DooM open beta weekend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
And seeing that you are adding a new graphics card to your rig, let me say that the new Nvidias - the 1070 is what I picked up - rock. I was playing with shadows on medium, no DOF, no motion blur and pretty much everything else on ultra; my 280x 3GB kept around 40 ~ 60 FPS @ 1440p/96Hz.

Now, with the 1070, "nightmare" cache size and lighting is opened up (8GB of VRAM) as well as TSSAA 8TX being viable and oh my...a very different game. 80 ~ 120 FPS and it really looks amazing; a very noticeable difference in visual fidelity and smooth as silk. IdTech 6 really shines when it has the horsepower to show off.

So, if you can afford it, get at least the 1070. It only draws 150w but outperforms the 980Ti pretty much across the board. I haven't even started thinking about overclocking yet, which apparently yields a significant boost. I don't think Polaris will touch these cards, so unless you want to wait until Vega in 2017, these are the cards to beat.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Hey Neo, with Doom Eternal around the block did you get down to play Doom? If so, what're your thoughts?

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I hadn't noticed that game. Looks like they've finally managed getting back to the whole "invasion earth" thing. It only took them 23 years. I was getting tired of the whole Mars angle.
To my regrets I haven't yet tried the 2016 DooM. But it looks like it could be enjoyable.

Did play some interesting Doom 2 mods. Ashes 2063 was one of the best. Really recommend this one.