1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

I need a little guidance on getting utxmp

Discussion in 'General UTXMP Discussion' started by DKY, May 2, 2005.

1. pistos

pistos New Member

The easiest way to find U2XMP servers these days is to install xFire on your machine. Go to http://xfire.com

Edit: Whoops. I didn't see andrelax's closing comment before I posted mine.

Last edited: May 17, 2005
  2. DKY

DKY New Member

I just got ut2004 and am trying to install utxmp_publicbeta1_full_ins.exe (first question is, is that the right file?) when trying to install it I get this error. 'Cannot install file "C:\UT2004\UTXMP\UT2K4MOD.ini"'. Am I doing something wrong here? I just wanna play UTXMP

3. IndianPsycho

IndianPsycho Registered user

That's the right file. Are you sure you have read/write permissions?

4. DKY

DKY New Member

hmmm, I don't know. Why wouldnt I? Here's my setup. I'm on Windows 2000 Professional. Is there a way to change read/write settings? I don't get it, help?

5. DKY

DKY New Member

Am I supposed to use the utxmp_publicbeta1a_patch_ins.exe instead?

6. IndianPsycho

Only if you have the full install. That file is just the 1A patch. You could try downloading the zip version of the install and unzip it into your UT2004 directory.

Last edited: May 18, 2005
  7. DKY

DKY New Member

do you have a link for the zip version?

8. IndianPsycho

Sure.

EDIT: After unzipping that into your UT2004 installation directory, create a new shortcut to UT2004.exe and place it wherever. Rightclick on the short cut, click Properties. In the window that pops up find the 'Target' field on the 'Shortcut' tab, and append "-mod=UTXMP" (without the quotes) to it. Running UT2004 via that shortcut will then start UTXMP.

For example, my 'Target' field reads

Code:
    D:\Games\UT2004\System\UT2004.exe -mod=UTXMP

EDIT2: Make sure your UT2004 version is 3339 (the latest).
    After installing UTXMP, don't forget to patch UTXMP to 1a.

9. T-Shinzon

T-Shinzon New Member

Unreal II is ~$3-6.
    UT2004 is ~$20.

Anyhow the reason that most of the better players are playing U2XMP rather than UTXMP is because the gameplay in UTXMP is different enough to prevent those people from being as good. Also the current bugs lower the standard of being "good" at fragging to simply aim and turret spamming, rather than the tactile movement system of U2XMP and the balance achieved by deployables. Just in case you wanted to know "in a nutshell."

I got UT2004 just because UT2004 is a great well-made game; it's well worth getting UT2K4 just for UT2K4. Consider UT:XMP as a bonus. :)

Also, you can run UT2004 mods by running UT2004, going to the "Community" menu, selecting the mod section, and then selecting UTXMP and hitting "Run" or whatever. Takes more time than the edit .exe way though.

10. KillaALF

KillaALF New Member

True. The main reason why I still rather play U2XMP than UTXMP is the movement. U2 just feels fluid and graceful while UT feels, hmm, borked. I'm having a hard time doing simple dodges for example, especially right after you land after a jump. There's always this slight pause which feels like I'm in some kind of old stop-motion movie and which totally kills my immersion. A pity, really, because other than that, FMI nailed it pretty good, IMO. Yep, there's numerous bugs still in the previous build, but from the changelog, a lot of those have been quashed, so I'm having high hopes for the next patch.

.. and don't get me started on the vehicles, the raptor especially - that thing is nigh indestructable, gah!

11. DKY

DKY New Member

hahahaa, hey my buddy wants to know what's needed exactly to install u2xmp and I don't remember. Anyone know and or have any links? I'm assuming one would need unreal tournament 2003?

12. dutch_gecko

dutch_gecko Think Pink

Nope, its Unreal 2 you need. There are also certain "patches" on the internet that might mean you don't need a cd at all :mwink:
    edit: If you're after more info on u2xmp, pop on over to it's forums here

Last edited: May 19, 2005
  13. DKY

DKY New Member

okay, thanks

14. ...andrelax

...andrelax SkyBum

alternatively you can just drop a complete u2xmp installation from one machine to another. their antipiracy is as good as their anti cheat (and their product support for that matter)
    unreal2 is a good game anyway i reckon - i enjoyed it at least. it's just a fps game but was pretty and imaginative.

15. DKY

DKY New Member

anyone know of a no-cd hack for ut2004 version 3339?

16. KillaALF

KillaALF New Member

What for? There hasn't been a CD-check in UT2k4 in a long time, might have even been so since its release.

17. GotBeer?

GotBeer? The nozzle is now calibrating

I think it's against the rules here to talk about hacks - watch yerself. Also, I'm pretty sure UT2K4 does do a cd check, at least if you're playing online.

18. ...andrelax

...andrelax SkyBum

no there's no cd/dvd check -for mine at least (it was the dvd version)- but you need the code to play online. That's what you're really buying.

19. IndianPsycho

The cd-check was patched out early.

20. GotBeer?

GotBeer? The nozzle is now calibrating

OK, I must be thinking about the code/cd-key.