HL2 delayed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
I would suspect that the majority of the delay has to do with Steam.

Courtesy of Gabe from Penny Arcade, on Sept. 15th, 2003:

I've heard people complain that Valve's Steam won't allow them to play their games on a LAN, which I suppose is a real issue for some people. I guess they're working on a solution to that, but they can take their time as far as I'm concerned - the LANs I go to have Net access, I wasn't aware that was such a luxury. My problem with Steam is that up until Yesterday, it didn't fucking work. So if we're rating these problems on severity, I win.

Any time I get a chance to, I extol the virtues of digital content delivery. What I'd like to do is allay your fears about Steam so you'll agree with me, and then I'll be right, but I could not do that with a straight face. What Valve's recent Steam launch proves is that the concept works great, as long as nobody wants what you're delivering. It was in every way reminiscent of the Chernobyls that accompany the release of an MMO, except that Massively Multiplayer games aren't gong to try and squeeze out a gig to each player. Massively Multiplayer games also don't start out with this kind of inherent userbase. Despite their best efforts, I don't think it could have gone well - Valve is yoked to the largest action playerbase in the world. Two points:

1. Local Content Migration was fucked up the ass.

I thought this was a brilliant concept when I heard about it, because if it had worked I'd imagine things would have gone a lot smoother. People who download Steam aren't exactly indifferent to the Half-Life engine or the mods that sustain it. It is a fair bet that a huge percentage - if not all - of the people who use Steam have Half-Life plus mods somewhere on one of their hard disks. What the content migration facility was supposed to do was take those files you already had and transfer them directly into Steam. That means people don't have to download a gig apiece from beleaguered servers on the first day, which were already in the throes of a data apocalypse. What percentage of that impenetrable load the first two days was due to failed migrations, I couldn't tell you - but I do have the trick from the FAQ I used to get going. Inside your Steam folder, there's a folder called SteamApps, and inside SteamApps there should be a folder named whatever your e-mail address is. If you make a folder inside that folder called "Half-Life" and copy (or install) mods straight in there, they'll show up in Steam under "Third Party Games" and you'll be ready to go. I was just going to link to their FAQ, but their site is broken right now, which I appreciate because it basically vindicates my whole ****. You can see now that they put up a new installer that includes Counter-Strike 1.6, instead of having to get it through them. It was a good idea, even if it does establish their culpability in these failures.

Maybe Content Migration worked just fine for some people, but it didn't work on either of my machines. And every machine it didn't work on represents more load on a system already trying to cope with distributing the most popular game in the world.

2. It doesn't make any difference why it was fucked up.

It just doesn't. That's not the future of content delivery, it's the future of fucking pissing me off. I can't be the only one who was using the Steam launch to determine how my Half-Life 2 install would go when I bought it through their service, and it seems fair to assume that HL2 is going to be a damn sight larger than Counter-Strike. Oh, I'll still try to get it online, because I am stupid and I think that each day will be brighter than the last. My only comfort in this matter is that enough people will be scared off by either this experience or an overall distaste for electronic delivery that I'll be able to get my stuff. Now that's confidence.

I had all these Half-Baked theories about how Valve would still deliver HL2 on the thirtieth as claimed, because it would be a Steam only release that didn't necessarily have to jibe with the release dates we were seeing from retail chains, with Team Fortress 2 as an incentive... I don't know why I invested my mind in creating excuses for them, but they need to start communicating with gamers about when and why things are happening.

The whole 'must be connected to the internet to play' thing, imho, is complete trash. Half of the lan party locations I play at doesn't have massive internet access. And even those who do, when people go to buy/install HL for the first time at the party, they're going to swamp the download capabilities of the connection that they're all sharing. The only thing it's going to do is piss people off at Valve for not releasing a game that can be played in a convenient mannar. They even suggest, in their official "steam FAQ" that for big lan parties, people come with their games already updated. Seriously, what fucking universe are you in? NO one comes to lan parties with everything updated, let alone installed. It's like a bunch of these idiots at valve sat down and thought, "Hmm, what's the biggest, easiest way to frag off our loyal lan party loving people? Oh yeah! Fuck them up the ass for trying to play it on a LAN" ... which is their biggest segment of players, imho. I only play it at lan parties...hardly never anytime else.

</rant>

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
fist_mlrs said:
...while you see quite a few humans in the hl2 footage i fear what's a nice firefight in the international version will become the ultimate headbanging contest in the nicified german version ...

:lol: :lol:
Ah ah ah, please make it stop, too much laughter :lol:

There's always the option to order on the internet, isn't it so ?

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
well, yes... but i'd have to send a copy of my passport to the seller to prove my age, otherwise it would be illegal for him to sell the game to me. and hardly any internet shop is willing to do this.

the other point is that i don't think this is nessecary. i understand i had to prove my age when i ordered my crossbow, but this is a ****ing videogame...

Feb 26, 2001
England
I would guess Valve had a chance to get it out for the 30th, and kept pushing for it until the last moment when they finally realised it was impossible. Either that or the Steam theory.

Spier

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
fist_mlrs said:
well, yes... but i'd have to send a copy of my passport to the seller to prove my age, otherwise it would be illegal for him to sell the game to me. and hardly any internet shop is willing to do this.

the other point is that i don't think this is nessecary. i understand i had to prove my age when i ordered my crossbow, but this is a ****ing videogame...
Just buy the German version, you can then LEGALLY download a copy from the internet.

Or you can try Steam... :lol: