hmmmmmmm......

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
More advertising and leaving Epic enough time to actually finish the game. Great combination for getting people's good money. Too bad publishers constantly forget about this simple formula.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
That would be this front page story, no?

After reading that GS article, I'd still say it's UT going. (as I mentioned in the mainpage news post)
Sucks, they couldn't confirm or deny.

I did think that this:
"Unreal Tournament 3 has sold a respectable 476,000 units domestically on all platforms combined" was quite interesting info. First time we have really heard anything about sales figures really.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Although Unreal Tournament 3 has sold a respectable 476,000 units domestically on all platforms combined,

Jesus compared to past games this is abysmal. So that would mean each platform sold around 160,000 copies. Yeah good job.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Jesus compared to past games this is abysmal. So that would mean each platform sold around 160,000 copies. Yeah good job.
This isn't true. The PS3 version alone sold over a million units, so this is likely actually just the PC version.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
This isn't true. The PS3 version alone sold over a million units, so this is likely actually just the PC version.
Concurred. That'd place total sales at around 1.5 million just on those versions alone, not even counting sales of the 360 version.

The game's probably sold about as well as the previous 3 UTs have - at around the two million copies mark across all platforms. Would you call any of those games failures?

Also, keep in mind none of those sales figure in electronic distributions, like Steam, Direct2Drive, etc.

dub

Feb 12, 2002

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's deffenately not that, because it does specifically say "on all platforms combined."
However, that text is not a quote, it's editorial from Gamespot. What is their source?

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Sneaky. Answer a question with a question. You're not in politics, per chance? :biggrin2:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm just saying :) I can't back my number with an actual source, but I have heard from Epic employees that UT3 sold just as well across all three platforms as previous UTs have across all platforms (I'm not sure how that translates to UT2003/UT2004 that didn't have console versions, but UT did and those were counted). So where does Gamespot's number come from? NPD? If so, we all already know the problems with NPDs number reporting.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
More advertising and leaving Epic enough time to actually finish the game. Great combination for getting people's good money. Too bad publishers constantly forget about this simple formula.
Indeed.

Maybe if that happened the game wouldn't be a buggy pos like it is after three patches. :p

Goofy

Pluto's my bitch...
Jan 23, 2008
Smallest state in the Union
If that 476K number is true, and let's just miltiply that by $40 (probably a low average) = $1.9 Million. Yes, of course I know that is NOT a ton of money for a game 2 years in development, but considered a failure? Really?

Isn't 476,000 x 40 = 19,040,000 ?

Just testing my calculator to see if it was broken...

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
Hmmm. Apparently the calc on my laptop is busted cuz I got the right number on my desktop. You are, indeed, correct.

Ok, so now I SERIOUSLY doubt the game would be considered a failure if it made 19 MILLION. Hell, let's get mega-super-ultra-conservative and say it only made 15 million. That would be a success, financially. I am one of those folks that figure there will be no more UT's.... but after adjusting my math. 15-19 million? Maybe there will be another...