Eurocrapsongfestival: Gwar clones win...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
At least, that was the first thought that hit me when I saw them on tv.. a couple of weeks ago. Gwar, gwar,gwar. I didn't even know they were selected for the eurocrapsongfestival.

And they're the winners...

How horror rock conquered Europe
Finnish metal band Lordi, who dress in monster masks and outlandish fantasy costumes, have taken the Eurovision Song Contest by storm.

Lordi
Lordi were a controversial choice for Eurovision
They would not look out of place in a Lord of the Rings film, their lead singer describes himself as "the hulk of hell" and they sing about "the arockalypse" and "the day of rockoning".

And now Lordi have joined the likes of Abba, Bucks Fizz, Dana and Celine Dion on the elite list of Eurovision winners.

This hard rock band were already successful in their home country, but have now become a phenomenon in Europe.

Weird.

As if I give a damn about this eurocrapsongfestival. The only reason I watch, sometimes, is because it's a... well.. all those strange creatures.
It's a freakshow, but a glamorous one. I did watch the pre selection (semi finale) on thursday. Only the first seven songs, and the end. I really wanted to know if Kate Ryan would make it.
She did fine. I'm not really a fan of her, though she has a good voice/presence etc.

So many strange creatures.. artist they like to call themselves. Dressed up the weirdest clothing. Some looked female, but were male. Some females used their "assets" to the fullest, and sometimes the eurocrapsongfestival turned into ... nudey bar show? Lots of bare meat. Lots of crappy songs.

But most of the crappy songs were selected. Ah, it's the "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" politics, hm...

:lol: What a muppet show.

Well, at least the muppets were entertaining...

Mas

Paul Aka Mas
Dec 9, 2003
I heard of lordi a while ago, they are class :p

Check out there song "The Devil Is Loser" ;)

Nines

With Rage Alive
Oct 12, 2004
Sweden
Lordi is a very good band, and I love their image, the whole monster thing.
I started listening to them about 5 or 6 months ago and I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that they were going to the ESC.

Although they may be far from the best metal band in the world, they were definitely the best band in the ESC.
They also got more votes than anyone has ever gotten before in the contest.
And because Finland has always participated with songs that end up among the last, they're very happy to finally have won.

Now, hopefully Lordi has set a new standard for the ESC and I hope to see more metal there in the future. :)

Last edited:

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Please...
Any reason to watch that program died a long long time go (with the possibly exception of Terry Wogan).

Calling it a song contest is a ****ing joke.

All the former USSR countries vote for russia, everyone else votes for their neighbours. The whole program is one huge political circle jerk.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Ah, but the mighty might of intarwebbens forum and IRC propaganda all around Europe was powerfull enough to break the circle of political jerk and sat Lordi on the throne of Bhaal Eurosongens. The throne is now located in Finland and remains there unless a mightier competitor with more threadviews showes up next year.

namu

Bleh.
Dec 21, 2000
Dinae Mensa, Tharsis Regio
namu.free.fr
Watch, hear and smell the Lordi performance at ESC here. I must say it's average, as far as metal goes, which means it was certainly well above the level of other competitors. The costumes are nice, though, half-way between the Orcs from LoTR and the Klingons from Star Trek movies.

Most countries participating in ESC try hard NOT to win, because it'd mean they'd have to finance next year's contest. That's the #1 reason the "artists" they send are utter crap.

Evil_Cope

For the Win, motherfather!
Aug 24, 2001
sound quality always blows monkey-chunks on programs like eurovision. It sounded pretty good, with that in mind, so i'm going to look a little more into lordi. See if i can get my hands on the album. :)

Also, a heavy metal band? Winning Eurovision? Wtf?!
I must find a clip with wogan's reactions! :lol:

(Also, not only have i never heard any Gwar, but you can hardly say that either lordi or gwar are bound to be the first to use a gimmick like this, the whole monster-look. It's pretty standard stuff, ya know? Still, bonus points for managing to get onto eurovision, home of dull Politically Correct music and balklands block-voting, dressed like that.)

Last edited:

Nines

With Rage Alive
Oct 12, 2004
Sweden
Evil_Cope said:
sound quality always blows monkey-chunks on programs like eurovision. It sounded pretty good, with that in mind, so i'm going to look a little more into lordi. See if i can get my hands on the album. :)

Do that, it's great. The Hard Rock Hallelujah on the album sounds different from the live performance in the ESC, btw.
The one on the album is a lot more melodic.

NeoNite said:
The song, well... 20 years too late, imho.

Well, they do play 80's metal, they've said it themselves. :p

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
To be honest, these Eurovision Song sheit is a joke themselves. I mean nobody really cares... Died off in the 80'es and they just can't get on with life and forget about it.

"Norway den poindz"

Last edited:

Vers Vlees

Oohhh a custom title
Nov 30, 2002
The Netherlands
www.versvlees.owns.it
DeeperShade said:
All the former USSR countries vote for russia, everyone else votes for their neighbours. The whole program is one huge political circle jerk.

bah indeed. All those Eastern Eurotrash are voting for eachother. While the Western Euro's dont even give their own neighbours a high point vote. It ruined the songfestival.
Well it always sucked but with the eastern trash with it it sucks more.
Maybe we should just boycott this EASTERN eurotrashvision song festival just like Italy.
and why didnt Kate Ryan get to finales. She was the only A list star over there. Oh wait Eastern eurotrash voting nvm.

Im glad Lordi won eventough I hate metal. I was just glad they dissed the Eastern Eurotrash.
Atleast the show doesnt drag on with the everlasting vote process.

oh here is a vid with the eurotrash song festival contestant from Iceland. It has some bad words so its NSFW.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snG2V-PtpB8
Man she is wierd :lol:

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
"I am not a laughing matter".
Of course not. Though she looks like a parrot gone berserk, she really needs to be "taken seriously".
I guess there will be plenty of candidates who'll apply...

"The circus is over. Go home"

And what a circus it has been. Hilarious, retarded, arrogant, barbie doll circus.

She's crazy. It's a good thing she didn't open her hate beak about Belgium..(Or I've missed it)
Holland and sweden on the other hand...

What a looney tune.

K

i bite
Jul 29, 2004
Magrathea
OK I really should Not have read this thread, Because now i am just angry and confused.
Angry because they are totally ripping off Gwar, and doing it totally badly!
Confused because some people here think they play good music?

80's Metal is cool , but this is a seriously LAME attempt. This sounds nothing like what was cool about 80's metal. These guys seriously suck. And the costumes do to.
Gwar would eat these amateurs and eject them through their black booger filled nostrils!

Last edited:

Nines

With Rage Alive
Oct 12, 2004
Sweden
kortniechan said:
OK I really should Not have read this thread, Because now i am just angry and confused.
Angry because they are totally ripping off Gwar, and doing it totally badly!
Confused because some people here think they play good music?

80's Metal is cool , but this is a seriously LAME attempt. This sounds nothing like what was cool about 80's metal. These guys seriously suck. And the costumes do to.
Gwar would eat these amateurs and eject them through their black booger filled nostrils!

Umm, Lordi's costumes is Lordi's own invention, and they are inspired by old horror movies, not Gwar.
In fact, I don't think Lordi even knows Gwar.
Lordi's costumes is much better made than Gwar's, at least as far as I have seen.
I don't like Gwar's music, but I love Lordi's, so it's a matter of opinion.