GPU (8800GT) failed?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GGA_Nate

I train people, not dogs.
Jan 20, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
www.myspace.com
Mine failed after only about a year and a half of service. I was playing Oblivion and the computer blue screened on me. When I restarted, I got only a corrupted black boot screen. Windows wouldn't boot up. It really sucked. So I blew my money on a Geforce GTS 250, seeing how my computer isn't top of the line any more and I couldn't justify spending more on a GPU. Thanks to console gaming and the inevitable slowing the the progression of graphical progress, I think I'll be ok for a year or two at least.

Rask

Aug 15, 2004
Finland
www.rdegree.net
I've had a (factory clocked) XFX Geforce 8800GT Alpha Dog edition since december 2007, and it's still going strong.

Be sure to keep it clean and cool! ;)

Tomorrow I'm going to order a new card if my replacement hasn't arrived. Will post when I know what happens.

Another question: is aftermarket GPU cooling anywhere near worth the money if I'm not going to overclock my card?

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I believe these days you should be OK as long as your case has good air flow. My 2004-build system has an aftermarket cooler, but my 2009-build system does not; of course, they are both full towers or close to it with plenty of cooling, so I never expected any problems. Also, a good idea would do a quick internet search for the card you want and see if others are having cooling problems with it.

Rask

Aug 15, 2004
Finland
www.rdegree.net
Well what do you know, the supplier who sends GPUs all across most stores in Finland has tun out of the better quality cards. Some odd good cards here and there but nothing for my needs and budget.

The shopkeeper told me to revisit within two weeks to see whether they've got something in storage. God damnit. :D

Rask

Aug 15, 2004
Finland
www.rdegree.net
Hell yeah, replacement arrived. Not the same card, but overall same specs. A MSI NX8800GT OC. Biggest difference being 1GB of memory when compared to the XFX 512MB. Fillrates and pixel clocks are a bit lower, but the memory and bus clocks are about the same. Will the 1GB memory compensate for this?

The new card: MSI NX8800GT 1GB OC
Old one: XFX GF8800GT Alpha Dog Edition

Thoughts needed as I was promised a better one (for a quite small price) at the shop if this performs worse than I was used to (although could again take months if I decide to get a new one). I haven't installed it yet but I'll return after trying it out. :)

EDIT

Well well, that didn't go as expected. My PC doesn't boot with the new card. One long and three short beeps which indicate a video problem, but my mobo's post code halts at 7.8, which indicates a CPU problem. After I popped back the X600 GPU my PC boots, but somehow my BIOS settings were reset.

It first worked fine, got drivers installed and all. I launched 3DMark06 which began fine, but in the second test (Firefly Forest) my PC crashed and gave some beeps. After that it doesnt boot with the new card (flashes some power to my CPU cooler led, one long and three short beeps and code 8.7 on mobo).

Could the new GPU need a better PSU? Or could it just be faulty directly from the factory? Did it melt during 3DMark06? Or is my CPU really ****ed up? D:

Last edited:

Rask

Aug 15, 2004
Finland
www.rdegree.net
Yeah, I just visited the shop and the card didn't work on another machine either. We concluded it was a used card with a ****ty repair done to it.

I ordered a new ATI 5770 (with 50% price reduction). Let's hope it works. (EDIT: luckily I talked to the boss of the shop and he decided it was partly their fault and now offered me the card for free! :D)

And now my PC won't boot with the X600 in. I toggled safemode with networking and it just gives a blank screen (worked okay with normal Windows boot before toggling safemode).

Then I rebooted but the computer beeps with a chaotic sequence I can't really make anything out of (could be long-short-long or long-short-short or short-short-short or anything similar). Then it rebooted by itself and some fan got some god damn high speeds which I've never heard before. I need to check my BIOS post code when it beeps.

I sincerely hope the card didn't **** up anything else in the system. I did get some MOM.Implementation errors, but they relate to ATI drivers which I removed before popping in the nVidia card. I haven't yet got to cleaning the driver installs, was on my list next.

EDIT

Well now it booted, something random happened first. The ultimate fan speed is because my BIOS was reset. On boot up my it said checksum was wrong and reset itself... Now I need to redo all my BIOS settings. Gladly the computer now just works and I can even browse the web and play UT1. :D

The MOM.Implementation errors didn't go away (also get a CLI.Implementation error when trying to launch CCC) after re-installing the ATI drivers. Though I read that Driver Sweeper sometimes removes a bit too much. People told to install .NET 1.1 to get the problem fixed or something. I might try it later this evening.

I'll return if problems continue. Off to set BIOS settings. ->

EDIT2

Oh and Dropbox.com and Gmail are bitching about "insecure connections", could this relate to a BIOS reset? (EDIT: yeah, my BIOS reset the date and time, which was quite wrong and the connection timestamps didn't recognize it.)

Last edited: