1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

I need a little guidance on getting utxmp

Discussion in 'General UTXMP Discussion' started by DKY, May 2, 2005.

1. DKY

DKY New Member

I noticed on the site that you have to have Unreal Tournament 2004 in order to run utxmp. Which one do I get though? I'm running Win. 2000 and it seems that just plain old Unreal Tournament 2004 doest run under Win 2000. Is that correct? or am I reading this wrong at amazon? Do I have to get Unreal Tournament 2004 - Editor's Choice in order to have it work on win 2000?

2. Gnome

Gnome The Gnome that knows

It'll run fine under 2000. The ECE version just comes with the ECE bonus pack prepackaged, plus a DVD full of other mods. Get whichever version is more conveinent to you, as the ECE and all the mods are free to download anyway.

3. DKY

DKY New Member

What's ECE? and do I need that to play UTXMP?...........nevermind, its late... strike this comment

4. DKY

DKY New Member

I know what I was trying to ask, do I need the bonus pack to play UTXMP?

5. PRG

PRG XMP Beta Tester

YES, you need the ECE bonus pack, which may or not come with your store bought version of UT2k4, but is a free download if it's missing.

6. ...andrelax

...andrelax SkyBum

7. RaptoR

RaptoR been here far too long

No, you don't need ECE to play UTXMP. You do however need the latest UT2004 patch.

8. ...andrelax

...andrelax SkyBum

indeed, my install is ut2004, patch, utxmp. no other addons or bonus packs at all; works fine.
    i only got ut2004 for utxmp anyway
    whynot have a go at u2xmp in the mean time

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  9. DKY

DKY New Member

Does anyone play utxmp anymore or is u2xmp the game?

10. pistos

pistos New Member

The answer to that question will depend on who answers your question and also how you define "play".

Regarding "playing" the game, I am such a bad player that some would consider what I do is butcher the game and just get in the ways of the real players. "Sorry." :)

There are definitely people who play UTXMP, including myself. However, it seems to be a bit hard to get a game going sometimes. I have found though, that if I go into a server, like BBF, and start playing, there is almost always some more players that will join up within 5 to 10 minutes. Just the other day, for example, I looked at the list of servers and they were all empty. I went ahead and started messing around in the map on the BBF server. Within 2 minutes, literally, another player showed up. Then, within 10 more minutes there was 8 players, and we had some great games.

I think some people may be waiting it out for the next patch to come too.

Some might say that the only "game" is U2XMP. I like them both and try to "play" them both.

11. DKY

DKY New Member

what's the difference. I played xmp before with the last unreal and I expect utxmp to be the same, right?

12. pistos

pistos New Member

They are basically the same game. But UTXMP is a work in progress, so it has stuff that needs to be completed, modified, tweaked, corrected, etc. It is a solid game the way it is right now, but it is not "complete."

Refer to the thread in this forum titled, "Yahoo IM handles for those wishing to meet in game" to get the names of guys playing. Install xfire, and add some of the names listed there, and then you will be able to jump into some games.

13. DKY

DKY New Member

I understand that if you have UT2004 then the d/l for UTXMP is free. Is it the same for U2XMP?

14. pistos

pistos New Member

Sort of. You need to have Unreal2 in order to install U2XMP. U2XMP is a free download. But it will not install onto your computer unless you have the play disk for Unreal2 in your CD drive the first time. Once it is installed and patched, then the play disk for Unreal2 is no longer necessary to play it.

15. dutch_gecko

dutch_gecko Think Pink

There are, of course, ways around the cd problem... :mwink:

16. ...andrelax

...andrelax SkyBum

yes... er... quite easy ones actually. u2xmp is still played a lot and is very easy to install.

17. DKY

DKY New Member

u2xmp is still played a lot? where? the only server i see played a lot is that RGB one.

18. Towanda

Towanda New Member

There are quite a few more servers, talonservers run two that usually are populated and then a few others i dont remember the name of. But they are in my serverlist :)

19. DKY

DKY New Member

So how do i find those servers?

20. ...andrelax

...andrelax SkyBum