Eye candy for UT2k3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fu22Y_L0giC

Chocaholic
May 29, 2003
Visit site
When you visit 007MIKE's site and read the sentence below, click on the 'here' and you will download a umod which will restore your setting to optimum ;)

"You can grab this baby here."

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
I don't understand why you would have to purge the entire game just for a few lines of opengl entries. Sounds like some desperate people.

If you cant fix it....just shoot me an email. Chances are I can fix it so you don't have to reinstall the game and spread around negative feelings about a mod that did things you didn't understand.

Right now I don't know how to make a umod delete entries. I can only add new ones or modify existing ones. I can't take away.

It sounds like those who are complaining about it were using d3d before and can't figure out how to switch back. Otherwise they are opengl users...and that doesnt make any sense.

options>preferences>video>"change" button at the top

Any user who does use opengl in the first place would know how to replace the eye candy opengl settings with the ones that epic recomends with there opengl.dll and replace the new opengl.dll with the epic one.

Here is what the opengl settings used to be:

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=False
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=True

Now look in your UnrealTournament.ini and compare the two. Big difference. If you don't like what eye candy has done, then replace my entries with the entries above and put the old opengl.dll back in your system folder.

I have recieved quite a few emails from people who have had problems. People like to use the high quality version on machines that simply are not fast enough. So far I have solved every single problem that people have emailed me about...but I do love a good challenge and some user feedback.

Feel free to quote me on those forums rukee.

Last edited:

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Fu22Y_L0giC said:
When you visit 007MIKE's site and read the sentence below, click on the 'here' and you will download a umod which will restore your setting to optimum ;)

"You can grab this baby here."

Well that is for UT2k3 only, and yes it does restore everything back to the way it was.

Such a task is not so easy to do with UT1. Which i assume thats what rukee was talking about. Thought he didn't specify.

-Penfold-

Excellent work 007.

I have a question though. How do I get VSync to work with UT1 eyecandy? I went to do what you said in the readme "You can also turn on your Vsync...Change the value to 1 so that it looks like this: SinglePassDetail=1..." but it already was set to 1. And my OpenGL settings in my GF3Ti200 control panel is set to on by default (the only "ON" option)

I'd prefer to cap the game at 85 FPS as I've heard getting into the higher framerates can make certain things faster than they should be. And my TimeDemoStatistics FPS isn't capped at 85 like it used to be, it goes up into the high 200s. Refresh rate is set to 85.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
-Penfold- said:
Excellent work 007.

I have a question though. How do I get VSync to work with UT1 eyecandy? I went to do what you said in the readme "You can also turn on your Vsync...Change the value to 1 so that it looks like this: SinglePassDetail=1..." but it already was set to 1. And my OpenGL settings in my GF3Ti200 control panel is set to on by default (the only "ON" option)

I'd prefer to cap the game at 85 FPS as I've heard getting into the higher framerates can make certain things faster than they should be. And my TimeDemoStatistics FPS isn't capped at 85 like it used to be, it goes up into the high 200s. Refresh rate is set to 85.

Any ideas?

I take it your talking about version 2 for UT1.
The new opengl.dll vsync is called: SwapInterval=0
Simple change the value to 1 to activate it. I left the value on 0 so I wouldn't piss people off. This new renderer can override just about any settings you have in your video card preferences so thats why your vsync wasn't on.

Thanks for finding that typo in the readme file.
Think i will update it just because of that.

-Penfold-

OO7MIKE said:
Thanks for finding that typo in the readme file.
No, thank you. Don't know how you got the game to look better and run faster, but I like it. :D:tup:

The ini file update worked like a charm. I was pleased to see that, sitting at top center looking down at every single outdoor poly of FaceSE with 16 bots and dynamic lighting turned on (I'd read that OpenGL doesn't (or didn't, rather :) ) do well with dynamic lighting), it averaged around 55 FPS. Superb. Factor that in with a realistic poly count during actual play and a minframerate setting not set to zero, and that's some good stuff.

Let me know if you get around to putting out a hi-res texture pack to compliment the existing one.

Last edited:

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
hehe
Dynamic lighting is a killer if you run into a guy with a damage amp or your using it...but it does fine for everything else.

I updated the files....so not only is the read me file updated but the opengl.dll has been updated. It seems to be slightly faster than the previous version. I will add new entries in the next release so it will look even better, but for now just enjoy the speed improvements.

The Twiggman

Instagib 4 Life
OO7MIKE said:
Right now I don't know how to make a umod delete entries. I can only add new ones or modify existing ones. I can't take away.

Why not just make a simple uninstaller. Just make an exe that will scan through the .ini find the lines and fix them. Not to hard. Just include it in the zip with the .umod. In the case for the opengl.dll thingy you might even want to have in a seperate folder a backup included with the zip which the uninstaller can call to and overwrite the eyecandy opengl.dll

Last edited:

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
LOL, i could have sworn i replied to this thead...but oh well.

I have no way to do what you describe since i have no way of knowing just what there origonal settings where before they installed the umod.
I know it is possible to have a program back stuff up before the mod was installed...but i dont have that capability with the umod.
I guess i should warn people to back up 2 files before installing the mod until then.

hund_schraube

Sep 1, 2003
i've been playing alot of ut1 tacops2.2 on the lan and eye candy makes it look so sweet.whats the status of the 315 meg updated hirez textures you mentioned at your site?

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
hund_schraube said:
i've been playing alot of ut1 tacops2.2 on the lan and eye candy makes it look so sweet.whats the status of the 315 meg updated hirez textures you mentioned at your site?

Glad to hear it's working great for you. :)
I disconinued work on the larger version for 5 different reasons.

1. The textures that I have already redone had issues.
2. I couldn't compress them to dxt1. I simple was unable to find anyways to do it that would work with UT1 with out it crashing.
3. Using raw uncompressed textures worked very well on GF fx cards because they have their own internal compression of 32bit textures....however it gave GF 4 cards a large performance hit due to the huge texture sizes.
4. Raw redone textures where not compatible with online play. It was probably something epic did to make sure that people didnt do things like replace the skin textures or invisibility textures with white textures. A small precaution to cut down on the cheating. Im very sure this could be fixed with some time consuming hex editing....but thats more work than I would like to go through.
5. Any user can simply take the textures from the second disk and use the S3tc patch to fix the majority of issues that occur with using the high res textures. I didn't feel a need to upload the fixed textures and have lots of users waste hours of downloading time when they can do it themselfs, given some patience. After all what is better? A 5kb file or a 315mb file?

I am currently waiting for the OpenGL moder to finish up his revisions for his next release before I go ahead and Tweak the next version of Eye Candy for UT1. Apparently He got himself an ATI card, so it's quite possible that the next release will have some form of optimising with ATI cards in mind. I can't say for sure when It will be, but I am hoping with in a month I will have a new version up.

As for the 2k3 version...... That most likely wont be changed unless a new patch comes out...or UT 2004 gets released.

Last edited:

-Penfold-

OO7MIKE, is there any reason that EyeCandy v2 might not work well with Infiltration 2.86 or 2.9? (after the OpenGL render section is pasted to the Infiltration.ini file that is)

If everything works fine, might I suggest making a v2 umod for Infiltration? (as many Inf players are likely using too slow a system for v2.05). A simple change to add the text to the Infiltration.ini file instead of the UnrealTournament.ini file and some pimpage over at The Infiltration Forums shouldn't take much work. ;) That, and with Inf 2.9 now Gold and its download on the near horizon the Inf community is in a buzz.

Last edited:

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
I see no reason why the settings shouldn't work.

I have had a few people email me about it with TO and Infiltration. I don't personally have either of them. If you shoot me a link to them I could probably have something panned out this week end. It's nice to have a well rounded mod/utility for various games.

If I can.....and I'm really really trying. I will have an external program that will apply Various Eye Candy settings to various games even if they don't support Umod files. Army ops and splinter cell dont like Umod files.....so this will be a good way of giving different communities a chance to max out their settings. It's a much better solution for people who are not comfortable with poking around. It would be nice to have a completely configurable interface....but that would take to long to work with all of the platforms.

hund_schraube

Sep 1, 2003
dont know about Infiltration[should work fine]but i use it in tacops no prob.you just have to copy the opengl lines from unrealtournament.ini to the TacticalOps.ini.i'm guessin the same with Infiltration.

JTRipper

Chimpus Maximus
Sep 12, 2001
Denial
www.planetunreal.com
Actually, if it relies on the .ini files, there are a lot of mods besides Inf that would need files tweaked. I'm too lazy to re-read the thread, but I think Mike mentioned an intention to write a guide on making & undoing the neccessary changes? If not, it might be a better idea than trying to make .umods for every mod - there's an awful lot of them.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
It's a tedious process to make a umod. I try to just make ones that I believe would be in high demand.

In other words....bug me about it. :)