FluXs Thoughts - 4th Oct 2004

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

{UFF}HAMMERSTIEN

EEK THE SEA IS FULL OF FISH CRAP
yep but i don't count ut2k3 as part of the ut world coz it was a big let down no were nearly as good as ut.
and peeps will still play old ut and hf coz there pc's r not up to it. i still play old ut and unreal online even though my pc will run all new games. There r more pc's out there that struggle to run new games and the owners don't have the cash to pay out 4 a new rigs every year or 2 just so they can play games

TUBA!

Apr 8, 2004
If it takes noticable time and resources away from the development of DA2... don't mess with the original. I don't think you are going to get any boosts from it. Me, and all the friends I know that play the UT stuff (about 35 people) no longer even have the original UT installed on our computers, and from what I have seen elsewhere, I have a feeling this trend can reflect a good ammount of people in the community. Get DA2 goin! :)

*Starts doing the waiting-for-DA2-dance... which slightly resembles the have-to-pee-really-bad dance, then gets punched in the face when somebody sees it and gets annoyed*

Hellhound

Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
]-UnderTOW-[ said:
I think a number of people here will be disappointed

I hope you are going the right way with da2.
Take a look at SW Battlefront.
Its awesome there a lot more bots than in other games,
ok its a different engine. But i am not sure wheter its good to have some high poly models or a lot "low" poly models ( i don't mean low polys like the invasion bots )

Maybe there is also a possibility to switch the direction more into something like sven co-op. (i know only the first releases)

DA|aBsOlUt

DA GOD
Oct 24, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
If something is released from DA2 team it will be PvP.

I am pretty much convinced by now that PvB is not do-able in the UT2004 engine unless or otherwise highly tuned which we do not have the time nor the "motivated labor" anymore.

I might announce a release of DA2 Beta 1 with PvP mode just because I would like everyone to see our art work and I dont want to see it going into garbage. It has been the best artwork I ever made with a team.

As for maps we will see which ones to include and maybe some new ones, I am already in the process of talking with [D]est.

Hellhound

Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
Ok,
thats a chance to do the things halo was supposed to.
I hope you achive your goals.

Maybe its time to convince the people with an ingame movie ;-)

Last edited:

TUBA!

Apr 8, 2004
Dest said:
You haven't even seen it!

The ONLY reason I got interested in the mod was the emphasis on bot support. I don't want to play just another variation off of assault... expecially without the bots this time, it would seem.

If theres no PvB I am not even going to bother. :mad:

spec_x

DA2 Project Lead/Level Designer
Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
coding for PvB isn't the issue, it's that no one seems to make up their mind on what they actually want to do, as it changes quite frequently :mad:

TUBA!

Apr 8, 2004
Dest, come on now, its YOU'RE guys job to code. ;)

Now, I'm no coder, but assault seems to provide a good chunk of what you need. Destroyable goals, full but support for that, it would seem all you guys need to do is add in the custom models and weapons, and just turn up the number of bots. Some of the fancy stuff obviously is different, but you could at LEAST release a PvB with just this, and work on extra stuff later?

Sorry if I came off as an ass earlier, but it is true. The emphasis on bot support is what got me so exited, without it its just another assault variation, and that isn't worth the download for me. :(

DA|aBsOlUt

DA GOD
Oct 24, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
TheStankMan: If we did something like that the mod will be characterized as a copy-cat of assault with different models and some new maps. We wanted unique new environement, we created it but it didn't come out well.

Nick/Dante: True, we do change our minds often but dante was never motivated to work on DA2 using original concept, I think not even motivated for mods alot anyways, FluXs was not around for months until we almost cancelled it but never delivered a map because he was waiting for Dante (see coders) to get the code done, TOW was not motivated anymore plus he got a job and TOW was going PvP anyways. We had zero maps except yours Nick, we did tests together and we saw this dramatic fps drop. Yes some code could have been updated to reduce those memory leaks.

If you wonder about where I was going? Any direction that would bring DA2 off the ground. PvP? PvB? Both? Didnt' matter which one was coming out first I knew if we had started a while ago we could have added so much more and be much more motivated.

I can count myself and nick (and a little bit of fluxs now that he is back) here that were interested and motivated for DA2. We were not enough I guess.

I am going to pay off our time and efforts by releasing this PvP version. If it succeeds I will support it, if not then I will not support it. Either way I am going HL2. (NOT LEADER)

Last edited:

TUBA!

Apr 8, 2004
Man... looks like the mod is dead then. :(

Cya all, maybe I'll check back in several months to see if anything new came around. Until then, adios.

Bytekeeper

Last of the Brunnen G
Jul 15, 2001
Germany
Visit site
DA|aBsOlUt said:
Nick/Dante: True, we do change our minds often but dante was never motivated to work on DA2 using original concept, I think not even motivated for mods alot anyways, FluXs was not around for months until we almost cancelled it but never delivered a map because he was waiting for Dante (see coders) to get the code done, TOW was not motivated anymore plus he got a job and TOW was going PvP anyways. We had zero maps except yours Nick, we did tests together and we saw this dramatic fps drop. Yes some code could have been updated to reduce those memory leaks.
Well maybe I'm not motivated for mods overall, but I delivered code - and only one person had made a map. It was not even for DA2 and he added "DA" to it. Even now - while code might not be very well tested - it does deliver most of th e things it should. Unless you count the various changes in mind many members had.
TOW wasn't motivated too, but instead of doing the same as our "motivated" members (I tend to say nothing), he did work.
And to address memory leaks. While it's possible to create memory leaks, there shouldn't be any (or not much). The FPS drop can be explained easily:
It's not even the number of monsters, it's the amount of shots fired to players. Maybe some of you know that collision detection isn't fast ( Worst case O(n²) which means every object has to be checked against every other object, and that every frame).
Why didn't it happen in old UT you may ask ? Because "monsters" didn't fire "real" shots, they had mostly instant hit weapons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dest

DA Team
Oct 6, 2004
bikini bottom tbh!
DA|Dante said:
Well maybe I'm not motivated for mods overall, but I delivered code - and only one person had made a map. It was not even for DA2 and he added "DA" to it. Even now - while code might not be very well tested - it does deliver most of th e things it should. Unless you count the various changes in mind many members had.
TOW wasn't motivated too, but instead of doing the same as our "motivated" members (I tend to say nothing), he did work.
And to address memory leaks. While it's possible to create memory leaks, there shouldn't be any (or not much). The FPS drop can be explained easily:
It's not even the number of monsters, it's the amount of shots fired to players. Maybe some of you know that collision detection isn't fast ( Worst case O(n²) which means every object has to be checked against every other object, and that every frame).
Why didn't it happen in old UT you may ask ? Because "monsters" didn't fire "real" shots, they had mostly instant hit weapons.

Help us change it?

I'm making maps atm....