exciting times for inf players

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[Killswitch]

GHOST
Jul 24, 2000
London ontario, canada
Im sure this has been posted to death, but I dont give a rats... Im posting it because I haven't seen/talked to a lot of infers lately and Im glad to finally seen the hard work put into the mod pay off. Its so close I can taste it, great work team.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
Yes, I like how the team has become a little more active on the boards and updating us on the progress.

One of my biggest sources of excitement about the release of 2.9 is that I will be able to play on a full server any time I want w/o resorting to run and gun vanilla.

Mason

Self appointed voice of reason
Dec 14, 2000
Upstate NY
forums.unreal2.net
This mod is one that I keep leaving and returning to...consistently...the 'team' has put together an awesome mod, the community has put together awesome maps....and the fact that this mod has been around for at least 4 years (when I 'discovered' it in '99) says a lot. Great job guys!!

Degree

Mafia Freak
Dec 2, 2000
Finland, Europe
koti.mbnet.fi
I get pathetic feeling when I start remembering that we really thought INF would be released 1½ years ago... I checked the main page every day at several times to just see was it released or not. Since that I've been checking the main page at least once week... and even more often nowadays because it's so close (but still too far :D).

By the way, does anyone else have a feeling that America's Army is biggest challenger/threat for INF nowadays? I think many new players who will try INF 2.9 will also leave it after playing it 5 minutes and say "This feels like Amerca's Army but it's not better" or something. It's so wrong because America's Army is more like an INF clone... than otherwise.

And other INF-like mod which is pissing me off is True Combat (1.0). People are tempering how great new ideas it has altough INF has had them for 2 years. And which is most annoying is that True Combat Dev Team has started advertising TC with "NO CROSSHAIR" statements!

Last edited:

Alpha_9

Infiltration lead level designer
Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
When I tried AA last year what turned me off was the damage model they use, i.e. needing 5-6 hits from an m16 to take down a foe. Gave it an arcadish feel you don't get with INF. ;) The rest of it seemed pretty well done though, but that one poorly-made gameplay choice (IMO) is enough to ruin it for me at least.

melagne

blah
Dec 6, 2002
well, i suppose these ARE exciting times for inf players...

<big kev voice>I'm Excited!</big kev voice>

...er, yeah. I check the site regularly. I check the forums more frequently because since sublimes 'beta log' ended there never seems to be much new info @ the site. this lack of info was exciting at first but less so by now because there is still not really much info... the release seems so close (and yet so far </cliche> ). but then again it has been like this for a year or so now.... ;-) bah enough moaning from me....

anyway, i found a site today where some guy is redoing the AI meshes and textures for System Shock 2 so they look awesomely detailed instead of crap. So that should keep me occupied until 2.9 releases... :-D

Mason

Self appointed voice of reason
Dec 14, 2000
Upstate NY
forums.unreal2.net
My complaint about America's Army comes from it's apparent lack of 'single player' mode...except for training. I only occasionally play online, so I need a game that I can enjoy offline as well. Unreal Tournament (and to a lesser extent, Quake III) fill that void with good AI (relatively speaking). Thus far, I have seen no other game that matches either of them in that capacity...and until I do, I will stick with these games (and UT 2k3 as soon as I upgrade my system).

Neddaf

Just a flesh wound!
Jul 19, 2001
Los Angeles, California
If its not out by the two year mark, then its definete time to do something lol...the two year mark is comin August 26th, I believe thats the day .86 was released.

But yea, the maps look good, I just wish there were some more weapons...

AA being an INF clone? I think AA is more than INF and then some, but yeah its all personal opinion, no need to bash games nowadays because this game didnt get that much popularity with the most recent release.

BRING IT ON 2.9!!!

Degree

Mafia Freak
Dec 2, 2000
Finland, Europe
koti.mbnet.fi
SOULJA said:
But yea, the maps look good, I just wish there were some more weapons...
We have enough weapons in INF... at least after 2.9 because we get the Minimi. And there is no useless weapons in INF armoury which is an fantastic achievement. In my opinion the balance between weapons is perfect. All the weapons are powerful if you know how to use one.

AA being an INF clone?
Yes. It may feel very original for players who have never played INF. I'm an INF player so everytime I play AA I think "this and that thing is done better in INF" and so on.

...no need to bash games nowadays because this game didnt get that much popularity with the most recent release.
Let's keep sure 2.9 will get popularity! :D It is a shame that INF is so unknown mod...

Last edited:

LIGHTFIGHTER

11B3H AFA MEMBER
Jul 9, 2002
MOTORCITY
Visit site
It looks like we are going to loose the Vanilla Inf Players..........because the Run and Gun will gone(which I'm glad because I can stand that sh!t)

Looks Like INF will be the game of the year.......even if its just a mod.....I can't think of any game I waited this long for with this much interest

w00p

Windows at its best
INF simply, plainly, owns all current games I know that 'claim' to be realistic.
AA? never played it, system is too weak. (though the fact that there is random conefire says enough)
RvS? played it at a cyber café once, unrealistic.
CS? *everybody suddenly says "don't even go there"
SOF2? hmm naaaaaah!!!
BHD? see comment SOF2

That are all games that said they where realistic.
My dogs poop is closer to a realistic game than those are! :con:

Hats-off, INF is the best!
Thank you SS, for bringing us the best game ever.
Thank you! *gets emotional and cries :p

On a very very very very very very happy note, My exams are finally over. I feel so pumped full of energy. blablabla.
I could go on for ages :)

Last edited:

Degree

Mafia Freak
Dec 2, 2000
Finland, Europe
koti.mbnet.fi
predator_321_go said:
RvS? played it at a cyber café once, unrealistic.
CS? *everybody suddenly says "don't even go there"
SOF2? hmm naaaaaah!!!
BHD? see comment SOF2

And RvS has it's moments with singleplayer and COOP. In multiplayer (adversarial gamemodes) it feels very unrealistic because it is based too much on the ****ing annoying and stupid run 'n gun gamestyle.

CS? BHD? SOF2? Don't even mention them in the same sentence with INF. :D After INF the most realistic games would be something like this: Operation Flashpoint, America's Army, another INF clone Q3 mod True Combat (dunno about the latest version because I haven't tried it yet) and HL mod Day of Defeat (unfortunately it has come more arcadeish after version 1.0). But INF has the simulation feeling... none of the other games has it. It is so hard to try to sell INF for new players because they haven't even heard about it before and they don't want to believe it is really a game which genre could be FPS simulation.