Duke Nukem Forever Update

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Voodoo Extreme dug up some comments from an actual living, breathing human being at 3D Realms who had a few bits of information to share on Duke Nukem Forever. George Broussard, offered this information in a number of forum posts at the 3DR forum. Here's a morsel on a few returning weapons:

CixrTyx: Will the shrinkray be in DNF?
Bring back the Freeze Ray too!

Broussard: We're bringing them both back. They were too fun, and part of what made Duke 3D unique.

SiN-BiN

Aug 21, 2004
u mean that th people at 3D Realms ARE indeed Humans :O:O!!!!!!! i've been living a lie!

mackey

Cometh the apocalypse.
Aug 27, 2004
England
www.fpscentral.com
What amazes me is that on a reasonably large games retailers site, DNF is 3rd on the pre-orders list. I can't really understand that one lol, the fans must have faith ;)

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
anytime I see that George has revealed a little about the "game" I kind of just laugh because the way he says it seems like he's just making it up as he goes.

"So...Freeze and Shrink Ray?"

Broussard: (uh...oh...crap) "Yeah! Yeah! Definitley both we are DEFINITELY putting both in"

another good one was with the "bot AI" which probably doesn't exist either. Hell, DNF probably doesnt exist.

bid

Sep 27, 2004
Daedalus said:
anytime I see that George has revealed a little about the "game" I kind of just laugh because the way he says it seems like he's just making it up as he goes.

"So...Freeze and Shrink Ray?"

Broussard: (uh...oh...crap) "Yeah! Yeah! Definitley both we are DEFINITELY putting both in"

another good one was with the "bot AI" which probably doesn't exist either. Hell, DNF probably doesnt exist.

Hey man leave Duke alone, he's been busy fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Wookiee

Lets Rock
Aug 4, 2004
I want that game so bad, but I've been waiting so long it's hard not to lose intrest. Sort of like how it was for Doom 3, except I liked that game a lot. I hope DNF turns out as good as D3d :)

Even if it sucks, I'll probably buy it anyway...

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
You don't have to hope too hard, it obviously never will be.

Jul 26, 2003
Australia
Nemephosis said:
You don't have to hope too hard, it obviously never will be.

And why is that exactly? Is it because 3DR have pumped so much money and development time into it. Or is it because Take 2 will sue the **** out of 3DR if they decide not to finish it. Or is it because Duke Nukem is 3DR's most popular franchise and DNF has been so highly anticipated over the last decade. Or is because the mighty grand you proclaimed "it obviously will never be released" :rolleyes:

It'll be released when it's released. Who cares how long it's delayed? At this point in time i don't give a **** when it comes out. There are plenty of other things to do and games to play in the mean time.

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
Yeah you keep thinking that, but just know: games don't go eight years in development and switch engines three times. None except this one that is.

Now since you're some nobody who thought he just took a shot at me, I'll just pretend you didn't. You'll have to do better than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 26, 2003
Australia
So i take it, you're going with the 4th option? Because the mighty grand you proclaimed it, so therefore it must be. What an ego. Shall i bow down to you or shall i just tell you to that if i flop it out, you can start sucking, bitch. I think the latter.

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
Okay then, please show me some media from this game that suggests it is coming out. That is not older than two years.

edit: never mind that last part, you'll be hard-pressed enough to find anything as it is. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 26, 2003
Australia
So i take it, you've never heard of Half Life 2? :rolleyes:
6 years development, 60+ people working at Valve, no media until 1/12 years before release (just over half a year before intended release). DNF is the same on a much larger scale. I have no idea when DNF will come out, but it will come out. Saying it's not is just so childish, it's like it's born from offence taken by the fact 3DR is keeping everyone in the dark. Like it's some sort of personal attack on you.

Also, the fact that they changed engines twice (twice, not three times. Quake 2 > Unreal 1 > UE2.x), means they scrapped the first 3-4 years work (as was said by Broussard).

Last edited:

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
No media until 1 1/2 years before release, eh.

DNF has (supposedly) been in dev for 8, so even if they were to start showing "early screens" that means.... 9 1/2 total? At the very least?

How do you know it WILL come out? Because they keep saying so?

And I can think of things a lot more childish than me saying it won't come out. Some of them, you've already posted.

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
I have stated points. It's others who can't say anything without flaming. :)

I mean unless asking for game media is insulting or something. Then I'm a downright bastard.

Jul 26, 2003
Australia
You didn't state any points aside from your belief that DNF for some unknown reason, will not come out (as i said with HL2's 6 year development, the fact that DNF's development time has been 8 years means nothing (4-5 years if you count the scrapping of the first 3-4 years work during the engine swap). I stated my points in my first post as to why it will.

Last edited:

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
And then promptly told me to suck your dick.

You tell me. What could possibly be wrong in this picture?