UT3 Doctor Who Time War Mod

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DoctorWhoMod

May 20, 2009
Blackpool, England
Hi there. My name is Dean and I have been in the gaming industry for over 20 years. I was in charge of the art team on the biggest selling Star Wars game EVER "Star Wars Battlefront" just to get my credentials out the way :D

Anyway. I just wanted to let everyone know that I am currently working on a huge mod as part of my BA degree in entertainment Media.

I am jsut getting up to speed with the Unreal Engine and have got my first couple of characters running around (though textures and bits are missing off some parts, but thats all part of the learning).

So I just wanted to let you all know that the Mod I am making is called "Doctor Who - The Time War" and basically will be a Multiplayer mass army Star Wars Battlefront style game that will feature all of the major Doctor Who aliens and Monsters fighting through time and space in epic battles. I have been wanting to make this game for as long as I can remember and fueled by the fact that I did Star Wars Battlefront I thought this would be a good time to do this.

so far I have made a Dalek, Cyberman and Sontaran, Here are a few images to show you my work in progress.
cyberman3quarters.jpg

Shot at 2009-05-21
dalek3quarter.jpg

sontaran3q.jpg

I have managed to get the Cyberman and Sontaran in game (with a few hiccups here and there) but getting the Daleks in as playable characters might be more of a problem. I am thinking that I could make the Daleks work as a vehicle and somehow get them in as playable characters that way but thats going to be a while off. One step at a time.

So my plan at the moment is getting a few characters in and running around working 100%, then get an enviroment done for them, then look at the gameplay side of things wich will be the more technical and difficult phase and might need help with a coder on that. But that will be a few months away yet.

If I have time I want to incorporate a single player /Co-op adventure to the game too where you control the Doctor and a companion.

So as you can see its very ambitious but Its going to be a labour of love and hopefully at the end of it (however long it takes) I will be able to get the game out to you guys and have a play.

I will keep you all posted with the progress.

all the best and thanks for looking.

Dean :D

Sportaçus

Protecting the citizens of Lazytown.
Feb 17, 2009
People with talent such as yours should be outside curing sicknesses.;)

strangelet

May 13, 2004
first off, props for SWBF - the art direction on that was adorable, and its my fav sw game since tie fighter. you did great on the limited resources of the ps2 version which i played a ton. shame it crashed like a beech in the great why-tf-wont-it-read-my-disc scandal of 2004.

Second - wow. you sure picked an *interesting* game to make. youve obviously been thinking about it for years so ill assume theres a plan - i wonder how you're going to make playing any of the ridiculously design-flawed aliens any fun?

are you going to brute-force your way down the SWBF path and just *make* the characters fit the game, or do you have something more unique planned?

also i take it there will be no doctor in MP :( or perhaps all of them.... i look forward with glee to the *quizzical glance* feature, the *talk complete nonsense* feature and the *silly looking scarf* weapon.

over at AFF:planetstorm we've been heavily inspired by both the gameplay and the art of battlefront, we wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
The media is looking great, but unless you've got permission from the BBC, you're going to have a cease and desist order thrown your way very quickly; they're very, very defensive over their Dr Who property.

DoctorWhoMod

May 20, 2009
Blackpool, England
People with talent such as yours should be outside curing sicknesses.;)

Cheers buddy Much appreciated.

first off, props for SWBF - the art direction on that was adorable, and its my fav sw game since tie fighter. you did great on the limited resources of the ps2 version which i played a ton. shame it crashed like a beech in the great why-tf-wont-it-read-my-disc scandal of 2004.

Second - wow. you sure picked an *interesting* game to make. youve obviously been thinking about it for years so ill assume theres a plan - i wonder how you're going to make playing any of the ridiculously design-flawed aliens any fun?

are you going to brute-force your way down the SWBF path and just *make* the characters fit the game, or do you have something more unique planned?

also i take it there will be no doctor in MP :( or perhaps all of them.... i look forward with glee to the *quizzical glance* feature, the *talk complete nonsense* feature and the *silly looking scarf* weapon.

over at AFF:planetstorm we've been heavily inspired by both the gameplay and the art of battlefront, we wish you the best of luck.

Many thanks for loving Star WArs Battlefront. It was probably my greatest game I have done. Much appreciated.

In regards the gameplay. I have a plan but at the moment am taking things a step at a time. Initially to get things just working in Unreal, then after I have got characters, levels etc working I will look at the coding side to give it an original slant. Lots to do and lots of sleepless nights ahead I think ;)

Hopefully if all goes to plan the doctor will be playable in the singleplayer mode. But I might be burnt out by then. LOL We shall see.

The media is looking great, but unless you've got permission from the BBC, you're going to have a cease and desist order thrown your way very quickly; they're very, very defensive over their Dr Who property.

As far as I can see the BBC are quite leniant with fan produced works as long as they are non profit. There have been quite a few fan made doctor who games so I wont be making anything that should get them breathing down my neck. Well so far so good anyway.

The Time War is a game modification for Command and Conquer: 3 Tiberium Wars, the monumental sequel to the extremely popular Command and Conquer series. The Time War will allow the player to immerse themselves in the immense world of Doctor Who. Command the great Dalek Empire, exterminating all vermin in your path, plunging races into certain doom with superior numbers, abominable weaponry, strategic attack or take the stealthy approach, with the mysterious Cult of Skaro(Dalek Thay, Dalek Sec, Dalek Jast, and Dalek Caan) and the Void.
that sounds awesome. Yes the time war is oopen to many interpretations. I will have to check that out. Is there a link?

Leonardo

Old fart on top the mountain.....
Name is steve, just some guy in an underground bunker working on his own little project as well to some degree with help from friends. I just sent your link to a fellow team mate so be prepared to be glompified and she's in the uk as well. so be doubly wary XD lol ! She's a really big fan of The Dr. himself so this will more or less be a highlight for hew week I'm betting.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Exterminate! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINAAAAATE!

The models look awesome and spot on with the design in the series. Star Wars Battlefront is a game I remember wanting to play but never got the chance to. Silly me :D

Good luck with the mod.

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
Great models, but try to think more outside of the box when it comes to the game design; instead of just straight up fighting, how about it have a much smaller amount of players and multiplayer puzzle based; or make it single player and allow the player to jump back and forth in time through the level.

The time war wasn't a "war" in that it was fought by armies duking it out on the battlefield, it was where time itself was used as a weapon (to quote the actual show) - so I think if you just give everybody guns and psychic abilities and have them duke it out mano el mano, you're going to miss a big gameplay and originality opportunity.

Leonardo

Old fart on top the mountain.....
Mr. Betton sir, with UDK out and all? Will you be moving your project over as a stand alone Game Platform and will you be sticking with the PC or do you think there might be a Possiblity on a PS3 Port as well for the fans w/o a PC ?

ElmaStar

Jan 11, 2010
Hey there DoctorWhoMod!

I was pointed in your direction by a member on another forum because I too am working on a Doctor Who Mod for the Unreal engine (originally for the source engine but due to restrictions moved over).
I was looking for someone to help create the character models, maybe we could pool our resources or something?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/doctor-who-source

I look forward to hearing from you :D