyone is going to 'need' this much power is because Vista won't run otherwise. And that's kind of stupid, don't you think ?

Last edited:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
There are many benefits from Multi-core processers.
Whilst there is not a huge amount of software that actively makes use of both cores (I know 7z is multithreaded, and compressing is a huge amount faster than on my old single core chip) multitasking brings these chips into there own.

I would love to see someone with a pure single core (hence excluding P4 Hyperthreading) try to easily cope with general computer use whilst running a virus scan or anything else cpu intensive, guaranteed. Also try playing a fairly old game (just to give it a chance) ie UT99, whilst converting MP3's to WMA's.
Once quadcore comes along this will occur even more, cores sharing out processes between them.
Handling multiple processes is not as complex as you seem to think, the process is just given to the least active core.... that was complicated wasn't it ;)

btw, I am writing this message whilst doing a full system virus scan with AVG plus a spyware scan with Adaware. Meanwhile my computer is still pretty resposive considering both cores are under constant use, my music isn't even stuttering ;)
oh and ps, all the affintys are set automatically ;)

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
See ... that's the problem right there.
You're creating a solution for a problem that doesn't exist to begin with.

UT'99 ? Any single-core cpu worth a damn can easily handle that game and remain responsive. And even if you must convert + play UT'99 ... that old pc that used to run UT'99 can do so again, while your new pc does the conversion. You're making it sound like you have to do daily conversions (never mind that converting mp3 to WMA is bloody useless and can be done on-the-fly by any semi-decent cpu).

Virus-scan ? It's not something you *need* to do while working (let it run at night if you must). And there's the added benifit of not accidentaly spreading viruses or starting an infected application ...

Faster ? Sure ...
More responsive ? oh ... but wouldn't your computer be even more responsive if you stick to doing a single task at once ?

Worth the expenses ? Seriously doubt it.

I guess I'm too used to DOS

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
I'm sure it's more a case of justifying the expense to the wife/husband/guilty conscience/<insert your own choice>/etc. afterwards ;)

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
The_Head said:
:lol:

I guess its just a case of whether you have used one or not.
I know myself, I could never go back to a single core processer, and I am sure I a mnot the only one in this situation.

Having just moved to dual core AMD myself, I must agree. *everything* is more responsive. It's really something you have to experience for yourself to appreciate.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
BobCobb said:
Shutup guys, I'm stuck in single core land with JaFo. My e-penis shrinks every day.

It will continue to shrink until it reaches negative length and starts to implode. A 'black hole' of sorts will form sucking in all form of matter around your crotch area.

You better upgrade quick man.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
MrSmiles said:
give it a year or so and it'll be somewhat affordable

or take out a bank loan

To whoever belive in that stupid stuff. Who say they will not come with a E-Penis technology, procecors 16 times faster than the current dual core procecor using all different kind of stuff. ;)

Actually, yeah, im on my cloud right now. But who cares about the Quad SILLY.