File Planet has too many eggs in one basket.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeaJae

taking a month's break
May 7, 2001
England
www.littleportitservices.co.uk
i was wondering if we could do this:
i recently put up a few files which ppl have had way too much difficultly getting from FP onto my public webspace temporarly.
just UT mods which i managed to get. this is ok to do? isn't it? if not ill take them off.

I can never use any of the Austrailian/New Zealand mirrors- it knows from my IP that I'm not from that continent and blocks me. ..

The Polish servers always just return "Page Not Found" errors any time of the day or night...

Half the time the Italian servers don't have the frickin' file...

So that leaves New York and LA. any more, when I see a download for FilePlanet, I just refuse to click it, because I know more likely than not I'll be waiting forever, if I EVER get the file. Try www.3DDownloads.com (or somehting like that)... they are often mirrored on FP, and they are hella faster.

File Planet... you need more bandwidth guys. You;re rapidly becoming a victim of your own success in the gamer community. :(

~ImagoX

stem

May 2, 2001
www.gamespyindustries.com
If you use IE and you get the "Page Not Found" when going to a ftp site (ie ftp://...., which most of the mirrors use), this error is usually due to the ftp server being full... Netscape will pop up a window saying "max anonymous connections reached".. plus mirrors don't get the file the second they are on our master server.. some mirrors will mirror every hour, some every couple hours, some even just do it once or twice a day..

we are working on an in-house download server, which is currently running on fileplanet... if our download server is full it will pop up a window stating your place in the queue and the estimated time before the download will start...

like i said in an earlier post, bandwidth doesn't grow on trees and this is a free service from GameSpy that we pick up the bill for...

/stem
UNIX Admin
GameSpy Industries
www.gamespy.com

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
ACK! NOOO!! THE UNIX ADMIN HAS FOUND US! HE'S GOING TO MOCK US AND OUR WINDOWS98 WAYS! RUN FOR THE HILLS!

*sounds of deepershade running like hell are all that can be heard.....*

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
The one problem I have with FP, is that fact it uses .zip extentions on the web page. That totally throws off d/l resumers, which means I can't download big files on this 56K (My ISP has a 2 hour disconnection). I know you can copy and edit the url to get around that, but its still stupid that you should have to do that.

As for banners, I dont click on them, I think its stupid to click on ads for stuff your not interested in.

midnight creature

nuclear willy tech
Jun 7, 2001
Visit site
If you don't like banner ads

Download freedom.net's http://www.freedom.net firewall with ad manager. Especially you peeps with :rolleyes: 56's still.

I currently have not downloaded 700 megs worth of ads because of it and even on a dsl 385/1.5 you can notice the difference.

Make sure you go to options and turn on ad manager or it won't work.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
My golden rule with Fileplanet is that if a file (for example a patch or mod) is available somewhere else, I'll get it from that other source and leave Fileplanet as the very last place. If more people did this, it'd lessen the burden on FP.

The problem is that 99% of people are just too damn lazy to try and find another mirror or site. Case in point: the recently released Deathmatch Classic for HL. I saw the news item on GSD and the link to Fileplanet. Now, I can't stand the fact that you have to have a GamespyID to download from Fileplanet, plus I hate the queue system too. So I looked around for a good mirror and found that both Barrysworld and Gamesdomain had the file, and got it nice and fast. A little effort prevented a lot of stress.

Wait until the next CS patch drops. I predict a Fileplanet crash from the burden of millions of lazy-ass gamers descending on what is the most popular service of it's kind. Some may say that FP is becoming a victim of it's own success, and that's true, but some of the people who use it aren't helping very much either.

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
Especially you peeps with :rolleyes: 56's still.

Sorry I dont meet your high expections of a netuser

I don't think he was slighting users stuck with 56K modems, but the fact that they're still the "standard", especially in the days of GHz procsessors, 80GB harddrives, sub-$400 computers and so forth.

56K modems are well over a decade old, and if home connections had progressed like every other piece of technology, we'd be kidding about $5/month xDSL connections being way too slow.

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
The thing is that not everyone can afford higher speed connectiosn. Especially in england where BT has yet to get off its ass and get it around the whole country... even in the parts that do have it, it costs too much..

Some people dont have a choice and i dont see why we should be hit for it..

SimplyCosmic

Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
That's his point, goofball. :D

It shouldn't be costing that much. In fact, if connection speeds followed the rest of technology, every last house out there should be connected by 100Mbs fiber.

It's the damn greedy Telco's, knowing that they can get away with not updating their infrastructure.

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
No, its not his point.. not once did he say that....

He said "Especially you peeps with :rolleyes: 56's still."

The rolleyes indicates that he believes that we should get high speed connections...

Oh, and it does cost that much.. This is BT were talking about

SimplyCosmic

Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
ARG.

If he had meant to be rolling his eyes at "you peeps" it would have been either right before or right after "you peeps".

Instead, it's right before the 56K modem part, because he's rightly rolling his eyes at them.

Add to that the fact that it's only part of the entire sentence in which he's recommending a piece of software which eliminates the downloading of ad banners, thereby speeding up your connection, and you'll see there was no ill will meant towards you.

Anyway, regardless of it being British Telecom, it still shouldn't cost too much, except in the fact that the Telco's would make Machiavelli proud. The technology and equipment to give a ADSL connection to everyone, including you, is incredibly cheap. They just don't want to upgrade, because too many people simply accept 56K as "good enough".

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
HEY! IM RIGHT! OK!? IM ALWAYS RIGHT! FOR I AM GOD! FEAR ME!

NOW GET DOWN AND GIVE ME 20 BOYO! :D

Note: A few people on these forums have trouble working out a joke and a serious comment... just to make absolutly sure you know, this is a joke comment ;)

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
and now whats this stuff about "needing" to login with an ID to use fileplanet?? whats the deal as if we arent tracked enuff around the web already, sheesh...

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Nygrrrl: Gamespy are idiots... they had this great idea of making a universal login for all their users... which from a security aspect is very very stoopid... but then.. this is gamespy were talking about.. ;)