gamepad...?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

-=]supr-nova[=-

ŞůÞŖ«ŊðVå»
Mar 5, 2004
wutup all? believe it or not, i like to use a controller as opposed to mouse / keyboard. but, im having a problem trying to get it to work. i use an xbox controller, with a usb convertor. works fine with halo pc, but it seems that ut2k3, and ut2k4 demo doesnt recognize it when you try to map the buttons. if any1 has any ideas, please let me know.

thx.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Gamepad playing is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery different...

I've only known of one other person who used a gamepad, one of my clanmates when I used to play TDM in UT99, dunno how he did it :eek:

As for your problem, I can't really help, sorry :(

atropos

The One and Only
Aug 24, 2003
Belgium
Why do you play a FPS with a gamepad? There are a lot of games where it's easier with a gamepad - like racegames, platformers, ... - but FPSs are definitely much harder (the aiming and trickjumping, weaponswitching, ...).

-=]supr-nova[=-

ŞůÞŖ«ŊðVå»
Mar 5, 2004
'eh, i duno, I've always liked the feel of the dual analog gamepad, as opposed to the mouse and keyboard. its preference. From playing Unreal Championship on the xbox for so long, its just habit now. You guys probably think that game sucks, but i thought it was fun. Now, I want to goto the even better game, UT2k4. I just hope its possible for me to use the gamepad. If any1 has any ideas...please post.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
my guess is that with DDR being on the Xbox now, people are going to start selling Xbox to USB adapters for the PC. Hell, there may even be some out now. Just try to find one using Google or it's nice little shopping buddy, Froogle.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
It has nothing to do with preference. It has to do with experience. You use a gamepad all your life your going to use a mouse and it will just feel weird, and you'll be better at it. That doesn't change the fact that you'd probably play a lot better had you have started using a mouse and keyboard from the beginning. My suggestion is that no matter how much it drives you nuts, switch to a mouse and keyboard.

BoboThePenguin

Bird. Bird. Bird. Bird is the word.
Feb 9, 2004
www.digitallifestylecenter.com
TWD said:
It has nothing to do with preference. It has to do with experience. You use a gamepad all your life your going to use a mouse and it will just feel weird, and you'll be better at it. That doesn't change the fact that you'd probably play a lot better had you have started using a mouse and keyboard from the beginning. My suggestion is that no matter how much it drives you nuts, switch to a mouse and keyboard.

:clap: :tup:

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
Trust us, change to the mouse keyboard setup. I got a controller for the same reason, i was like WTF is this crap... but now i know better, HALO is the only FPS game ive played with a controller that was ok.... if the pc version wouldnt have been crap then it would be the way to go just for the controls (stick with xbox :O).

Get a nostromopad (sp?) couple people i know have those, its basically a part of a keyboard molded to fit a hand and sit on a desk :p I fyou cant handle the keyboard that is >_<

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
-=]supr-nova[=- said:
wutup all? believe it or not, i like to use a controller as opposed to mouse / keyboard. but, im having a problem trying to get it to work. i use an xbox controller, with a usb convertor. works fine with halo pc, but it seems that ut2k3, and ut2k4 demo doesnt recognize it when you try to map the buttons. if any1 has any ideas, please let me know.
Dunno. I've had problems getting my Eliminator Aftershock to work with 2K3 so I pretty much gave up on it after a while. Maybe with 2K4 I'll try again.

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
Major-Lee-High said:
Get a nostromopad (sp?) couple people i know have those, its basically a part of a keyboard molded to fit a hand and sit on a desk :p I fyou cant handle the keyboard that is >_<

I have a nostromo n50, and I use it in addition to the keyboard & mouse. Man, it's sweet; the n52 looks even better, but I have no need to upgrade just yet. It was a breeze to install and configure, and it has way more mappings than I'll ever use. In fact, I don't think I could play without it! It took the edge of my suck, as did the new mx500. I'm almost at the level where I can walk the walk for the sh!t I talk! :lol:

And yes, you can do timed macros so you could have a double tap bound to a single key. If I ever dodged I'd find that particularly useful.... You can use the pad for any app; belkin has (had?) some layouts for apps like Word & Photoshop as well.

-=]supr-nova[=-

ŞůÞŖ«ŊðVå»
Mar 5, 2004
thanks for all you guys trying to switch me to a mouse / kb person, but its not gonna happen. i like playing with a gamepad, what can i say. if you guys have any clue as to how to get it to work properly, please let me know.

- sup doc.

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
I never got my gamepad working, but then again that was back when HL first came out, ive tried to get it working more since then and it just never does..... POS 3dfx thing....

I dont really know anyone that uses gamepads for fps games on pcs, i know alot that have tried and failed though (including me).... afaik even if you get it working and do well, you still wont be able to hang with the good mouse/kb players. Although you may do good driving the vehicles :)