1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

gamepad...?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 2003/2004' started by -=]supr-nova[=-, Mar 5, 2004.

1. -=]supr-nova[=-

-=]supr-nova[=- ŞůÞŖ«ŊðVå»

that may not be true. i think i could most definately hang with mouse / kb ppl. i just want to get my controller to work. i don't understand why its such a huge problem in the coding of the game to enable a joystick.

2. Daedalus

Daedalus I don't even...

its not really the option is there, but it's meant for PC Gamepads not XBox ones.

3. TWD

TWD Cute and Cuddly

But it is a huge problem coding for a joystick. A controller stick is practically the worst control scheme you can come up with next to keyboard only. Epic isn't going to spend time coding something for the few people that want to put themselves at such a huge disadvantage.

Fact is you will never be able to hang with the better players unless you have a mouse.

4. spineblaZe

spineblaZe VFX Extraordinaire

I tried everything to get my gamepads working, but nothing worked. All the buttons worked ok but I couldn't ever get the analog sticks to work, and getting the directional pad to work was a hit and miss. Sometimes it would work, but my view was constantly panning down, and I would have to fight it. Plus, it didn't seem to matter if I had "Joystick" checked or not.

5. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

Who says it's the only way?

I believe that $GB$Overtoad used a joystick while he played Unreal. He's also widely regarded as the single greatest Unreal1 1v1 player ever.

6. Major-Lee-High

Major-Lee-High Im a ranter, ignore me!

Yeah but i doubt that would work today, i remember old games having autoaim and center screen stuff back before mouses worked good and all there was were keyboard controls, at that time joystick/controllers would have made more sense. Just center screen in games today is almost a cheat, i remember binding my mouse 4 button to center screen in a realism shooter and it would center to head level... rofl. A joystick vs plain keyboard is probably tons better, but a keyboard/mouse is the best way to go now days.....

I gaurentee that if pc players could play online with xbox players the xbox guys would get so creamed they would stop playing. They may do ok with rockets and other splash damage weapons but they would die horribly in any situation where quik aim was needed, sniping is almost impossile with a controller, a mouse would kill you before you could try.

*wonders what a joystick/mouse combo would be like*

7. HaloPCsucks

HaloPCsucks New Member

SEE MY POSTING ABOUT XBOX CONTROLLER SETTINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In any of the unreal engine based games, you can go into the user.ini and change "usejoy=false" to "usejoy=true" and your joy will work. 2004 doesn't remember my button settings though, had to type them in!

8. lunchblaze

lunchblaze Codlike

it was a stick for movement and switching, but you aimed with a trackball.

actually not a bad setup, just dodging is hard - not the same as aiming with a gamepad.