UT3 DM-Autumn Fog

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

acapulco

Mar 6, 2009
So, now I think its time to present my first map here too. It is a little Deathmatch map for 1on1 or 2on2. As said, it is my first map, so I'm not a genius at floorplanning or weapon and powerup placement.
It was very important for me to make everything by myself, means everything is done by myself. Meshs, textures, all by me. Except the one waterfall coming from above the floor, thats epicstuff. Rest is selfmade. Learned so much by making this map.
Working on it now since middle december and think it's near finished. But lighting is not the best. Thats where I have close to 0 experience and have to learn alot, especially how to get what effect. Just got to practice.

Yeah, so... some concept I drew for lighting first of all, but never got really close to it. Just don't really know how.

AF-concept1_2.jpg

Have so much more scribbles, but too lazy to scan and most are just there fixing ideas.
Ya, now to the screenshots, no one loads a map without screenshots:

afFinal1.jpg

afFinal2.jpg

afFinal3.jpg

afFinal4.jpg

afFinal5.jpg

afFinal6.jpg

afFinal7.jpg

afFinal8.jpg

~~~ Download ~~~

Comments and critics are very much appreciated. Thanks for the attention spent,

acapulco

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Judging from the screenshots, I'd have to say it looks neat. I like all the custom stuff. The concept art you posted is very nice too.

Downloading now.

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
Damn, that looks sweet (concept art, too)! Too bad it's relatively small, though, would be great as a medium-large TDM. Nonetheless, I'll try to stuff 11 bots in there, as I always do. :)

DazJW

Mar 25, 2008
I haven't played it yet, just spectated around.
It needs some blocking volumes over the top, I flew all the way up and out to where I could get a hall of mirrors.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I was staring at the shots for a moment, until I realized they weren't concept art, but actual in-game shots. All this because the content doesn't look retail, and there are more colors than usual. Nice job.

Very nice concept art BTW, I will try this one out.

Also here's a baddie you will love in the console FYI.
tiledshot 4

If you didn't knew, it takes multiple screenshots to make a single uber high res screenshot. Any decent LD's such as yourself should use it for the maximum of quality. Read more here.

Last edited:

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
If you do a tiled shot, and you can make some HUGE ones if you setres to something stupid first and tiled shots at 16. Although it can result in crashes :D And Screens in GBs

But before you take one

showhud

to remove the HUD otherwise each tile gets the HUD plastered on top.

Map looks nice btw, great concept are too :)

acapulco

Mar 6, 2009
So first of all, thanks a lot for the comments.

hal
Thanks, let me know what u think of ingame.

Interbellum
Yeah, it's small, know that. Wanted to create something not too difficult for getting started. Thanks anyways.

DazJW
Will fix that, never thought about that. =)

Kantham
Thanks a lot for this command. Didn't know that. Just what I'll need in few time!

Cr4zyB4st4rd
Ya, will have that in mind, thanx too.

Luv_Studd
Let me hear what u think after havin played it.

acapulco

Mar 6, 2009
Yeah, now thats the final one. It's so to say Autumn Fog 1.0. Redirected the lighting to get more of the concepts feeling in it. If it really works I don't know, you have to judge.
Hope evryone will like it that way. Deleted the red plants, replaced them by shrooms. Better choice I think. More on the concepts side than the red dots.

Yeah, so its final. Good feeling!

afFinal2-1.jpg

afFinal2-2.jpg

afFinal2-3.jpg

afFinal2-4.jpg

afFinal2-5.jpg

afFinal2-6.jpg

~~~~ Download ~~~~

Thanks all!

aca

acapulco

Mar 6, 2009
I don't have any idea... Perhaps some shaders too much. Don't really know =[ Will get on this end of may I hope.
Like it anyway?

Luv_Studd

Aug 17, 1999
VT
Visit site
It's beautiful, and it looks like it would have great gameplay...just wish I could play it! :)

I wonder if it's something "simple" that could be fixed, as it doesn't look like you have that much going on in there... I've seen other levels with their own custom terrain meshes (like DM-Worm, for example) that play smooth as butter.

jayoplus

Feb 20, 2008
Very nice map there aca.

It definitely looks beautiful. I played with default settings and it was smooth for me.

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
Im getting ridiculously low frame rates on my side too. It didnt slow down in the ed so im guessing its some real time effect.
Scratch that it may have something to do with the map being uncooked

Last edited:

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
I'm getting really bad fps as well. Also, every time you die you get a big fat HOM, and every time a bot gets fragged it just instantly vanishes instead of gibbing or going ragdoll.

The layout and overall look of the map are very good, though.

jayoplus

Feb 20, 2008
Okay.
I went back and played again with fps log... with the same settings I had an average fps of 32. Not bad (guess that's why it was smooth) but I average about 70 on stock maps with same settings.

acapulco

Mar 6, 2009
Damn that sucks. I really don't know why I've got such a bad performance in there. I don't really know much about performance and optimizing, but I'm way under the normal epic polycount of a map and just got around 6 to 8 shaders in there.
Perhaps taking out some of them?!

Luv_Studd

Aug 17, 1999
VT
Visit site
Damn that sucks. I really don't know why I've got such a bad performance in there. I don't really know much about performance and optimizing, but I'm way under the normal epic polycount of a map and just got around 6 to 8 shaders in there.
Perhaps taking out some of them?!

Do you have any dynamic lights going on? I know you got a few emitters, but generally have not had problems with them on other maps.

You may want to check UDN website regarding optimization also, if you haven't already. Before doing anything drastic on shaders or whatever. May be something in there that will help out.

If the map wasn't cooked before releasing, don't know what that would do, but if that could be done and tested, it might be a good idea.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
Very artistic screenshots :p
I'm glad you took out the red plant things, they where the only thing i didn't like.
well done.