Delays In PC Version of Tom Clancy's EndWar Due To Piracy

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
PC gaming has ALWAYS been a hobbyist platform, where people love to tinker with their machines, optimize performance, program their own games. If you just want to blow **** up after 10 hours at the office, consoles simply offer an easier barrier to enjoyment than PCs. When MP was pretty much the sole domain of PC games, "normal" people would put up with the hassles in exchange for the fun. Now you can get the same (and arguably superior) experience on consoles without the "techy" barrier to entry.

Now add KB/M as standard and still release modding tools for the PC and we have a deal. :)

Ogs

Da Bomb
Mar 3, 2006
PC gaming has ALWAYS been a hobbyist platform, where people love to tinker with their machines, optimize performance, program their own games. If you just want to blow **** up after 10 hours at the office, consoles simply offer an easier barrier to enjoyment than PCs. When MP was pretty much the sole domain of PC games, "normal" people would put up with the hassles in exchange for the fun. Now you can get the same (and arguably superior) experience on consoles without the "techy" barrier to entry.

Bang on the money, thats what my m8s are like, they used to put up with the PC to play games online, but since consoles are now doing it (especially with Live and how easy theyve made it to play with friends) they just dont play on the PC anymore, and as much as it annoys me (i love my pc gaming) i totally see there reasons. Theres so much thats required of a pc gamer that you really have to dig in and learn about things. Why havent Microsoft put together some sort of driver updater, that keeps things like graphics cards, sound cards, motherboard chipset drivers etc updated, so people can just get on with things ? Thats just one thing that would help (and i have ideas on shed loads more) but i just dont see it happening. Bah end of rant it annoys me too much :).

Edit: Question, if your able to answer, if UT3 was released just for the PC, would it of made profit (simply going by the figures the PC has sold). Just curious :).

Last edited:

DorDuke82

Mar 13, 2008
Saxony, Germany
Why havent Microsoft put together some sort of driver updater, that keeps things like graphics cards, sound cards, motherboard chipset drivers etc updated, so people can just get on with things ? Thats just one thing that would help (and i have ideas on shed loads more) but i just dont see it happening. Bah end of rant it annoys me too much :).

Windows Vista does just that with Windows Update - it does not update your drivers everytime when for example NVidia releases new WQHL Drivers but everytime a really crytical update is available and from the reports of Windows7 Milestones Windows7 will build upon it and offer Driver and Games Updates through Windows Games Explorer.

Ogs

Da Bomb
Mar 3, 2006
Windows Vista does just that with Windows Update - it does not update your drivers everytime when for example NVidia releases new WQHL Drivers but everytime a really crytical update is available and from the reports of Windows7 Milestones Windows7 will build upon it and offer Driver and Games Updates through Windows Games Explorer.

Sure, but with the GFX drivers they really needed to be updated frequently within the first year of Vista, as they were fixing things that really needed fixing asap (it didnt help that Nvidia kept making people use Beta drivers either). Wouldnt surprise me if many people saw the crashing and errors and gave up. Same with Automatic Game Updates, why wasnt this put into Vista aswell ? Thats another thing thats needed crucially really imo (publishers dont even bother to update the games official site with the latest patch). Also, there was a Hotfix pre-SP1 which was a damned neccesity to fix problems with games crashing (some virtual memory thing), which they didnt offer via windows update, so unless you read the bulletin, you wouldnt know about it, and more unhappy PC gaming problems occur. Same with XP, if you had a dual core proccesor, and didnt know to get the proccesor driver, dual core optimizer or the windows hotfix, you simply wouldnt know things arnt running as there supposed to. Its stuff like this that, imo, is making people turn away from the PC.

Last edited:

Entr0p1cLqd

May 25, 2004
You don't think that maybe that has something to do with the hundreds of millions that Microsoft and Sony put into advertising for high profile, high budget games on their consoles in what is likely an ultimately futile attempt to recoup the hundreds of dollars lost on each console sold? You think maybe if the PC version got even close to the advertising budget the console versions did, you'd be seeing similar sales across the platforms?
An excellent point; especially given the penchant for staggered releases.

When GoW was released for the 360 it was everywhere. I missed the PC release completely and only happened upon it by accident.

GTA-IV got masses of hype and marketing thrown at it for the console releases. GTA-IV for the PC comes out on the 21st November and no-one knows about it.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
The cold hard truth definitely is that the pc always was and always will be a hobbyist platform.
There simply is no product in the entire world that is as user-unfriendly as a pc.
There also is no production-process as broken as the stupidity that is software-development.
IMHO it is a freakin' miracle that pc-games sell at all.
Any other industry that tried to use the same strategy would have been in a world of hurt by now.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Not every customer we want to sell to has internet access, Steam takes a slice of the revenue, and that fact for a significant portion of PC gamers Steam is as loathed as any DRM jump immediately to mind. Ultimately all existing anti-piracy efforts have a "nuisance" overhead cost, and Steam is no different in my opinion.

Just wondering, do the comments on console games being cheaper to make hold any weight? I just dont see how thats the case but I am interested in how people come to that conclusion.

I do realize that there is less options on consoles but there are added costs Im sure for developing on console. Like for example the cost of development console boxes, maybe the console makers take on these losses themselves instead of transferring them onto the developer. Im just not sure since Im not a developer myself.

Consoles essentially have inbuilt DRM so again the costs are just moved from one area to another, it doesnt mean they arnt still there, as an eg a MS published game wouldnt cost anymore for MS to put DRM on PC then it does on console I would assume. Since it is in the platform though that means the cost is spread across the board more, much like developers putting their games on steam.

I have seen a brilliant idea suggested though, I think it was Jafo who said about encrypted keys much like prepaid mobile phones use. My suggestion was DVD's etc in caddies especially for gaming and the non ability to copy from them (encrypted file system and hardware decoding). So costs can be spread out but developers/publishers need to come together to find the solution, sure PC might never sell as well as consoles but I do get the feeling that people are just moving to consoles and not looking back.

Thos two solutions seem to me that they would make it harder to pirate PC games than console games. Who knows going into the future though, Im still really interested in what MS are going to do if they dont have bluray, multiple discs will be a killer for online gaming unless ofcoarse they add installs to the list. Just makes consoles more like PC's in the end, I mean look at the specs of the original xbox and what people did with those.

os][ris

May 10, 2006
Not every customer we want to sell to has internet access, Steam takes a slice of the revenue, and that fact for a significant portion of PC gamers Steam is as loathed as any DRM jump immediately to mind. Ultimately all existing anti-piracy efforts have a "nuisance" overhead cost, and Steam is no different in my opinion.

I should add that I personally don't believe piracy is the sole reason why PC retail is withering. I think it has as much to do with genres like FPS successfully migrating to consoles (IMO), that consoles offer a more consistent gaming experience (no driver updates, no hunting for patches, runs at expected perf), and traditional PC platform edges like MP now easily enjoyed on consoles.

I'd have to agree there. As much as I love my pc, the console does offer an "easier" gaming experience. I bought a ps3 in august and have had more fun playing it then I ever thought I would.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
If you cannot understand, then let me point it out. While you are busy leaving your machine downloading a full game illegally, you are uploading chunks of it to other people who want it free too
Torrents aren't the only way to pirate a game
Torrents are popular but risky since it's possible to track who is downloading the chunks

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I don't work for Epic, I have no connection with them. The company I work for releases our AAA, award winning, multiplatform titles simultaneously on PC and consoles, we generally don't stagger our releases. The console versions still sell 5x as many copies every time.
You do realize there are A LOT more people that play on consoles vs. PCs, right? It's impossible for PC games to sell as well due to the hugeness of the other market. It's like marketing a piece of equipment to football fans and badminton fans simultaneously and then complaining that the much smaller badminton group didn't buy as much. Well, duh! :eek:

Consoles are popular now. They're more "social," easy, cheap, and more comfy to play (computer chairs vs a couch/recliner is no fair fight). And with interbutts connectivity, they get updates, patches, and extra content too, something that used to be exclusive to PC gamers. Naturally, a game offered to both consoles and PCs will sell better on consoles since millions upon millions more people play them.

Is piracy an issue? Sure. But it's nowhere near as big of a deal as companies want people to think. See: Stardock's PC games without any copy protection or DRM. They all sold well. But you'd probably like us to believe that no one bought them, wouldn't you? :x

I should add that I personally don't believe piracy is the sole reason why PC retail is withering. I think it has as much to do with genres like FPS successfully migrating to consoles (IMO), that consoles offer a more consistent gaming experience (no driver updates, no hunting for patches, runs at expected perf), and traditional PC platform edges like MP now easily enjoyed on consoles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK then - straight question: What is your prefered platform when you play UT3 - PC, XBOX or PS? And few reasons why?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Is piracy an issue? Sure. But it's nowhere near as big of a deal as companies want people to think. See: Stardock's PC games without any copy protection or DRM. They all sold well. But you'd probably like us to believe that no one bought them, wouldn't you? :x
If you have to make niche games to move units, is that any better? I'd wager that many people didn't pirate SoSA or Galactic Empires because they simply had no interest in them.

In fact, what I'd like to see is, how many FPS/TPS games are pirated in comparison to other genres of games. I'd be willing to put money on that FPS games are pirated multiple times greater than any other genre.

The other thing is (and I know you didn't mention this) that those games "sold well" for PC games, but they didn't sell well compared to games on any other platform.

Finally, I don't think advertising has anything to do with it. Most console games don't get so-called "Emergence Day Advertising" and they still sell millions.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
I wish they could make a PC game totally secure from piracy. Hype the crap out of it and make it look like the latest greatest thing. Then, if said game sucks, and it doesn't sell, then maybe just maybe, devs will realize that if the product sucks, no one will buy it.

Besides, Starcraft 2 is around the corner. When that game is released, EVERYONE will see its not piracy that kills sales, its A) the apparent lack of quality in most games released these days and B) the fact that most major releases get into bed with Intel, Nvidia, ATI and the like, and as a result have high system requirements. We are in a day and age when upgrading a computer isnt needed as frequently as it used to be, UNLESS you're a gamer. BTW, when's the last time you've seen a game that has the little nvidia or intel splash screens?

The products kill themselves.

Labnetik

Trapped In Unreality
May 10, 2006
England, UK
www.acidtechno.net
fanboys, who spend £10 a month for wow for the rest of their lives when that money could have gone on 5 other games a year :rolleyes:

fanboys, who pay for wow but pirate all other games :eek:

lol at wow which stays in the pc top ten forever

lol at mr t advertising for wow on uk tv (alot)

lol at wow overhype and overprofit

lol at ripped off suckers

sorry, no offence to any wow "subscribers".

lol at being subscribed to a game.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
Consoles should go back to where they started... ...the first gaming console I owned (a few weeks before the 2600)looked like this:

odyssey2.jpg

Now all we need is a mouse... :)

Labnetik

Trapped In Unreality
May 10, 2006
England, UK
www.acidtechno.net
Consoles should go back to where they started... ...the first gaming console I owned (a few weeks before the 2600)looked like this:

odyssey2.jpg

Now all we need is a mouse... :)

I threw my atari st or whatever it was in the bin a couple of years ago, thought no one would want it on ebay :( I never really used it and it was just gathering dust plus I had played the games on it alot, I originally bought it 2nd hand for music purposes but when I got a PC I didn't need it anymore.

it had a mouse and joysticks of course and could do games, early graphics stuff i think, and was of course hugely popular with music producers who used music software with its midi ports.

sold all the games/apps for a bit of money though.