1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hmmmmmmm......

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by gregori, Oct 19, 2008.

1. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

2. N1ghtmare

N1ghtmare Sweet Dreams

Well maybe they should had advertised UT3 more.

3. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

More advertising and leaving Epic enough time to actually finish the game. Great combination for getting people's good money. Too bad publishers constantly forget about this simple formula.

4. dub

dub

That would be this front page story, no?

After reading that GS article, I'd still say it's UT going. (as I mentioned in the mainpage news post)
    Sucks, they couldn't confirm or deny.

I did think that this:
    "Unreal Tournament 3 has sold a respectable 476,000 units domestically on all platforms combined" was quite interesting info. First time we have really heard anything about sales figures really.

5. Capt.Toilet

Capt.Toilet Good news everyone!

Jesus compared to past games this is abysmal. So that would mean each platform sold around 160,000 copies. Yeah good job.

6. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

Oh well, sorry didn't see on front page ~ haven't been around here for a while :D

I don't think Midway has been fantastic for the series, so it could be a good thing.

7. Peregrine

Peregrine Death from above

If that 476K number is true, and let's just miltiply that by $40 (probably a low average) = $1.9 Million. Yes, of course I know that is NOT a ton of money for a game 2 years in development, but considered a failure? Really?

8. Kyllian

Kyllian if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;

Or better yet, at all

9. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

This isn't true. The PS3 version alone sold over a million units, so this is likely actually just the PC version.

10. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

Concurred. That'd place total sales at around 1.5 million just on those versions alone, not even counting sales of the 360 version.

The game's probably sold about as well as the previous 3 UTs have - at around the two million copies mark across all platforms. Would you call any of those games failures?

Also, keep in mind none of those sales figure in electronic distributions, like Steam, Direct2Drive, etc.

11. dub

dub

So that'll be for the US, I would guess.

Source? :eek:
    It's deffenately not that, because it does specifically say "on all platforms combined."

12. Sir_Brizz

However, that text is not a quote, it's editorial from Gamespot. What is their source?

13. dub

dub

Sneaky. Answer a question with a question. You're not in politics, per chance? :biggrin2:

14. Sir_Brizz

I'm just saying :) I can't back my number with an actual source, but I have heard from Epic employees that UT3 sold just as well across all three platforms as previous UTs have across all platforms (I'm not sure how that translates to UT2003/UT2004 that didn't have console versions, but UT did and those were counted). So where does Gamespot's number come from? NPD? If so, we all already know the problems with NPDs number reporting.

15. JohnDoe641

JohnDoe641 Killer Fools Pro Staff Member

Indeed.

Maybe if that happened the game wouldn't be a buggy pos like it is after three patches. :p

16. Goofy

Goofy Pluto's my bitch...

Isn't 476,000 x 40 = 19,040,000 ?

Just testing my calculator to see if it was broken...

17. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

Peregrine's is. :p

18. Peregrine

Peregrine Death from above

Hmmm. Apparently the calc on my laptop is busted cuz I got the right number on my desktop. You are, indeed, correct.

Ok, so now I SERIOUSLY doubt the game would be considered a failure if it made 19 MILLION. Hell, let's get mega-super-ultra-conservative and say it only made 15 million. That would be a success, financially. I am one of those folks that figure there will be no more UT's.... but after adjusting my math. 15-19 million? Maybe there will be another...

19. kafros

kafros F1 manta tryouts

This year's Nobel price in Math posted in BU!!!!

20. kafros

kafros F1 manta tryouts

Peregrine's number is the correct one.

You have to multiply the units sold with the number of pirates, then divide with the number of ninjas to the power of laser yielding zombies.