File Planet has too many eggs in one basket.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
T

Terminal {DTH}

Originally posted by Pabu
My personal opinion is that if a web site isnt selling a product, they should treat their site as if it were a magazine. When I click on a link to another page within the site, a full page ad should open first (not every time....make the ratio of ad pages similar to that of a real magazine), and dont let the "continue" button load for about 10 seconds after the main portion of the page has loaded. Then you can get more traditional advertisers involved (companies such as Pepsi, McDonalds, Ford, etc...). I agree that 30 second commercials arent the answer because people on regular modems would take forever to download the commercial.
i dont agree with this either. i Deplore full page adds and when possible wont even let them load. found i a site like you are suggesting i simply wouldnt go there. well, maybe if it was quicker. 5 seconds MAX is all ild be willing to give ANY add or ild close the browser and start elseware. and im not the only one with limited pationance to online stuff, from what i have read in various articles people dont have a lot of pationance in general with websites and adds in particular.

"If you are going to use banner ads as your main source of revenue, you need to only show ads for companies with something to actually sell."

Agreed, but that rarely EVER happens in my experiance.

:(

"First of all, most people dont accept the internet as a place to purchase things. "

agreed. much as i am Greatly into computers and the internet in general i wont buy something i cant see and take away with me.
Things VERY rarely being what they appear from a pic or even pic & description. for that of these same reason i wont purchise something via catalogs, but at least with catalogs the source can be trusted to send the product.

T

Terminal {DTH}

Originally posted by stem

we are working on an in-house download server, which is currently running on fileplanet... if our download server is full it will pop up a window stating your place in the queue and the estimated time before the download will start...

yes ive seen that, and it is nice.... to a point. when the estimated wait time gets upwards around or more then 10 minutes that is a BIT excessive. =( to put it mildly.

T

Terminal {DTH}

Originally posted by Zaccix
I can't stand the fact that you have to have a GamespyID to download from Fileplanet

what is THIS??? when did THAT crap start?!?! i just got something or another (think it was a map) from there round a week ago. If true then there is no way in HELL ill go there again!

i am Dead SICK and near (literally) Screaming tired of *$#W#$@%$^U%(* sites that require membership to DO stuff!!!

Had i liked going through Hoops ild have jioned the ********* circus!!!!!

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
I should elaborate :)

If you go through the Fileplanet.com front page and want to download, for example, a UT patch, you'll need to login to Gamespy ID to get to the download links. However, if you click on a hosted file (from a hosted site), then you'll go straight to the download links with no login needed.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
yea its a weird setup - all of a sudden the other day when i posted that message i was sent to a membership page... i was tryin to dl something from pu i think... but some other dl's since fplanet hasnt axed me for anything... i dunno, i just relly dont like having to have memberships all over either, too much for my puny mind to keep track of :>

i really like the fileplanet que thingy, and i was even getting files much faster than i ever had! but the last coupledays the lines have been like 'theres 998 ppl in line, approx wait 14 minutes'! wth?!?! awelll... whattya want for nutin...?

T

Terminal {DTH}

im Soooo damn sick of sites that require membership to do things tha i just cant STAND what fileplanet has done there.
exmp: was looking for a tetris game yesterday and thinking aright that fileplanet has everything game related i when there forgetting about the membership needed. and when i Found one i wanted to get then saw that i promptly fired off a nice little message expressing my disgust. i sincearally hope someone takes note of it. :mad:

Pabu

A God among mortals
Feb 25, 2001
MN, USA
Visit site
Originally posted by Terminal {DTH}
im Soooo damn sick of sites that require membership to do things tha i just cant STAND what fileplanet has done there.

Really?? You needed a membership to make your post. What is the big deal about it? I just sign up with the same username/password and then its like its the same membership I have everywhere else.

midnight creature

nuclear willy tech
Jun 7, 2001
Visit site
actually it was at the tech not the peeps

I have some family in wales and in scotland and both are waiting for high speed connections. Even in the states where I lived last (prescott, arizona) we could not get more than isdn and it was insane expensive.

Everyone should have dsl/cable/fiber by now and cheap. It's the companies fault for not providing for its customers not the other way around.

Down with BT !!!

T

Terminal {DTH}

Really?? You needed a membership to make your post. What is the big deal about it? I just sign up with the same username/password and then its like its the same membership I have everywhere else.

i made this membership well more then a year ago and my openions have changed over time. if you want farther reasons read my posts here: http://forums.planetunreal.com/showthread.php?postid=567113#post567113

it is all explained there mostly and i dont care to repete myself really. if you have farther questions after that i will be happy to answer.

T

Terminal {DTH}

even if you DONT keep cookies (wich i do not anyhow) your actions are still being tracked and reported. tha's not the point hal :hmm: