I need a PSU for my new 9500 GT

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
Okay, so I bought a 9500 GT online and it just arrived today. I haven't installed it though because I have a very weak PSU (only 250W and 14A on the +12V) and I was wondering what kind of PSU I need. I know I need a minimum 300W PSU with 18A on the +12V rail, but I don't know what kind of connectors I need for the card.

I looked around for a decent PSU, but I realized I'm terrible with figuring out what kind of PSU I need. Can anyone help me?

Oh, and I've actually tried figuring out if I could install the card with my current PSU. I entered the specs for my computer on the eXtreme PSU calculator 2.5, and this is what I got:

System Type: 1 physical CPU
Motherboard: Regular - Desktop
CPU (not overclocked): Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2220 2400 MHz Allendale
CPU Utilization (TDP): 90% TDP

RAM: 2 Sticks PC66/PC100 SDRAM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Video Type: Single Card

IDE HDD 7200 rpm: 1 HDD (250 GB 7200 rpm SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec))

DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 1 Drive

USB: 1 Device (the dongle for my wireless mouse goes here)

Fans (Regular): 1 Fan 80mm; 1 Fan 120mm;

Keyboard and mouse:Yes

System Load: 90 %

Recommended Wattage: 198 Watts

According to this, I could install the 9500 GT without requiring any extra power. But I don't want to take a chance without being fully educated about this first. Do you think if I actually installed the video card right now that it would fry my whole system?

EDIT: And can anyone tell me what the hell this is? It looks like a laptop/notebook PSU, but last I checked, you can't install video cards in laptops, much less have SLI/Crossfire. So why is it SLI and Crossfire capable?

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Does the MB take 20-pins for power or 24-pins for power? If only 20, then you need to find a 20+4 pin PSU. If not, then your choices increase and you can get a 24-pin PSU. I'd recommend Enermax, PCP&C, Silverstone, Seasonic, OCZ and possibly Corsair or Thermaltake as well. Others can recommend other brands. That reminds me, I still need to change out the PSU in my old computer.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
I think my motherboard takes 24-pin, but I can't be sure since there's a 20-pin connector sitting there with four holes left open, so maybe I'll just get a 20+4-pin just in case.

And what about this little white thing on the top of the 9500? What kind of connector do I need for it?

Attachments

• wtfisthis.jpg
    wtfisthis.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
It is a connector. It has pins inside and looks a bit like the connector on the main board that the cord from the fan connects to. It's also present on other models of cards, but not the XFX one. EDIT: Pfft, okay, never mind, it's a connector for SLI. Since I won't be using SLI, I guess I won't need a PSU with PCIE connectors after all. Oh well.

Also, I verified the power that I need using a different calculator, and it turns out I need well over 290W for the PSU to handle all the other components of the computer with the video card installed. I found a fairly affordable 400W PSU ($55! Score!) from Corsair with five stars and 370+ reviews. And it has the cords I need, so that's the one I'll be getting.

Last edited:

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
There's so much wrong info in this thread it's almost funny. You really need to brush up on your google-foo, kid if you think you're running PC66/100 ram & that an SLi bridge looks like that.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
A thread with two skaarjs talking to each other. ;)

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
There's so much wrong info in this thread it's almost funny. You really need to brush up on your google-foo, kid if you think you're running PC66/100 ram & that an SLi bridge looks like that.

Then why don't you tell me what that thing is, smart guy? I'm asking what PSU I need for a 9500 GT and you're expecting me to know what the hell an inconspicuous white connector is for. If it's not for SLI (which the 9500 GT is capable of), then what is it?

And I know I don't have PC66/100 RAM. It was the only option there.

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
Then why don't you tell me what that thing is, smart guy?

Because, after that last pathetic thread where you had a hissy fit because no one had answered your question fast enough for you, you'd have to be fecking certifiable to think I'd help you out in any way, shape or form.

Did you try Google or even rtfm?

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
It didn't even come with a fm.

And you're still going on about that? Listen, I came here for help, and all you're doing is spamming. If you won't bother to help me, gtfo and stop spamming my thread.

Last edited:

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
Oh, sorry for the double post, but I forgot to mention something. I actually attempted to use an old 431W PSU that my brother used in his old, now broken computer. I installed it, and after a few minor setbacks, the computer started up. It seemed to be working perfectly fine. So I shut the computer down and promptly began installing the video card. Once I finished, however, I was really nervous. And rightly so. When the computer stared up, after about 2 minutes, the screen went blank and most of the computer turned off save for the power button light and a single fan. I shut that s**t down, removed the old PSU and the video card, put the card back in its box, and reinstalled my 250W PSU. Luckily, the rest of the computer was unharmed, which only means the the video card survived too. I'm never going with spare power supplies again unless I KNOW they'll work :X. Oh well, lesson learned. It was my dad's idea anyway >.>

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
Good call, it was Enermax. Normally they're a good brand according to you, but the thing was at least 10 years old, so honestly I wasn't surprised when it flipped out. It might work if I use one of the other set of connectors (there's three sets, allowing for three HDDs and Disk drives, even though my case + MB only support 2), but I think it'll be better and safer if I bought a new one.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Yup, that's definitely not an SLI connector. Like Deathmaker I actually doubt you have "PC66/PC100" SDRAM on a board that supports a (more or less) recent Intel dual core CPU. RAM that old would never be anywhere near adequate for that CPU or your new graphics card. I recommend using a toold such as SiSoftware Sandra to verify your information on what hardware you have. That certainly affects the choice of PSU.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
Ahh, ok, for some reason I was assuming that maybe it was an older version of the SLI connector. Guess not.

Oh well, thanks guys. I know more about computers now (which will actually help me with my senior project, too. Sweet)