I see a problem in the community...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
The big deal is,on those sniper maps,is so,they can be big,so,they can be plane looking,but people should at least make a map that looks25% good at a min.
Not that it's any one gaming map,lets say you make a awsome ultra detailed level packed with stuff and mega geometry,but it could be a crappy level sniper or regular.
But a lot of those sniper maps are so plane and even textures are all yucky,lighting,and geometry,hell anyone could make those maps.
Wich for me I don't need any eyecandy in a map,but some of those high scored funky maps are really bad levels.

And that CTF-serisismos or what ever it's called,for ut2004,is another 1.5,sure it has stuff,cool water stuff etc etc,but the framerate is fried,but people are posting 9's and 10's .Thats just as bad as the other plane maps ratings.
That sniper redeemer map is only a 1.5 tops,no 2 ways about it.

So the people who rate on looks,are stupider than the ones rating on gameplay with no good looking stuff.Because it's a game,not a mapping contest,an unplayable map is just that,unplayable.

Last edited:

ArcadiaVincennes

Level Designer
May 20, 2004
Joisee
www.avld.org
ReD_Fist said:
And that CTF-serisismos or what ever it's called,for ut2004,is another 1.5,sure it has stuff,cool water stuff etc etc,but the framerate is fried,but people are posting 9's and 10's .Thats just as bad as the other plane maps ratings.
That sniper redeemer map is only a 1.5 tops,no 2 ways about it.

I agree and disagree with you on this. IMO, a fair number of people rate with only 1 or 2 perspectives in mind. Therefore to a non sniper player a sniper map gets a 1.0 - even if it was built perfectly. A perfect build score would at least give the map a 3. On the other end you have CTF-Seriramis (or whatever the mapname is. As you say 1.5 because of the fried framerate. I played another map the author made and I'm confident that the map as a whole is greater than 1.5 even though I've not yet played it. Would you score it a 1.5 simply on framerate alone? What if it had perfect build, perfect visuals, and perfect gameplay minus the FPS? That would be 3 for build, 3 for awe, and maybe 2.0 or 2.5 for perfect gameplay minus a few points for the FPS issue. That's a whole lot more than 1.5 for a final score.
I don't except users to score it according to NaliCity reviewer standards, but I think that people scoring a map on only gameplay or only visuals is rediculous.
I agree with you that sniper lovers posting a 9 or 10 on DM-SniperRedeemer heaven really shouldn't be done. It may have perfect sniper gameplay but the visuals are awful. Why can't they take that into account? Same goes in reverse. Hypothetically, what if a map looks absolutely amazing? But has no gameplay? That doesn't deserve a 1.0, nor does it deserve a 9.0.
IMO a fair number of people in general only score according to 1 or 2 aspects that they feel are the most important. And that's why we get such wacked scores sometimes.
It's too bad some people don't think a little harder when scoring a map. I'm not saying they should debate themselves about it for an hour, but I think a little more open-mindedness is not an unfair thing to ask for.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Well basicaly the FPS trumps all,to try and play,like a bad ping.
So i still say 1.5 or even zero for that matter.

And yes people should consider of what went into the map to make it,as well as the gameplay,but like I said steady and good FPS will outdo all other aspects.
Even a missing file because you can probably get a missing file,or bsp holes,if it runs too slow it's unplayable.

If it makes anyone feel better...

I just got my admin powers to police the comment sections for Nali City since I check them pretty daily. I'll keep an eye out. So that's one more admin that is gonna kick your lame balls if you post something stupid.

I'm just sick of seeing you all bitch like teenage girls.

So if I miss something, Kantham or Red Fist or Swanky or whoever thinks they have a badge to call others out, pm me or Hourences.

Swanky

Natural Born Killer - Yoshi!
Jan 29, 2004
Germany
www.swankl.de.vu
I agree with both of you, Arcadia and RedFist. A nice looking map is always appreciated, but if it runs lame, well, I mostly substract one or one and a half points cause my PC is so damned old and I can't make anyone responsible for it, as well as I can't check fps on new rigs to see if they really lame. I normally delete the map then from my HD, cause an unplayable map won't be played. I don't blame anyone for it. :)

@ Mr Proph: Congrats! I'm sure to remember you if it comes to a thing that needs to be reported. ;)

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
I dunno about a badge heh,but there is some silly stuff and strange users,including me hehe.............
Plus I am trying to get a few well known mappers to send thier maps again here,we will see.
I hope they do,it will be a suprise.

Last edited: