First Car

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nickelass

In the Flesh?
Apr 4, 2002
Central Illinois
Visit site
even though i dont have a liscense yet i got my first car today. it is a 1965 Mustang. right now it has a straight six in it but we have plans to swap that out for a 302 V8.

Mustang_FR_corner.jpg

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
LEAVE THE ENGINE ALONE !!

If that's an original engine, don't swap it. Enjoy the car for what it is, and what it stands for. Do all the numbers match?

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Sweet dude you got a classic Mustang as your first car. You already look better than all the new Mustang GT's out there. The only thing I'm not diggin is the wheels, you should get the new "Bullit" style mustang wheels. Very nice :tup:

edit - How many miles?

Nickelass

In the Flesh?
Apr 4, 2002
Central Illinois
Visit site
i am definantly replacing the engine. originality is not something im worried about. when we drove it home today i realized how dangerous it is. lap seat belts, ****ty drum brakes and no power steering. after all it is almost 40 years old. so hopefully we can get a power steering system, power disk brakes, the 302 and see if they sell 3 point seat belts for it. i dont plan on wrecking it but id rather not die if i do. plus the dash board is almost pointy so if you got in a wreck instant concussion/brain damage.

also, i have pics of the engine and interior if you want to see them.

Last edited:

SnaKe-Fu

Thread Killer.
Dec 26, 2000
California
www.7igaming.com
lol why'd u buy a classic just to add a bunch of after market crap to it? oh well its ur car.. but its a good way to ruin a good car.. plus.. get it out of the snow! and becareful drivin in the snow with a rwd car.. oh yeah have fun with the salt

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Nickelass, first I will say that you are extremely lucky to have got your hands on a Mustang, and a red one at that. Me, my mom and other members of the family really love the look of this car but we know we'll never get to own one or even drive one.

As for your projects to replace some of the original items on this car, all I can say is that a responsable owner will recognize it's symbolic worth and will drive it carefully whilst tending to maintenance every weekend (paintwork, bodywork, cleaning the engine out, oil, etc.). It isn't meant to be a casual car and never was.

That said, you're the owner and you do what you want and I would address any security issues. Don't forget that today's cars are crash tested and the front and back ends of most cars are designed to collapse in a violent collision. This car wasn't designed that way and will either roll like a barrel, go flying or make a spectacular crunch. Take care on the road mate because there are some really crazy b*st*rds out there who couldn't care less for human lives when they're speeding.

Nickelass

In the Flesh?
Apr 4, 2002
Central Illinois
Visit site
yes. and that is why i want to get the safety stuff taken care of. and btw, the car was only $3200 so many of you could easily get one. it will just take some more money and some time to get it right. also, the paint on this car is not original and is bad in most places. it is hard to tell in that picture but the back has all been sanded down and stuff so we are going to have it repainted....silver. i think it will look sharper that way than in red.

and the snow does suck, but living in illinois it is something that i just have to deal with. the salt sucks as well and i will probably wash it every day when the temperature is above freezing in the winter. but untill then i dont have to worry about it because i dont even have a drivers permit yet.

Last edited:

Ruffrider

Feb 2, 2000
Citrus Springs, FL
Nice stang bro, make sure you dont drive it in the snow/salt or the body aint gonna last to long.

As the motor, do you plan on just putting a used stock 302 in it, or are you looking for some power? If you have a "power" crave give Keith Craft a call and ask about is Econo 331 Packages w/ AFR 185cc Heads. If you got the money thats the motor I'd go with. If you just want a stock 302 I have on with 74,000miles on it sitting in my garage lol. My aol name is Ruffrider03GT if ya ever wanna talk about stangs :)

Devastator

What are YOU looking at?
Apr 8, 2003
North
bua.beyondunreal.com
Very nice car dude. :tup: I always loved the classic look of the old Stangs. Unfortunatly, they are very rare up here (most of em wrecks) so i'm going for the 87-93 model. :)

Lynxx

Jul 2, 2000
Visit site
toss the drive train in the attic. get a stroked Windsor, a built C6 and a 9" rear end. you won't need anything close to 4:10s because the car is featherweight. trust me, I owned one.

Lewis

May 1, 2003
damn i hate you americans... you get such good cheap cars for the amount that we pay here - especially for us new drivers
/me strokes his '97 ford fiesta 1.2 16v beast ;)