UT2kX First UT2K4 CTF Map Needs Testing

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

rmcollins3

AKA "Doublez-Down"
CTF-Kebechet Final released, thanks for the input!

I've made a few UT99 maps that were decent but have been out of mapping for about 10 years (gasp). Anyway, just about finished (I think) with my first UT2K4 effort. Please have a look...

It's a (yeah original I know) Egyptian based CTF map.

Fileplanet Link

Final version is a couple of pages down...thanks for all who gave input.

Last edited:

rmcollins3

AKA "Doublez-Down"
Shot00002.gif

Shot00001.gif

Yeah I guess that would help.

Sep 24, 2005
Good map.

No misaligned textures, good staticmesh placement. No flying weapon bases or one of the other problems with weapon bases. The aquamarine zonelighting in the corridor is a nice touch.

You 'could' try to tweak the ambientglow & scaleglow settings a bit on some static meshes, but it looks ok like that. The ambient sound placement appears to be good.

Your map beats quite a few retail maps with all the attention to detail.

Sep 24, 2005
No. If you find a way to make maps that 'stick out', your maps will be on par with the best. Kebechet is good.

Just don't sacrifice your personal life for it...

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Woah, looking awesome! Will try it soon.
EDIT: Tried it, and overall it's awesome, the only thing that I didn't like was actually what madspacemarinemustdie didn't notice - in the middle of the map, the courtyard area, near each of the exits, weapon bases use the UT2004 charger meshes but UT2003 charger texture, making them misaligned. But only those two are affected.

Last edited:

rmcollins3

AKA "Doublez-Down"
Thx for having a look. Hmm, are you referring to the RL weapon bases? I had a look and can't see anything misaligned but maybe I'm just missing it.

I also still don't really dig the layout, but it's a bit late in the game to go trying to change that. I already changed the default player count to 6-10 and feel that helps with the constant "red flag taken, blue flag taken, blue flag returned, etc..." messages.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Pandemonium is correct... Did anyone create a mutator that removes those skins from already complete maps? Since it should be very easy to do but would help a lot.

Creavion

Aug 27, 2005
Germany, Niedersachsen
Pandemonium is correct... Did anyone create a mutator that removes those skins from already complete maps? Since it should be very easy to do but would help a lot.
For this you have a console command in the editor (at least, not helping for the already "f*cked up" maps, sad that even the higher class mappers did not care about that):
//UT2004 weapon base with new staticmesh
//to automatically convert all xWeaponBases in a level to have this mesh, use the editor console command "NewPickupBases"

Try it out on DM-Antalus

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
(at least, not helping for the already "f*cked up" maps, sad that even the higher class mappers did not care about that)

That's what I meant when talking about a mutator. A simple one with this should pretty much suffice:
Code:
simulated function PostBeginPlay()
{
  local NewWeaponBase NWB;

foreach AllActors(class'NewWeaponBase', NWB)
    NWB.Skins[0]=None;

Super.PostBeginPlay();
}